R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhauling vehicle 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hauling vehicle 178
    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 4:28pm
Needing suggestions for best hauling vehicle for an Rpod 178.

What vehicle would be best suited for hauling it over mountains.

Thank,

Deb Wieber
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 5:34pm
I have a 2015 178, have hauled it with 2 1500 Silverado's, both 4 wheel drives and one 2016 Colorado, non 4 wheel drive. My 2014 Z71 seems to be the best performer, works for me. All connected easily, hauled with normal gas mileage (hauling), back up cam and easy to use. Plus I don't just use the vehicle for Pod hauling. It has covered bed for generator and my additional camping necessities, I'm a pick-up fan.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 5:59pm
I pull my 178 with a Santa Fe XL (the 7 seater)with a 3.8l 6cylinder, AWD.  It pulls it just fine but if you're planning on doing long hauls over the mountains, you'd probably be most comfortable with a 1/2 ton pickup.  My son-in-law pulled it with his Ram 1500 and it was a breeze.

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:06pm
Any of the full size pickups should haul a 178 without issue, but might be considered overkill. One step down would be any of the so-called mid-sized pickups. Ones I know of are the Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado (AKA GMC Canyon), Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, or Dodge Dacota.

A lot of people haul with some SUV/CUV vehicles, but you should be careful about towing capacity.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:32pm
The 2010 Nissan Frontier 4WD LE Crew Cab model I have is okay for hauling as long as you understand that you may need to slow down. Don't use cruise control in the mountains. Work it so you keep your RPMs to @3,000 or less if possible for better mileage. Letting it kick down into the 4,500 RPM and up will really kill the mileage.

The one fault I find is that at sea level, the specs for the Frontier sound good but one must remember that any naturally aspirated engine will lose power as altitude increases. If you get a model with a turbocharger, then it maintains power. However that may come at the cost of requiring premium (expensive) gasoline when towing. When we were towing with a 2016 Ford Escape with the towing package and 2L Ecoboost engine, at higher altitudes it was able to maintain power but it was expansive to feed and it only had a small tank which meant we were stopping about every 100 miles for gasoline. With either vehicle, average mileage was between 11 and 13 MPG. The Escape was better in flat territory, gaining a couple of MPG there. Pushing either vehicle above 60 MPH drove the mileage down into the single digits.

Recent vehicles also have transmissions with more available gears than the 2010 Frontier which means that the engine can find a better gear for running as opposed to either too high or too low in a transmission with fewer gears. I would like to find a good used Ford F150 diesel or Chevy Colorado diesel model. Either of those would perform well as both have much more torque available than the gasoline engines. Price is the sticking point with the diesel models though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 7:36am
I use a AWD Toyota Highlander with tow package and 5000 lb rating to tow our 179. That works fine for me, I don't have a need for a full size pickup truck.  But I wouldn't tow with anything lighter than a midsize SUV or pickup with a tow capacity in this range.  

The limiting factor is usually the hitch weight. Forest River's hitch weight numbers are generally much lower than what you really end up with. If you start adding stuff forward on the trailer (dual batteries, dual propane tanks, full water tanks etc) or heavy stuff in the rear of the SUV you can easily overload the rear axle of the tow vehicle. A weight distribution hitch will help balance the load but does not actually increase the hitch weight rating of the tow vehicle. 

If you already have your 178 and want to use a midsize pickup or SUV then I suggest you load the trailer as you plan to and get an actual tongue weight so you know what you really have. You'll probably be surprised how high it is.  Then get a tow vehicle that has a hitch weight rating higher than your actual tongue weight. Don't get a front wheel drive tow vehicle because the trailer hitch load reduces the load on the front axle, stick with AWD or RWD only.  And plan on getting a weight distribution hitch and sway control as well if you get a mid sized vehicle. 

StephenH is right to consider fuel capacity too. Regardless of what you tow with (as long as it is a modern vehicle) your fuel consumption will be roughly in the range of 11-14 mpg on the highway because air drag on the trailer is the dominant factor. So, get something with at least around a 19-20 gallon fuel tank or you'll constantly be worried about how far it is to the next gas station.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 8:04am
Greetings:  
Check the tow rating on the TV.  You want to have a good margin.  The other concern is wheelbase.  A longer WB is more stable in crosswinds.  Good luck and safe travels

Crankster78  R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by StephenH

When we were towing with a 2016 Ford Escape with the towing package and 2L Ecoboost engine, at higher altitudes it was able to maintain power but it was expansive to feed and it only had a small tank which meant we were stopping about every 100 miles for gasoline. 
We've been very happy with the EcoBoost engine in our F-150. Pulling our R179 barely slows it down. At towing speeds, it's barely turning over 1800 RPM. We have the 36 gallon tank in it, so without the Rpod, we have ~~ 650 mile range. With the Rpod it drops to maybe around 500 miles, but is further than we like to go in a day anyway. The EcoBoost on ours takes regular fuel, and the manual "recommends" premium if you're towing, but we haven't always done that, and it doesn't seem to affect it much one way or another. The EcoBoost engines have all the torque of a diesel plus a lot more horsepower for a much smaller price premium. In order for a diesel to be cost-effective, you need to be doing more than 20,000-25,000 miles per year. Otherwise, gas is still the better choice.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 2:33pm
As usual, I will put in a plug for the large SUV type of vehicle as being the best.  We use a Ford Expedition EL and love it.  It has the same frame, engine, transmission, tow ratings, gas tank size etc as the pickups.  It has the added advantage of interior storage space that is dry and secure without additional toppers.
The major disadvantage that I see is the lack of ability to carry gasoline, generators or other large, smelly items inside the vehicle.
We use a wdh for sway control and peace of mind.  Our 179 fits perfectly behind our Expedition. We have driven cross country east-west and north/south without any issues.

A lot of  your choice may be whether or not your tow vehicle is also a daily driver and what your budget requires.

good luck-there are a lot of choices
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Pod People

The major disadvantage that I see is the lack of ability to carry gasoline, generators or other large, smelly items inside the vehicle.

A lot of  your choice may be whether or not your tow vehicle is also a daily driver and what your budget requires.

While I personally prefer a mid size vehicle because I have no need for a full size one, I do second the arguments for the SUV. 

The generator issue is readily solved by converting it to run on propane, stinky smell is gone forever, nothing flammable in the genny, no need for a gas can, you're carrying propane anyway for the trailer. Plug and carb stays clean as does the oil. You get slightly less output but its not significant. I keep my genny on a cookie tray to catch any drips, strapped down in the back of the SUV, all good. The only large smelly item in the SUV is me after a hike before i get back to camp for a shower. LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>