R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrecommendation for generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: recommendation for generator
    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:25am
The benefit of an inverter generator is that it decouples engine speed from electrical frequency. A conventional generator has to run at 3600 rpm all the time to produce 60 cycle output. The engine in an inverter generator can run quietly at low rpm when the electrical load is low because the inverter section is setting the output frequency. You will find that there isn’t much if any difference in noise level between an inverter generator and a traditional generator under heavy loading, For example when running the a/c. Both are sine wave output.

A couple of other considerations before buying a generator:

Consider the weight and how you will load and unload it. The Honda or equivalent 2kw-ish genny weighs in slightly under 50 lbs. Thats already pretty heavy for many folks to lift safely.,The bigger ones get really heavy. That’s why I went with the Honda 2kw and Microair easystart, one disc surgery was enough for me,

The other consideration is that many/most campgrounds won’t allow you to run a generator at night, so if you want it for a/c overnight you might be disappointed.

Then there is fuel. You’ll need to carry that safely somewhere as well as the generator,. I converted my Honda to propane so I don’t need to carry a fuel can around.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Stealth_81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:03pm
I have a generator question. We have a Honda EU3000is at the house as an emergency backup in case of extended power outage. We have some longer trips planned with the Rpod this summer and I was thinking of taking the generator along as insurance and for use if we stay somewhere without an electric hookup. Since the generator weighs 135# I would like to just leave it in the back of the truck and not have to take it out. Is there any issue with running the generator in the back of the pickup truck (with cap) as long as the side windows and back window and gate are open? I am only anticipating running it every other day to charge batteries as needed. We wouldn’t be running AC if off grid.
2018 R-Pod 179
His - 2019 F-150 Super Crew 3.5 Eco
Hers - 2016 4-Runner 4.0 V-6
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:06pm
2 considerations:
1st. Carbon monoxide. Having the gate and windows open should help prevent this.
2nd: Heat build-up. If the exhaust is aimed toward the open tailgate, then the airflow should be sufficient.

Why not run the AC? That generator is large enough and if the day is really hot, you might appreciate it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:16pm
Delete. Double posted.
2018 R-Pod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:18pm
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured that the CO and heat dispersal would be fine. I didn’t know if there were any drawbacks that I hadn’t considered. 
We normally don’t run the AC. I think we have run it twice while camping since we have owned it. Most of the time we are outside, anyway. 
2018 R-Pod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:34pm
You might consider a rubber mat under the generator to help hold down he noise and help keep it from walking around on its own.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:22am
I wouldn't try to lift that generator either. Unless you get the genny exhaust directed out of the cap everything back there will wind up with a nice aroma of partially burned hydrocarbons. 

Can you slide the genny onto the tailgate and direct the exhaust away from the truck, trailer, and your neighbors? Of course taking steps to be sure it doesn't walk off as TT warned. 

Depending on how much tree cover there is where you camp, if you're not running a/c, your microwave or other big ac loads, a quieter, lighter, and less messy solution to consider might be to get a portable solar kit. That plus a dual battery bank seems to meet most people's 12V electrical requirements . You can always charge a bit from your tow vehicle via the 7 way connector if you run into a long string of cloudy days. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:38pm
Thanks for the feedback. I already have a heavy rubber bed mat in the truck so it wouldn’t be sliding. I haven’t decided yet if we need to take the generator or not. I was thinking just for peace of mind on a 3-week trip out west we could take it along. We have the room and it might just go for a ride and not be needed, but that’s a better option than needing it and not having it along.
2018 R-Pod 179
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:20pm
I have run my 4000 watt genset inside the truck bed, with a truck bed topper on the pickup.

I point the exhaust out towards the open tailgate and the lift window, and the sliding side windows are usually open part way.

Of course this works well to power the trailer when I really need the A/C or microwave.

It also reduces the noise levels to the side and front of the truck...which is nice if you have neighbors in the adjacent campsites.

One problem tho, is that crawling in there to pull the starter cord, is a bit of a pain and you have to get out pretty quick once the genset is running. Of course a genset with wireless remote start would eliminate that problem.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 1:51am
I would not run a generator in an enclosed space even with the Windows open. Climbing back in to kill the generator, could be dangerous. Pull it out onto the tailgate.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>