R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgreasing wheel bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: greasing wheel bearings
    Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 3:07pm
I have a 2010 rpod 151. I greased the bearings 2.5 years ago and have probably done about 1500 miles since. The rest of the time it's sat. Do i need to grease bearings and if so are there any how to videoes specific to rpod? I searched and didnt find an rpod specific one. Or is it easier to just have a professional do it? 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 3:25pm
Yes, according to the axle manufacturers you should do a repack every year. The other thing this lets you do is a good inspection of your brake drums and shoes. Sure it is easier to have someone else do it but its not that hard, and in fact pretty easy after the first time, and you get the peace of mind of knowing its been done to your satisfaction.

Check to see if you have a Lippert or a Dexter axle and then Google up a video and/or the manual for that. You will need a seal puller, new grease seals, and grease, might as well order those in advance.  Its a messy job so have a bunch of clean rags or a roll of paper towels handy. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 7:21am
OG, given his miles, would your recommendation be the same if MW has the integrated zerk fitting (not bearing buddies)?
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 2:51pm
I’m no wheel bearing expert, so I’ll leave that to others. For myself, I don’t like zerks for lubing bearings, I’d be afraid of blowing out a seal and getting grease on my brakes. Also I like looking at the brakes once a year, I had a set of brake linings deteriorate and come apart in pieces.

It’s maybe 30-45 minutes a wheel to pull it and do the whole job, not rushing, not a big deal and for me worth the peace of mind.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 12:33pm
Makes sense.  I plan on packing bearings and replacing pads, rotors, magnets this fall. Anything else I should be thinking about?  I’m also installing the lift kit not that it has any impact on the planned maintenance. 
2017 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 6:24am
Only one comment, they are old school drum brakes so you would be replacing drums and brake shoes. If you buy new drums new bearings and races come with it  

So, if you're going to do all that you might also consider just getting new backing plate assembles, the shoes, springs, retaining clips all come pre-assembled so its an easy swap out, 4 bolts and two wires. I think the whole thing was about $350 on Amazon for the Lippert parts, all coming from China of course. The bearings came pre-packed but I repacked them anyway. 

The drum brakes are self adjusting but there are adjustment "stars" accessed through one of the little rubber plugged slots on the inside bottom of the backing plates. When you pull off the old drums you may find you need to back off the adjustments to get the drums off. The self adjuster has a little tang that only allows the stars to tighten, like a ratchet.  You have to use a small flat blade to lift that tang out of the way to get the stars to back off. Kinda gets tight to work in the little holes but its doable. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 7:33am
I completely forgot I could change the entire assembly.   That’s the plan now.

Tnx!
2017 179
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 1:11pm
Having been maintaining a heavy RV for many years, I am very familiar with bearing repacking.  And I have talked to the Dexter people about it.  Their recommendation for annual repacking (or 3000 miles) is a default position.  As they explained to me, it all depends on the conditions you are towing in.  Dust, salt, lots of water are situations that might make a difference.  For the "average person",however, once every two or three years is probably sufficient.  As an owner, you can pull the drum and check things without complete disassembly.  If the grease looks good, don't bother to do as complete repack.  For the EZ-Lube axles, follow the instructions (hand grease gun while turning the wheel) to do a repack.  If instructions are followed, it's a very good system.  
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 5:53pm
I do inspections. Yearly. I maintain trailers, the POD and 40 year old vehicles. I replace when it needs replacing. I'm not going to replace my POD braking system and seals because the calendar changed. I'm looking for wear, tear and failure. When I do yearly inspection I pull the hubs, look at brakes and seals, if there is nothing wrong - I leave it alone. It's working. When I grease the hubs, I do it with hub off to ensure I an not forcing grease out the seal. 69 years no failures, maybe I'm doing it wrong. Tomorrow it may go south, but I know I looked at it and gave myself the best advantages.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply