R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbottle jack vs floor jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: bottle jack vs floor jacks
    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 3:50pm
I'm looking at replacing my 1 ton floor jack with a bottle jack. I have a measured 7 inches clearance between the floor and my axle, if I need a jack for a flat tire, obviously that distance will be decreased due to the flattened tire. The minimum height of a bottle jack seems to be about 6 1/2 inches, not short enuf to fit, I don't believe.

Is there any bottle jack that does go low enuf?? 

Is there a way to get around this problem??
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 5:17pm
You talking in the road or in the garage? 

On the road I use a scissor jack, slips in where it's needs to. In the garage I use my floor jack, so easy. At my Sister's place, while on the road, I used a bottle jack. That was easy yet required space.. 

My situation on the road has not been the trailer, yet the truck tires. So the scissor jack worked fine. Now take I had this problem in a different spot.. like out on some back-arres road and in a ditch/mud. What would a bottle jack do for me? For that case, what would a scissor do? 

Both need digging a hole and adding support. Recovery from a bad situation is not easy with our Rpod's
... Neither the frame or wall supports are strong enough..

So,back to the original question: On the road or at the garage?

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:01pm
Run the flat tire up on your legos. Bottle jack the pod enough to get the flat off, install spare after removing legos. Let bottle jack down.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:50pm
I carry a small floor jack that is low enough. The one time I tried using a scissors jack, the jack bent and the 'Pod stayed firmly on the ground. That is why I got the floor jack.

The one I got is like the one in the link. For a higher price, you can get a model with a carrying case. YOu might find an equivalent model elsewhere for less or find it on sale somewhere.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:48am
We have a small bottle jack we carry in the "garage" in our 179. The jack has a screw that allows us to extend the lift about 6".
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:57am
I use the scissors jack from my Highlander. That way I'm only carrying one jack around.  Its designed with a slot to slide onto the vertical flange on the Toyota rocker panel but also works perfectly on the vertical flanges of the rPod axle attachment bracket. Those are very strong, unlike the frame rails and the axle tube, which aren't so strong.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by offgrid

I use the scissors jack from my Highlander. That way I'm only carrying one jack around.  Its designed with a slot to slide onto the vertical flange on the Toyota rocker panel but also works perfectly on the vertical flanges of the rPod axle attachment bracket. Those are very strong, unlike the frame rails and the axle tube, which aren't so strong.  

Yup, same here, no reason (so far anyway) to carry two.

Now if we could figure out how to get a 6 lug hub on that axle and only carry a spare.. Figure that requires a axle swap.. well, and moving the fenders.. and probably several other items.. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

[
Now if we could figure out how to get a 6 lug hub on that axle and only carry a spare.. Figure that requires a axle swap.. well, and moving the fenders.. and probably several other items.. 

That's an interesting idea. My Highlander already has a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern so if the wheel offset is good it should fit. I might try and see. Any weight savings helps. 

For the Taco, you could get a 5200 lb axle (6 on 5.5 pattern) which would solve the rpod weak axle problem at the same time and also give you better trailer brakes. You shouldn't need to move the fenders as long as you have risers and use a 15 inch wheel as the spare.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:58pm
I have a bottle jack and an adjustable jack stand. That allows me to jack the Pod up as high as the bottle jack will go then hold it there with the jack stand while I put a block under the bottle jack to get more height.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Vikingr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 7:27am
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

[

For the Taco, you could get a 5200 lb axle (6 on 5.5 pattern) which would solve the rpod weak axle problem at the same time and also give you better trailer brakes. You shouldn't need to move the fenders as long as you have risers and use a 15 inch wheel as the spare.

I've come across a few 6 x 5.5 hubs made for 3500 lb axles "Built for 84 spindles with a 4 hole brake flange (inner bearing L68149, outer bearing L44649".  Does anyone see why these wouldn't work on our Lippert axle? (looking for the same Taco compatibility).

I know it would be better going to a 5200 lb axle, just don't want to get rid of a perfectly good camfered axle-- until it is not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>