R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNon Emergent General Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non Emergent General Questions
    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:54pm
Just a suggestion, sounds like your troubleshooting is on par. Make sure connections to the 30a breaker are good and tight.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 7:17pm
Interesting test but to be clear there is nothing wrong. If you turned on everything in your house at the same time you’d probably trip your main breaker there too. Electrical distribution systems aren’t designed for that. They are designed with load diversity, the underlying assumption is that no one turns everything on at once. When one 30A breaker is in series with another then one will always trip first. Breakers have different time constants, meaning that one will heat up and trip sooner. Again, nothing wrong there.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 8:00pm
+1

You can't expect to be able to run everything at the same time on the 30 amp main service.

As an example. Your microwave is going to pull around 8 amps, the water heater probably another 8 amps, the fridge around 2 amps and the converter (depending on the battery load) anywhere from a few hundred milliamps to almost 6 amps. Those alone are a "potential" of almost 24 amps.

Now start up your air conditioning and the start current for that is probably at least 20 amps. You're now at 44 amps. That is more than can be sustained. Once the air conditioner is started, it will probably drop to 10 amps (or so), for a total of 34 amps (but still over your 30 amp limit).

The good news is that all those things should not be happening at the same time. For example, your batteries when you're on shore power are probably mostly charged, so the converter is probably only a couple hundred milliamps. The microwave does not run constantly, and so on.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 9:16pm
I'm with you both and as I said, I have never run that much at one time, thus had never seen the issue. The 30 min issue has me a bit perplexed and I want to play with that a bit. I don't agree with the house analogy. Ask an electrician, they can tell you what you're max pull is.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 9:48pm
The elctrical gurus have already taken care of your first question.  We keep our slide in on our 2011 177 which is not near as tight of a seal as the newer pods, in fact I will take an old t-shirt of mine to close up a few small openings near the middle of the under part of the slide to keep the mosquitoes out, very important thing to do if in northern Michigan or other similar parts of the country.  I don't believe this would ever be a problem on the newer pods as they are superior in their seal around the slide.  As others have already noted, keep slide in to reduce the potential of any unwanted varmints taking up residence over the winter months.  For added security we always throw a couple dryer sheets on both ends of the pod before storing in our old horse barn.

Hopefully you don't have the original mattress that comes with the pod, we threw ours out, actually put it on Craigs List as a freebie and got rid of it within the day.  We would have felt guilty charging someone to take that off our hands.  Replaced it with an 8" Eurotop from Camping World back in 2011.  We use our camper a lot and that mattress is still as firm and comfy as the day we got it. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by jato

We keep our slide in on our 2011 177 which is not near as tight of a seal as the newer pods, in fact I will take an old t-shirt of mine to close up a few small openings near the middle of the under part of the slide to keep the mosquitoes out, very important thing to do if in northern Michigan or other similar parts of the country. 
The mosquitoes in northern Minnesota are legendary. I recall when fishing in northern Minnesota we knew we were in trouble when we overheard one mosquito say to another "You want to eat them here or get them to go?" Star
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by mcarter

I'm with you both and as I said, I have never run that much at one time, thus had never seen the issue. The 30 min issue has me a bit perplexed and I want to play with that a bit. I don't agree with the house analogy. Ask an electrician, they can tell you what you're max pull is.

I don't need an electrician, I know what my loads are, I've measured them. My max combined load is well in excess of my 200A service, yet I never trip my main in normal use. If I did what you're doing in your pod and turned everything on at once (stove, water heater, air handler heat strips, dryer, lights, microwave, etc etc) I would trip, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for most folks. Many household loads just won't be on at the same time. The NEC Article 220 has a section for determining service size based on planned loads. it allows reductions based on load diversity (demand factors). Article 551 (the one covering RV's) allows for that too.  

If you want to learn more about circuit breaker time-current curves check this square d video out. For a typical thermal-magnetic breaker to trip after 30 minutes you ought to be running pretty close to but over the 30A rating.   There is a whole electrical engineering specialty called overcurrent protection coordination that deals with proper breaker trip sequencing on a circuit, and goes into the cb's time-current curves in detail to be sure that the breakers trip in the proper sequence. Generally the most downstream one should trip first, which is what is happening in this case. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 4:22pm
Thanks OG
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by offgrid

If you want to learn more about circuit breaker time-current curves check this square d video out. For a typical thermal-magnetic breaker to trip after 30 minutes you ought to be running pretty close to but over the 30A rating.   There is a whole electrical engineering specialty called overcurrent protection coordination that deals with proper breaker trip sequencing on a circuit, and goes into the cb's time-current curves in detail to be sure that the breakers trip in the proper sequence. Generally the most downstream one should trip first, which is what is happening in this case. 

Great find and great post. I had never seen such a good explanation of the cb trip characteristics and I are one o' dem ingineer types Wink.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 8:10pm
10-4. I always wanted the vanity plate IRENGR but was too cheap to apply for one Geek
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>