Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewby in Denver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby in Denver
    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 1:46pm
Hi y'all! Yes, I'm from Texas but have been in Colorado for over 40 years so that counts, right? Anyway, I am the proud new owner of an older (2011) 181G. It's an upgrade from the 1964 Winnebago 116 we've been rebuilding for 3 years. Much more complicated than the vintage spam-can, but I know it will be much more comfortable and tow better with my little S-10 pickup. A couple of things have popped up already, mainly having to do with interior decoration. My wife wants to hang clothes hooks on the wall outside the toilet room, where there is the control panel for the tanks and batteries as well as the light switch for the toilet room. Has anyone driven screws into this or any other interior wall, and where do the wires for the aforementioned switch  and panel run? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the need for an equalizing and/or sway bar hitch? Lastly, has anyone repacked the wheel bearings and replaced the brake shoes? I'm a fairly decent wrench-bender but don't want to immediately bite off more than I can chew. Thanks!
Jack S
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:35pm
Welcome from northern Michigan Jack S!  Cannot help on clothes hooks as my wife prefers to use velcro on the walls, also used behind both seat backs so they don't always fall away from the wall when you get up off the seat.  We purchased our 177 back in January 2011 and have basically towed it with a sway bar link for over 27,000 miles with either a '08 or '13 Explorer.  On the '08 it was a necessity, couldn't get over 35 mph without a sway that was scary to say the least.  I would at least get a sway bar, seeing you are towing with a vehicle with a short wheelbase.  What is the tow capacity of your S-10?  You will certainly put it through its paces where you live.  We have been to RMNP, Denver, Cotopaxie, and surrounds 3 times in the last 7 years and we certainly felt a good pull through the mountain passes in CO.  This year we are upgrading from our '13 Explorer (keeping it) to an '11 F-150 with a V-8 and only 123,000 miles, certainly an upgrade from our '94 F-150 with V-8 and stick with 322,000 miles.  This spring I replaced and repacked new bearings figuring that I should go through it all with a fine tooth comb with all the miles.  Realized I didn't really need to replace the bearings but did so anyway as I couldn't return them.  Used a grease with graphite in it, something we used at the golf course I worked at for all our equipment.  Brake shoes, even with 27,000 miles are still in very good condition.  Lots of highway miles so wear is minimal.  We will be in your area September 3 to visit my wife's aunt, may be the last time we get to visit as her health is very poor and she hardly gets around any more.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jastds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 11:34am
Thanks, Jim! Yeah it'll be a good test pulling over the mountains with the S-10. I towed it from Pueblo, where I bought it, to Denver and it was 103 degrees so we had to run without a/c or the truck tries to overheat. Rather I be overheated than the engine! Trailer felt pretty steady but I can't help but think that an equalizer and sway bar might help, especially in crosswinds. Brakes felt a little grabby, so I'm wondering about wear and how difficult it might be to work on them. Happy trails!
Jack S
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:18pm
Not too difficult to remove, especially if you have ever removed drum brakes off an older vehicle.  On my 177, once the tire/wheel is removed and you take off the center cap there is a cotter pin to remove followed by removing the castle nut or regular nut and washer behind it.  Should be able to remove drum at this point, if not, remove rubber plug behind wheel and with a straight edge screwdriver, turn the star wheel to loosen the brakes then the wheel will come off.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:35pm
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply