Topic ClosedAlaska Planning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska Planning
    Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:52am
We would like to travel with our RPod to Alaska next year (2020). However, my wife is not comfortable with us going it alone. I know I have spoken with some others about such a trip. However, so far it has just been in generalities. It is time to get down to specifics.

Who here would like to participate in such a trip? If you are willing, when would you be available to take such a trip? As I see it, there are two options:

1. Go with an organized group such as Fantasy RV tours or Great American Caravans. This would be predictable but expensive. The fee for the tour would cover much to include places to stop but would not include fuel or a number of meals. Nor would it cover getting to the starting point or getting home from the ending point. My wife is leaning toward this though as she would feel better knowing that there are people there to help should a breakdown occur.

2. Go with an informal group. This is less predictable but also less expensive. None of the organized events nor scheduled meals nor reserved camping sites would be there unless someone with experience in making such a trip helped organize these things.

Also, since any of the organized trips would definitely take more than 30 days (48 was the shortest one I saw), what do those who are on the road longer use for mail and taking care of bills, etc. for their homes? Does anyone have any experience with the various mail forwarding services, either from the USPS or from the service offered by Good Sam?

Given that this trip is likely to have many places out of cellular range, how does one keep in touch and be available if something should happen at home? Having experienced one break-in while we are gone, we do now have an alarm system, but it is self-monitored. Without cell or WiFi, I do not know if the alarm is triggered. Part of this is to get someone trusted who can monitor when we are out of contact but I am open to looking into other options.

I guess that is enough questions to get the discussion started.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 1:04pm
My parents have been 3 times, and my dad plans for them to do it again, maybe next year. Bills on auto pay. Or set up to pay on the internet.
Just put in a hold mail with USPS, pick it up when you get home.
Have a friend or neighbor check on the house, where we live, you can let the police know you are out of town and they will check in on it for you.
Sometimes you will be out of touch/reach. When you get to service, check in. It's how the whole world worked just one short generation ago. If you are days away.. will it really matter if you don't have your vacation ruined on Tuesday, instead of Thursday?
I wouldn't do a group. Get the latest copy of the "Milepost". Plan from there. Go freestyle.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 3:01pm
The only problem with mail hold is that the USPS will only hold for 30 days maximum. An Alaska trip will last longer than that. I was able to work around it a little bit last year by extending the hold a few days (helps to know the postal carrier). However, I can't count on that being available so that is why I was asking about mail forwarding services also.

After telling my wife the prices for a couple of the caravan group tours, she is leaning that way also. Smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The only problem with mail hold is that the USPS will only hold for 30 days maximum. An Alaska trip will last longer than that. 

I live in a smaller town so the folks at USPS are neighbors (of sorts). She had me fill out the extended (following month) form and she kept it there for me. I do so like my little town!

I was also told you can go online and sign up for the next months hold. Don't know how well that works (didn't have to do it). I will say mail forwarding failed miserably for us. Some rather important mail was returned instead of being forwarded which lead to several phone calls to work it all out once we got back. Just 'our' experience with forwarding.. I go with 'hold' now.
I did authorize my daughter to pick up my mail which worked out very well. If you're gone for months you could get something you need to put attention to. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 3:59pm
As far as cell service.. You will drive in and out of. Take advantage of when you can. Data is a whole other issue. Finding WIFI to collect or send is going to be the biggest issue. As much as I used CG systems, including going to the office to do such, I found most times if I had a LTE signal, I'd stop and send/retrive as I could. 

That leads to a good plan that includes Canada. My AT&T plan includes Canada, so not issue there. If yours doesn't, then possible a Pay-as-you-go SIM may be a solution. Funny how even in USA, yet on the fringes of Canada, the towers are Canadian. Don't know about Alaska and the border areas.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 4:14pm
Would love to see your route to get there. Heading up through the Rockies into the Canadian Rockies is spectacular! You could even run through Glacier National and north into Jasper Provincial and do the northern run across, which I hear is amazing (found the locals). Most run the TCH, few see what's above that. 

Tell us more, please!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Would love to see your route to get there. Heading up through the Rockies into the Canadian Rockies is spectacular! You could even run through Glacier National and north into Jasper Provincial and do the northern run across, which I hear is amazing (found the locals). Most run the TCH, few see what's above that. 

Tell us more, please!

Our routing is currently vague (start driving and get there and back). We have not gotten into specific routing yet. We would like ot combine it with seeing our daughters and grandchildren (Arizona and Utah). I will be starting to look at the maps soon to try to firm up some routing options.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 6:05pm
Big mountains, big mosquitos, lots of ice....

Next!

Clap
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:22pm
Stephen, please keep us apprised of your plans on the forum.  You have my interest but as relatively new to the RV world I don't know if I would be properly prepared to attempt a trip such as this.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:11pm
Yes I was of course, kidding around....sounds like a grand adventure...

Thumbs Up
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>