R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic fridge problem - Event Date: 09 Mar 2019 - 10 Mar 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Dometic fridge problem
    Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 12:05pm
We’ve had quite the runaround with our dealer, Dometic, and Forrest River concerning our Dometic Fridge, model # RM8501 in our Rpod 179. It worked fine on either propane or shore for 4 years, then quit working on propane a few months ago. Our dealer determined it was the computer board, ordered a new one, supposedly tested it out for two days, assured us it was working, and we paid a good amount to bring it home. Within 24 hours it was apparent it wasn’t working. We called them and took it back in. They worked on it a little more, then they talked to a Dometic Technician, who told them this model wasn’t really built to keep things cold on propane. Well, it did for 4 years, and why would Forrest River put a fridge like that into an RV that’s supposed to be perfect for boondocking?? We are at a standstill-they are reluctant to give us any money back and we want a fridge that works on propane. 
Has anyone run across this problem?
Thanks
Skyward
Skyward
2014 179 R Pod
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 12:55pm
Wait, someone actually said that this fridge is not supposed to keep things cold on its primary energy source?

Ask them if they have ever heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. A toaster is supposed to toast bread. A car is supposed to go down the road. A basketball is supposed to bounce. An airplane is supposed to fly. And a refrigerator is supposed to keep food cold. Duh.

Either someone has no idea what they are talking about, or lied to you, or they are trying to make you go away.

Having said that, the warranty is over....you are likely on your own. Other than the dealer making good on your repair (or possibly offering credit towards a new fridge) since they may have mis-diagnosed the unit, you may have to just buy a new one.

----------------------------

Observation...what is the event date in March all about?
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm
Well, I don't like the statement that "they" talked to Dometic.
Think it's time for 'you' to talk to Dometic and hear it straight from them. 

With all else being right, orfice cleaned, plenty of propane, flow good, battery is solid, etc.. The control board seems about right. At that point only other issue is the basic mechanicals failed. 

I would hope Dometic would walk you through several trouble shooting scenarios. 

If you haven't already, I'd go direct. 
Wish you the best in this!    
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Having said that, the warranty is over....

Haven't looked up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act but have a feeling it's a Implied Warranty. In my state it's limited to 4yrs. 

Out of curiosity, I will look it up.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
I'm sorry about the problems you have had with your dometic fridge.  We also have a 2014 179 and I have had the same problems. The fridge worked great for the first three years and then I had the same  problems trying to bring the temp down with gas.  I have worked on this problem for the last year and a half and I have also looked at the idea of replacing the whole unit.  You can only put so much money into a bad product.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 5:49pm
I had problems also. I cleaned the burner and orifice and it did not make a difference. Neither did cleaning the flue. What finally helped was a combination of replacing the regulator and then taking an air hose and blowing out the gas line after detaching from the refrigerator and regulator. I used pressure from the refrigerator end. If you do that, put the loose end into a bucket because it is highly likely that you will have an oily liquid blown out. That amount was not insignificant in my case. After I reconnected everything and purged the system, the refrigerator finally started cooling better again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Skyward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 8:35pm
Thanks, all. We plan to call Dometic ourselves and we’ll check out the regulator. Where is that, by the tank or in the refrigerator compartment?
Skyward
2014 179 R Pod
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 10:06pm
I have written about this before—we also have a 2015 179 that worked fine for about 2 years. then one of the control boards went out and took the other one with it-don’t know which was first.  The cost for parts and labor was a little over $900 at our dealer. we ended up replacing the entire. Refrigerator for around $1100
It has worked fine for the last 2 years.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Skyward

Thanks, all. We plan to call Dometic ourselves and we’ll check out the regulator. Where is that, by the tank or in the refrigerator compartment?
The regulator is attached by the tank in the front. The pigtail runs from the tank to the regulator. A larger, thicker line runs out of the regulator to provide propane to the appliances. If you disconnect anything, please do check after reconnecting with some solution made up of water and dish detergent (essentially, the same thing you can pay a lot of money for in a little bottle labeled as leak test solution). Some bubble recipes call for adding glycerine to make the bubbles last longer, but for testing, it isn't that vital. As long as you can blow bubbles with it (think kids bubble solution and wands), it will work.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply