R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Sway bars, wdh, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway bars, wdh, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bars, wdh, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:24am
I have a light r-pod, a 171, and a 4500# towing capacity t v. and have never felt the need for more than the very occasional use of a sway control bar in high winds. I have been struck by the many podders here who love wdhs and wouldn't go out without one.

Another post recently had this most interesting discussion of weight distribution hitches - 

The  mystery of the 10-15% requirement for optimal weight on the towing ball appears to be explained in this video but it also brings up some apparent drawbacks of a wdh, especially when you are in the middle of nowhere on a bad road, that I have never seen discussed here.

The 'bottom line' seems to be that if you can keep your vehicle LEVEL, you don't need a wdh, and the ONLY time you cannot do that is with a big heavy trailer that exceeds the capacity of the t v's suspension to remain level, and no r-pod - used with a 'sensible' t v, will ever do that.

Heh, heh, ... comments?
                                                 Evil Smile

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:17pm
Agree, over the years I have towed our 2011 with the following vehicles with only a Curt anti-sway bar:
'94 F-150 322,000 miles 5.0L. V-8  31 deer kills 100+ deer hits (affectionally known as) the deer slayer,
'08 Explorer 4.0L V-6, '13 Explorer 3.5L V-6 and just this year we upgraded to an '11 F-150 5.0L V-8 Coyote engine, mainly to have more storage and pulling power in the Rockies.  We are now at 34,000 miles with our 177 and cannot complain about things falling apart or of towing issues.  This flies in the face of many who will not tow with a full tank of water especially if that FW tank is located behind the axle, which in the case of the 177, it is. 

I can't remember which of you engineering experts pointed this out but it is definitely a good fact to go by: 10-15% of the weight towing should be on the hitch, which in our case, it is.  Even with a full tank of water we also have 2 propane tanks and 2 12v. batteries on our a-frame to balance things out.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:05pm
Yeah I've been bawled out, belittled, berated, chided, castigated, chastised, chewed out, keelhauled, lectured, reprimanded, scolded, scorned, voted non-sentient, and been subjected to out right prognostication that I will die a fiery, painful death,  carnage will reign on the highway for miles around me, and all my children will be born nekkid since I dont use a WDH hitch.

But so far, it seems to work fine for me without one. 

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:39pm
I would never put down anyone for not using a WDH. I do encourage people to use some form of sway control though. It is one of those things that you don't need until you do. Then if you don't have it, things can get mighty bad in a hurry. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

BTW, even if you use a WDH hitch, all your children will be born nekkid. Ermm
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:04pm
Well, it's not mechanical, but the pickup has electronic anti-sway control....

I did hit 90 mph one time pulling the r-pod....of course I did not inject any dumb or quick steering wheel movements during that half a minute or so, and it felt steady. 

It always feels stable at the speeds I normally travel, about 60-65 most of the time.  

(insert opinions below)

Tongue
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:51pm
I, for the record, have never put anyone down for not using a WDH. I have advised folks with marginally capable tow vehicles that a WDH would be in their best interest however. I don't really consider an F-150 (or tow vehicles in that weight/power class) to be a marginal tow vehicle though.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:17pm
"and all my children will be born nekkid since I dont use a WDH hitch." quote podwerkz

Had to laugh at that one.  Thinking back to my first born.  He enjoyed the free lodging and was born a few days later than his due date.  When he finally was "booted out" the Dr. told me to give that young boy a haircut, trim the nails, and get him a Big Mac!  But I was there at that momentous occasion, and sure enough, he was born nekkid!  Hmm, maybe because when he was born in 1978 I wasn't using that WDH thingee.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

The 'bottom line' seems to be that if you can keep your vehicle LEVEL, you don't need a wdh, and the ONLY time you cannot do that is with a big heavy trailer that exceeds the capacity of the t v's suspension to remain level, and no r-pod - used with a 'sensible' t v, will ever do that.

Heh, heh, ... comments?
                                                 Evil Smile

Compared to the lighter Rpods, our 180 is a big heavy trailer. We boon dock on 90% of our camping trips so travel with a full fresh water tank.

The trailer tongue weight is about 450 to 500 pounds and although our 2014 Toyota Tacoma with factory towing package has a 6500 pound trailer weight rating, it does not remain level when hitched up.

We are not rich...not poor either...but can't afford a big truck.  So...as instructed in the Toyota's owner manual...I installed a WDH to keep it level.

The one valuable piece of information for me in the video is to undo the spring arms when driving through a dip.  That happens often in areas we camp as we need to drive through the ditch to get off the road to a camp spot.
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:11pm
Whether you use a WHD is a matter of personal choice.  Some like them, some don't.  Some have TV's that are big enough that they are not needed, while others would probably be better off using one.

We've been using a WHD since we got our Pod and have been very satisfied with the performance, especially with our smaller pickup.  The ride is smooth and stable, even in heavy cross winds and curvy roads.  We keep our speed down to 60 or less, mostly for reasons of mileage, but it also reduces the risk of something bad happening if we have to take evasive action.  When we are on rough roads, or roads with deep dips, we go at an appropriate speed so that the TV chassis is not heavily stressed by the torsion of the WHD.  And, if we are on an especially bad road, we'll just take the bars off and go slowly consistent with the conditions.  In effect, some like their bacon cooked well done while others like a little less crispy.

As for the video posted by Happy.  Though the individual in it had some valid engineering points about weight distribution, load transfer, torsion, etc.  His lack of basic good manners was pathetic, especially when he got off on trying to justify words that are universally accepted in the English language as offensive. When that started, it was time tune out.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:23pm
Greetings:  
I like my WDH, went many years with out one.  It's whatever your comfortable with.  I do think it's worth the money.  

Crankster78  R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>