R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing Problem
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:50pm
I was winterizing our 2015 179 and may have over pressurized the fresh water system. Now when I apply 30 lbs. air pressure to the blow out plug and immediately place a tire gauge on on the plug it doesn't register any pressure...zip, nada, nothing. This makes me think I screwed up when I inadvertently used 50 plus lbs. and may have split a connection or pipe. 
What is the best way to try to find my leak? Are there plumbing schematics anywhere, is there a safety valve anywhere? Am I missing something...double checked and the hot and cold sink and shower facets are closed.
Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:10pm
System should handle 50 PSI no problem. In fact, it should handle 60 PSI, and maybe a bit over that. I would not attempt to pt more than 60 PSI on it though.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:40pm
I think I might know what you're talking about when you say "blow out plug" but I agree that the system should easily take 50 - 60 lbs of pressure but I don't know how long you can expect it to hold air pressure.  And if you're blowing out the lines you have to have an opening somewhere for the water to escape.  You always want to have one valve or faucet open when you're blowing out the lines.  That may be where you're air is going.

If you did split a pipe you should be able to hear the air escaping if you pressurize the system to 30 lbs.  By pressurize, I mean with a compressor set to 30 lbs that shuts off at 30 and turns back on when the pressure drops below 30.  Or you can put water back in the system and look for the leak.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:08pm
Agree with TT.  You ought to be able to hear the air leaking wherever the break or split is.  For the past 7 years I have used pressurized air at 80 psi but  always keep 1 line open before going to the next.  Takes less than 2 minutes to hook up the air gun to the pigtail under the tank, open up the valve by the pigtail and open and close the cold and hot spigots at both sinks and then the toilet. 

Just checking: Did you close your bypass valves for winterization?  If not did you drain your HW tank and maybe forget to put the anode back in?  Silly things yet possible things to forget when doing this procedure.  Low point drains in or out?

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 7:48am
Low points could be leaking, the one way valve at the water inlet could be curled, all sorts of reasons for it not holding pressure..

But that brings me to the point of the question.. Why are you trying to hold air pressure in the system? Once empty of water.. it will stay empty.
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:18pm
Greetings:
Just blew mine out today.  The pipes should handle 80 psi with no problem.  I have my house plumbed with PEX pipe.  City water is around 80, no problems.  I would guess a valve is open. If a small amount of water is still in the pipes, it's no problem.  

Crankster78  R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply