Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCell Antenna on 195

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cell Antenna on 195
    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm
Hi, antenna question, we have a new 2000 195, it has the twin cell antenna (with the tv antenna) I have a Verizon hot spot coming, that will use the two external antennas. Where do I find the connectors for them? All I can see coming into the rv is the tv coax. Thanks in advance, Mike Vagg 
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:17pm
Can't help you, but this is the first I've heard of a Pod with a cell antenna.  How do you know that's what it is?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:54am
I think you're mistaking the TV antenna for a cell antenna. The coax connection should be behind the TV. Most of the TV antennas also have an amplifier (little on/off switch next to the coax connector).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:40am
Not sure it you are looking to boost a cell signal while camping or just want to know what the existing antenna is for,  but if you are interested in a cell booster system I use the weBoost slim:

Combined with these:

I mount the directional antenna on an extension pole like this:

which I clamp to the front edge of the slide when its extended. There is also an adapter needed to connect the low loss coax cable to the booster, best to call Wilson to get that. You can mount the booster and cable in a storage area, mount the cradle inside the trailer convenient to connect your phone to the TV, and then just pull out the cable, connect it to the antenna, clamp it to the slide, and extend it. Once set up you need to slowly rotate the antenna to maximize signal strength. The whole process takes me about 10 minutes as part of camp setup. 

If you have a weak cell signal this system pulls it in well. Most of the time it works great for me, Netflix and HBO streaming no problem. It can't work miracles though, it can't boost a signal that isn't there, so if you're camped in the bottom of a hollow out of line of sight to a cell tower you still won't get anything.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mdballou View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:40am
I have a 2020 195. No cell antenna. 2 coax connection behind the tv. 1 goes to tv antenna on top of camper
2 goes to near power connection on backside of camper to connect to cable tv if camp site has that. I too use a weboost for cell phone and use the coax outside connection to the one behind the tv. Pick up connection at lowes or home depot. TV coax connections.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:41am
Originally posted by MikeVagg

Hi, antenna question, we have a new 2000 195, it has the twin cell antenna (with the tv antenna)

2000?

Twin cell antenna?

I think I'm in a time warp or something.....

Tongue
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:07pm
The latest builds can be equipped with a WiFi ranger, or something along those lines.. is that what you have?
MikeVagg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:20pm
My Mistake, 2020, the tv antenna has two near vertical dipole antenna attached to it, which the dealer said were antenna for cell tower frequencies. Our new Verizon Jetpack® MiFi® 8800L, has connections for two external antenna. Interesting video on the features of the newer hot spots. https://youtu.be/sxsEEDsgM3c
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:44pm
lol...fire your dealer....or you misunderstood. 

Those two antennas are only for TV and FM radio reception. (unless something has very recently been added internally to the TV antenna unit that I dont know about) 

If you got the WIFI Ranger, there is a small 'puck' antenna on the roof and you will use that unit on wifi to boost a local wifi signal at a campsite or shopping mall etc...but it has nothing to do with cellular signals. 

If you want to actually boost the cellular signal into your verizon unit, then yeah, you will be buying a weboost or similar amplifier to do that. 

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
MikeVagg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>