R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Strong is Roof?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Strong is Roof?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 8:48pm
Due to an unexpected heath issue I had to have an emergency spinal surgery and have been on bed rest and limited activity for almost three months.  I have made a remarkable recovery. Not 100% yet. That may never happen but am far better than anyone expected at this stage.

Anyway due to my recent limitations the Pod spent the summer under a shade tree.  I got out last week and was able to give it a good bath and cleaning hoping to use in a couple of weeks.  Apparently, I may have been a little too aggressive when power washing the leaves and debris off the roof.  

I turned on the AC to cool down the inside and circulate the air on the inside. My Thermostat showed a code I forget what it was but I looked it up and it said the outside thermostat was not picking up the outside temp.  Research said it was probable a loose wire on the AC unit.    

So my question is How do you service the A/C and vents on the roof with out getting on the roof?  Is it safe to put your weight on the roof or do you put something like a thin sheet of plywood or lay a ladder  to lay on to help distribute the weigh .. ?   

I am 190lbs.

Thanks,

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:24pm
Sorry about the back Tom. Hopefully you'll be recovered soon. Forrest River has shown pictures or videos showing workers on the roof. However, everyone I've talked to who has gone up there has put a piece of plywood on top to help spread the load. Quarter inch or 3/8 inch would probably be good.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:00am
So sorry to hear about your health problems.

I weigh 220 and have been on my roof several times. I lay some 3/8 plywood across so it takes the load to the walls, stay on hands and knees, and put down the jacks so the rpod is stabilized. Stay in the center flat roof section and you should be fine, it has an aluminum structure. The curved sections just use light wood stringers, I wouldn't put any weight on those. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:32am
   Hope you recover soon would like to add be careful getting on the roof especially near the curved parts of the roof it easy to slide off. Thinking of your back surgery you need to be careful not to reinjure yourself.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 9:22am
Thanks for the info guys,  I felt  a small sheet of plywood to sit on would do the trick but didn't want to risk it without asking.  

As for the trouble code:   Does anyone have any idea where these wires are. I'm sure if it is something I knocked loose while washing under the AC unit it should be easy enough to find.

I don't really understand why It needs an outside temp sender anyway.  What difference does it make what the temp is outside as to how the unit runs.?   

I'm not an AC/Electrical guy. 

As for the back surgery. My back is a train wreck.  Genetics.  I have no cartilage in my body for the most part.  I've had both shoulder total replacement due to injuries and no cartilage so everything is bone on bone.   My spine is apparently the same. I have lost at least 2.5 to 3 inch in height.  Average for my age is 0.5 to 1 inch.  All vertebrae are bone on bone.  
My C3 had slipped so far off of the C-4 about half way off, It was doing some major compression on the spinal cord which looked like an hour glass on the MRI.  It was in a strangle hold about 2/3rds compressed for the width of the C3.  It had been going on for a while but the symptoms had gotten to the point I couldn't ignore or write it off to just getting older any more.  
I had neuropathy from my finger tips up to my elbows,  horrible muscle spasms in my arms and shoulders and had gotten to where I could barely walk.  And have loss a tremendous amount of muscular strength and mass. 

They did a  C2-C3-C4 fusion in order to stabilize the C3 .
Relief of the symptoms was almost immediate. I still have neuropathy in my hands. And am still a little unsteady when walking at times but all in all doing great.  Strength is improving daily.

When considering the alternative if left untreated would have been paralyzed in a few months  and eventually death I'm a happy camper. 
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 1:27pm
Tom, you really shouldn't climb up onto the roof of your Pod given your medical condition.  Why would you risk your recovery when you can pay someone to take a look at your ac and you can be sure that you will have a chance to enjoy you recovery and your Pod?  The slightest wrong move or twist could very well put you right back where you were or worse.  It's hard to accept our limitations as we age, but in your case it's really a life and death issue.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 2:59pm
  Tom I agree with Fred ask for help if I lived closer to you I would offer to help. Give yourself some rest!
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:10pm
+1
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:49pm
+2, I fell off my roof, two years ago, took weeks to heal. 9 feet doesn't seem like much. I still go on my roof, have to, to clean, much more careful now.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 9:05pm
Thank you all for your concern. my Dr released me to return to work when I felt I was ready.  He had given me FMLA until Oct 1st if needed but I went back to work on the 8th of Sept.  So far so good.  I am taking things slow and am very cautious with my movements. I am especially cautious on any stairs  or ladders.  Handrails all the way. 

I was able to take a coupe of short rides on my Goldwing last weekend.  No problems so far.  I don't plan on attempting any thing long rides for a while yet.

I am fairly certain that the disc slipped that far out of place last year while working on the better half's car I was kind of twisted looking under the dash on my back in the drivers floor replacing some fuses.  I felt a very loud painful "POP"   Needless to say I don't do that any more.   

I have a 14 year old step-son who I have been teaching how to do things around the house.  He has been doing all the heavy lifting for me as of late.  So If I do feel the need to get on the roof it will only be to watch and supervise him. I have the Pod very level and stable and would probably even hook it to the truck to give it even more front to rear stability.  

Thanks, again
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>