R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan my truck power the fridge while towing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can my truck power the fridge while towing?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I traveled I90 thru New York. About every 25 feet is a sign saying it is illegal to travel with the propane running.

I was up that way 4 years ago and don't recall those signs.  Honestly, at this point I'm not sure I took I95, although it certainly connect the dots.  Anyway, that seems very unusual.  Were you approaching a tunnel or bridge?

You do have a little generator; an alternator actually.  Maybe it's not big enough or maybe the wiring is too small. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:00pm
I can see it if one were in the city limits or approaching one of the tunnels. BTW, I90 does not run through NYC. It does run through New York and south of Albany, continues east to Boston.

This is the only information I can find about LP restrictions in New York State:

LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Jersey City in the Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee, New Jersey lower level of the George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and the George Washington Bridge Expressway between Manhattan and Weehawken, New Jersey: Lincoln Tunnel. LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Brooklyn on the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and between Manhattan and Queens on the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

All of these involve bridges or tunnels.

Likewise, LP restrictions exist for Baltimore because of tunnels. We ended up having to re-route on a trip to avoid the tunnels.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:38pm
Thanks for the info Stephen.  Guess that is one reason we never travel east, or in those areas.  If we ever do, we will find alternate routes, as you did.  Fortunately on our recent 30 day excursion out west, mainly to Colorado and Utah, and yes we went through some quite lengthy tunnels and NO signs that said no lp usage, we never had to deal with that, only with a plethora of spectacular,  amazing sights of nature, animals, shooting stars, people, a very worthwhile trip that I pray we never forget.  Glad my wife journals all the daily events we encountered.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 6:23pm
The difference is in the type of tunnel. When it goes through a mountain, there is generally a rise all the way through (or fall if going the other direction) or a higher place in the middle. Since LP is heavier than air, then it would tend to flow out of the tunnel. Under a river (or in the case of the bay bridge/tunnel, the middle of the tunnel is generally the lowest point. LP would then tend to flow toward that point where it could accumulate to a level where ignition is possible. That is why LP tanks need to be shut off when going through those type tunnels. Open road? There is no reason to require that LP gas tanks be turned off.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:57am
The Norfolk tunnels all restrict propane use as well, for the same reasons. I think there is another one in Houston.  I go through the Norfolk tunnels a lot and they make you stop to prove that your cylinders are shut off.  I usually just switch over to 12V battery use at that point so I don't need to stop a second time. Its not a big deal, certainly not a reason to avoid travelling east. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123