R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur 195 (review so far)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our 195 (review so far)
    Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:17am

Please keep in mind that reviews tend to point out the things people don't like.  We like the features in the 195 so much, that we traded in our beloved 179 before we even had 25,000 miles on it. 

We picked up our 195 on Monday and spent two nights in northern NM before coming home. This is a 2020 model. It has a window in the front and a built in vacuum system. These are now standard I guess. So here are a few comments on what we have found out so far.

• The dealer demonstrated the A/C. It appears to be much quieter than the one in the 179.

• The space around the bed is adequate but not excessive. It makes it a lot easier to make up the bed.

• The water pump is still mounted under the bed but there is an access panel in the pass through so winterization should be easier.

• However, winterization procedures for the Water Heater are much more complicated. In the 179 the W/H was near the water pump. In the 195 it is under the refrigerator and behind the converter. You need to pull the converter to access the by-pass valves.

• The pantry has fully adjustable shelves and is much deeper. We are talking "STORAGE!"

• Where the 179 had drawers under the wardrobe, the 195 has none. Storage for clothes is either hanging clothes in the wardrobe or under the bed.

• The refrigerator is now either shore power or gas and switches automatically. There is no option to run off the battery. I don't know if I like this. This summer, I had a problem with running the refrigerator on gas. I ran on battery when traveling and stayed a campgrounds with shore power.

• Where the 179 had one largish wardrobe, there are two small wardrobes in the 195.

• The camper is wider but the slide-out is narrower. In the 179 there was under-seat storage on one end of the dinette. In the 195 there is under-seat storage on both ends but there is a gap between the back of the storage and the wall of the camper. And, there is a genuine hole at the back of the under-seat storage. This may be one of the first mods.

• The wife says the bathroom is wonderful.  There is storage under the sink and a real medicine closet, etc.

If anyone knows what cover will fit this model, please let me know.

Enjoy Life!!
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:44am
I'm waiting to get the new 196 I have ordered.  I did not know the 195 had an onboard vacuum.  I wonder if the 196 does.  One of the reason I got the 196 is because it has, I think, a slide is the same size as my 179.
The Pirate's Pod
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 6:03pm
Curious to know what you think about build quality - about the same, or is FR lifting its game?
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 8:17pm
Sounds like a good upgrade.  I will most likely trade my 180 for one next year.  As for the refrigerator running on only gas or shore power, most if not all larger refers do not run on 12 volts.  Some of the entry level trucks that are being pulling these trailer do not have the wiring or power to run the refer and keep the battery charged at the same time.  Does the trailer come with two propane tanks?
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 1:56pm
So far I would rate the build quality about the same as the 179.  There is room for two batteries. There is only one propane tank.  There is also an external gas outlet for a low pressure grill.  I travel with a Coleman grill and a separate tan for the portable grill.  Therefore, the second propane tank isn't an issue for me.
Enjoy Life!!
dougstieber@gmail.co View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:32pm
I own a new 195 and the BIG BONUS is the front window.  Now I can see through the front and back windows when driving, similar to our car... no rear view camera needed!  Quality of workmanship is still very suspect.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:01pm
In my mind, having a window in the front takes the issues of the rear window of the 179 and compounds it with the air pressure during travel. Unless FR is adopting  a curved window and a different mounting system, I don't see this working very well. I would appreciate hearing how well that front window is working for those who have them.

Personally, I would rather not have a window there because I like it dark when I am sleeping. Also, unless that window is some kind of thermopane glass, it will not be very good in cool/cold weather camping. In the 195/196 with the North/South bed layout instead of the East/West layout, it would not be so bad. In our 179, that front wall could get quite chilly. I am the one that sleeps next to the wall, giving my wife the more convenient access since she gets up more then I do.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:28pm
my 195 does NOT have a front window, and I don't want one. Glad I bought early for that.  Do wish I had gotten the central vac on mine though. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply