R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Mobile Data plan that works for me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Mobile Data plan that works for me!
    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 3:57pm
I travel quite a bit in Canada and plan much more in the future. If this a VZ company, Canada may be costly.. Have you looked into this at all?

Several reasons for dropping VZ and going to AT&T, big one is Canada is home turf. No extra charges. 

Also from the Nor'East and plan on doing quite a bit more backroad exploring in the Maritimes. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 4:19pm
Olddawgsrule,

Visible isn't available in Canada yet. I use T-Mobile Prepaid iPad plan (5Gb/five months) and AT&T (Canada and Mexico) included in my Family share plan (unlimited talk and text and 1 Gb data on each phone.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Offgrid,

Yeah, I battle spam calls all the time. W/Google voice @ home, we just don't pick up the phone if we don't recognize the number and every once in a while I go online and block a bunch of them. Not too bad.

Prolly crazy, but I'm not ready to drop AT&T (wireless) just yet. Been with them for 30+ years, back when I could get a free toaster oven negotiating a new rate! I am going to keep going with Visible as my RV Hotspot, at least as long as they keep proving themselves. I probably should switch, just old and stubborn. ;)

(I edited above cuz I figured you might have AT&T landline. I dropped Comcast landline years ago for VOIP via GV)

As far as connectivity goes, I totally agree with proximity to towers. I've been on the road all over the country with AT&T, VZ and T-Mobile. They all have dead zones. My experience...AT&T slight advantage over VZ. T-Mobile great on Interstates and big cities and Canada. So far, as you say, Visible is Verizon so shouldn't be any different. I have read that they do get throttle in congested areas - I don't hang around congested areas. Also, not sure if it's my old iPhone 6 or not, but I have toggled airplane mode a few times to search for new tower and better connection. Prolly just old phone.

If you do give Visible a try, please use my referral. I'm trying to see how many gigs I can get for nuthin! So far, I have used 30Gb in six weeks on Visible and they have paid me $20.00 for the privilege. Crazy, but true.

fred

No landline for many years. Total waste of money for me. Thanks for the suggestions. If I proceed, roger on the referral. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:42pm
We've had Google Voice instead of a landline for several years now. We do get a lot of spam on it, but GV is doing a good job of identifying it and marking it appropriately. It doesn't cost anything, so I see no need to turn it off.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 7:20am
I should clarify that there aren't that many spam calls on my GV line either. its not like GV is worse than other lines for that. I just don't use that line for anything anymore so its 100% spam.

Its a Bay Area number and most of the spam calls are in Chinese. Not sure if that's common in the Bay Area now or if somehow that particular number got picked up by Chinese spammers. Either way, its about 90% Chinese language spam, 10% English language spam, and 0% calls I actually want. Its gotten to be a bit of a joke because when I get a forwarded call from that number I put it on speaker and tell the family its time for another Chinese lesson. 

I've also kept it because it costs nothing and I thought I might find a reason to use the number again for something, now there might be one.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:57am
I get a lot of legitimate calls on my GV. Mainly because that is the number I give to people instead of my cell #. I prefer it because cell service at home is spotty, and my GV number works pretty much everywhere I go (at home GV comes through to my cell over WiFi), and when I'm actually in a cell coverage area, it comes through over that. Furthermore, GV transcribes any voicemail into text, and sends that to me. Finally, when I'm home, I can answer on my OBI, which I prefer to talking on the cell phone (it just works easier for me).

So it's a win, win, win, win.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 2:44pm
It's something to consider once my mother-in-law becomes incapacitated to the point where she can't use her cell phone. She lives in east-central West Virginia, which has pretty good AT&T coverage but almost no Verizon coverage due to the Greenbank Radio Observatory nearby.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12