Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pods vs. Class A motorhome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pods vs. Class A motorhome
    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 12:48pm
Just finished an interesting discussion with my neighbor and his friend who just came up from Florida with his 4 year old 34 foot Class A motorhome(name of motorhome is not given to protect the guilty).  He proceeded to tell me all the 'issues' he has had with his $ 400,000 investment, from leaks to electrical problems, plumbing problems, leaky tanks and issues with their GM 455 HP diesel engine.  He has had it in for repairs more than he has been able to enjoy. 

So . . . . . . I was asked about all the issues I have had with my 8+ year old 177.  I had to think long and hard because there haven't been any serious ones, a few small problems like having to add a lift kit last year because I was toasting to many rear risers.  Just last week we had our first big expense ever on the pod, and that was to repair the furnace at a price of $ 350  but other than that, it has been amazingly trouble-free.

My point is that I hear a lot about all the problems r-pods have but so do the big guys who spend more money on their Class A's than my home is worth.  As we have heard on this forum "when you travel with your home behind you at 60mph on roads that are anywhere from nice to bumpy enough to make your dentures fall out, things are going to happen.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 2:21pm
Never heard of a GM 455 hp diesel, (unless that is a reference to the Detroit engines)  but yeah, more complex things have more complex problems.

I see these youtube videos with RVs that are plagued with problems. Yeah my r-pod has had a couple of minor issues but nothing worth even bothering the dealer with.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 3:49pm
my neighbor is 80 and his friend with the motorhome is almost there as well.  Will have to go back and verify engine size, if he can rememberConfused
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 3:49pm
Probably a 8.1 Vortec. 496 Cubic inches, 340 HP, 455 pounds of torque. Class A common. Agree bigger and more expensive, more issues. Think rowboat and yacht. True of most all things.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 4:11pm
When I used to fly my homebuilt airplane, things "seemed" expensive to me. I was talking to a friend (who was also a pilot), and was holding in my hand some little part (I don't even remember what it was). I asked him "You know how much this cost?!?". He replied "$300.", which was remarkably close to what it cost. I said "How did you know?" He replied "Everything on an airplane can be measured in AUs (Aircraft Units), and that looked like it was about three of them. On your airplane, AUs are $100. If you were flying a Piper Malibu, an AU would be $1000."

LOL
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 4:17pm
Yep, complicated=expensive. 

You can buy simple inexpensive class A's that won't cost arm and a leg. I had an old 24 ft 1975 Revcon, had about the same stuff in it as an Rpod and was about the same size inside. Pretty cheap to keep up. The drivetrain was indeed a GM 455 (cubic inches not hp and a gasser not a diesel) straight out of the Olds Toronado. Plenty of power too!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 4:48pm
My Dad had a couple class As with those BB gassers, one was a 454 and the other was a 440, I recall they got about 8 miles to the gallon. Both were from the 70s.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 6:06pm
Similar conversation comparing an Airstream to an R-pod. A roughly equivalent Airstream/R-pod comparison would give the Airstream $3 for every $1 you spend on an R-pod. Going up to a lot of class As would be almost another order of magnitude.

We have a friend with a fairly fancy class A. I think he spent north of $700,000. It does have some extras though.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 6:27pm
  Reminds me of the Ford Maverick I owned Ford advertised it as a simple car that you can repair yourself. Similar to a simple r-pod most things you can repair yourself, far different from a motorhome.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 7:40pm
Greetings:
I've owned 2 Pods, a 171 and now a 179,  a 2010 and a 2015.  I've had few problems.  I'm camping right now in Blue Mound State Park by Laverne  MN.  I saw a class A try to park in a site last night.  Most SPs are not designed for large class A's.  I don't know if he got it parked at all.  
I know and have met many folks with class A's.  Every one has had major problems.  If I were to go larger, I would buy a TT or 5th wheel.  I have a limited budget and just glad to have what I got.    
Crankster78  R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>