R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedreplacing spoiler on rpod 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacing spoiler on rpod 179
    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 5:58pm
has anyone completely removed the plastic spoiler on the rpod and replaced it with  a better solution?
I was thinking of taking the whole thing off, re-gelcoating all of the screw holes, waterproofing the wire exit hole somehow, and making some type of alumium bracket to hold an 18" led strip light. THis way I could easily waterproof the aluminum bracket.
Im interested in seeing if anyone else has done something similar.
gary
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 9:20pm
Sounds like a good idea...it might 'spoil' the looks tho....(see what I did there?)

Geek
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:32am
I have a similar thought, I would do it to clear the area for a solar installation, and would attach the light strip to the back of the solar module instead of the roof. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Might run the wires through a cord connector while you're at it. 

Just be aware that that spoiler probably isn't just for looks, it likely does reduce drag on the trailer somewhat. The steep curve on the back of rpods is not a good aerodynamic feature, the spoiler directs some of the airflow up and away from the body at that point which ought to reduce drag. 

I notice that the new rPods have a more aggressive spoiler design, I wounder if that is purely intended as a cosmetic change or if FR is trying to improve the aerodynamics. Anybody know? 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:03am
I have a different opinion about that spoiler, I believe it IS for looks, and a handy place for the factory to mount some clearance lights. I am 99% sure that Forest River did ZERO wind tunnel testing on these r-pods.

The airflow behind the A/C unit, the vent cover, and the TV antenna create a 'dirty' airflow and completely negate any possible benefit that spoiler might have.

And even if it had some hope of reducing drag, I doubt that benefit would be enough to be measured.

You might recover some actual mpg benefit by sticking on some AirTab$...maybe!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 12:24pm
All I can say is that there is a similar aerodynamic detail on my Prius and its not there for looks or because Toyota didn't do any testing.  It actually partially blocks the rear visibility.  That car is their technology showpiece, they go to great lengths to achieve the highest possible fuel economy. So spoilers do reduce drag if done properly.  Whether in the case of the rPod it is cosmetic or completely negated by other features we just don't know. 

It is interesting that FR has made it bigger now. Did they do that because they think that enhances cosmetics or because they believe it does a better job at reducing drag? 

In the end its all opinion unless someone can either get some clear answers from FR or does some actual testing, which does not have to be done in a wind tunnel. Coast down tests can work also. 

No thanks on the funky airtabs.   LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ArthroPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 12:55pm
You might be interested in a post on flows on various configurations with the r pod under r pod air flow in rpod nation forum. It was posted a few years ago. Sorry couldn't   get the link here.
177 toad with Ford 150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 12:58pm
A first generation owner did modeling of the airflow, he was a fluid dynamics engineer. The spoiler did nothing but worsen the flow.
It was actually an afterthought, and 1st generation Pods had to be retrofitted with it, because they had no clearance lights at the top, and FR lost a little battle with the DOT about the width of the trailer and such requirements.. couple of threads about the spoiler and the light/DOT issues in the archives..

Here is a picture from the very first Kentucky minimini rally... circa 2012 at Green River State Park. (for those in the know the 2nd gen 181G is Travis the owner of the FB group)
Note the 2 rings pods with no spoiler, no clearance lights and no fender lights..

Our very first week out, Aug of 2011.. Again note no spoiler, lights etc.

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by offgrid

So spoilers do reduce drag if done properly.

That is my point....there is nothing about the spoiler on the r-pod that is done 'properly' (aerodynamically speaking)......so the OP should not worry about it at all.

He should feel free to modify as he sees fit...I look forward to pictures of the final result.

Approve
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by furpod

note the 2 rings pods with no spoiler, no clearance lights and no fender lights.. 

Such a clean, uncluttered look.

Thumbs Up
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by offgrid

So spoilers do reduce drag if done properly.

That is my point....there is nothing about the spoiler on the r-pod that is done 'properly' (aerodynamically speaking)......so the OP should not worry about it at all.

He should feel free to modify as he sees fit...I look forward to pictures of the final result.

Approve

You don't have data to support that statement, so its your opinion, Nor do I. 

Whether the spoiler does anything or not, certainly garyd can to whatever he wants, its his trailer. No one ever said otherwise. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>