R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtraveling on a ferry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod People View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: traveling on a ferry
    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:15pm
We always have a quality cooler  with us. A lot that we eat does not have to be kept at refrigerator temps in the high 30’s. We keep most of our veggies, cheeses, drinks, fruits in the cooler and reserve the refrig for necessities-eggs, milk, eetc.
Having a small battery operated fan inside the refrig also helps keep it’s temp when not under power.Refrigerator management is a little different from the home, but it getss easier and a system will evolve after a few trips.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 2:50pm
First, I've done this a few times and we re-provision perishables once there (up to 5hrs so far). I hear the frig is good if cold and not opened for close to 6hrs. Beyond that, I'd be adding ice blocks (warm beer is a European thing). 

Think of your frig as an upright cooler and work accordingly. Ice blocks in zip-lock bags (near the beer) and work your produce according to how it want it stay cold. Like I say, an upright cooler. Dry ice to me is a over-kill and not really needed. I did that on a 6 day canoe adventure that I packed some steaks in a small cooler with dry ice. Night five they were still frozen.. Over-kill for a passage.

Don't over think it, yet think it. Ice blocks will do you fine. Packed around the beer, LOL..

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 2:15pm
This past summer my wife and I took our 179 to Vancouver Island via ferry and came back to the states via ferry.  In both cases, we had to turn off our propane and they secured the valve so the propane could not be used.

We have traded in the 179 for a 195.  The 195 has a two way refrigerator -- either shore power or propane.  When we had the 179 we had a battery option to run the refrigerator.  So what does one do when traveling by ferry when you don't have propane or shore power??

Okay, this may not be a problem when going to Vancouver Island or back but the ferry ride to Newfoundland is 6-8 hours for the shortest route or 14-16 for the longer route.
Enjoy Life!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12