R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCracks on Roof of RP-179 - Event Date: 09 May 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Cracks on Roof of RP-179
    Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 12:20pm
Has anyone else experienced cracks on the roof of their RPod on the port side of the AC unit running toward the edge?  We purchased an new 2017 RP-179 in March of that year, and noticed a six inch crack forming on the roof only three months later.  We returned the trailer to the dealer, and they repaired it under warranty, with a Repair Authorization that noted "Improper factory repair.  Removed defective filler, ground, filled and fiberglassed area for structure.  Paint and clear coat to match."  Now, only two years later, another location near the first crack has also split open, and a second site just aft shows bubbling of the skin as if it will crack soon as well.

I worked through the dealer to get access to Forest River (Danielle Beber), and they have concluded that we caused the damage by stepping on the roof or by placing something heavy on it, neither of which we have done.  I'm wondering if anyone out there has had the same experience with their trailer, and the same response from Forest River.  Angry
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 3:52pm
I haven't and am so sorry to read this. 

I went through extensive training 30 odd years ago about dealing with fragile materials and my instructors voice still resonates in my head every time I work on anything. "No sharp edges! Especially inside corners." He would fail us if he even saw a blade mark along the edge. Just another potential of a crack.  

Hopefully you have pictures of the cut-out. If not, do so as you have it repaired. You may have recourse if your state so allows.

Please also understand that FR reserves the right of notification of any action being brought upon them or they have the right to refuse repair/reimbursement. Learn your states warranty laws. I'm in a weird situation myself with mine and learning as I go.

Hope all works out for you!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:46am
If memory serves me, in one of the videos showing the construction of an r-pod there is a picture of factory employees standing on the finished roof.

Forest River isn't alone in trying to get out of problems by, in this case, not saying anything for public consumption about whether people can or cannot stand on the roof, and then using this excuse - 'You stood on the roof!' to get out of paying for structural problems, but it seems to be FR's routine default maneuver.

Post Reply Post Reply