R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Rpod 180 review and sad farewell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote IronStinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Rpod 180 review and sad farewell
    Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 12:07pm
Hey all,

Just wanted to start by saying a sincere thank you to the members of this forum. Everyone has been super helpful and every RV brand should be so lucky as to have a great resource like this for their owners.

Unfortunately that’s where the pleasant part of our Rpod ownership experience pretty much ends. Due to two seasons of constant problems, repairs, warranty work, and poor fit and finish, we traded for a Winnebago Micro last weekend.

Some of the problems we went through were related to dealer mistakes, but the majority were directly the fault of poor workmanship by Forest River.

We had to get the shower stall replaced because the drain wasn’t installed correctly from the factory. The Furrion radio fell out of the wall because Forest River did a half assed job of cutting the hole for it and the screws went into nothing (I fixed this myself by fabricating the board correctly). The trim around the bathroom door fell off. The roof leaked around the antenna which the dealer fixed, then it leaked around the A/C which ruined a speaker and an LED puck, and after that there was buckling of the walls on the front storage. One of the slide motors burned out which ruined a nice weekend. The hot water element died, dealers fault but FR sent the wrong replacement part which the dealer installed anyway so it leaked and back it went for service again. The Thule awning is pretty much the weakest piece of trash in awning history, thank goodness it had a warranty. The plumbing under the sink leaked, when I looked under there to try and see what was leaking I was in awe of how ghetto and cobbed together everything was under there. Back to the dealer again. Outlets mounted crooked, missing and stripped out screws everywhere, I have never seen a product put together so poorly in all of my 53 years. The dealer was great and pretty much admitted we got a lemon, but FR never responded once to anything.

Will the Winnie have some of the same issues? Maybe, since all these manufacturers seem to use a lot of the same equipment when putting these units together. But we darn sure looked hard at the little things when we were checking out the Winnie and it’s definitely put together MUCH nicer.

The Rpod towed like a dream and I’d say we would have enjoyed it for many years if it had been a quality product.

Once again thanks to everyone here for your help, I sincerely hope our experience was an aberration and you all continue to enjoy your trailers for many years. Cheers!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 2:45pm
If you don't find a mini winnie group to hang with, remember we have a "SOB" area here.. you are more than welcome to stay and hang out..
IronStinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote IronStinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 8:27am
Great idea!!
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ribet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:41am
I also own a 180 with some of the same problems.  I looks like they used a jack hammer to cut the hole for the radio and speaker selected switch.  The screws have no place to grab.  Electrical outlet boxes also are not straight due to the holes being so big.  But i will work out the problems as the dealer would not do a good job fixing them along with the other problems. Yes it tows good and that why I have it. 
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote crazycoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 8:01am
I own a 2017 180 and also had some of the same problems. so like I said before, FB built the pod, and I did all the repairs and finished it off to my spects., to fit my needs. Now, I love my 180. Most warranties are a joke to me. I bought the trailer for my use, not to be into someone's shop sitting on the back row waiting to be fixed. Stay on the forum, and you can learn a lot of repairs from the other Pod Owners, they have the knowledge. I finally broke down and got a Facebook account, just the Ipod club. There you can learn a lot from the owners, and keep your POD out of the shops. Good Luck to all.
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 7:08pm
Can I join this club???

I too have had more problems due to poor quality of build and parts used in the R-Pod that I don't know where to begin if I were to make a list! Yet, for all its many faults, we love our little Pod and beyond a doubt I've sure received an education in camper trailer repair and dealing with warranty issues with the dealer and factory. Though if like the OP of this thread I had problems with water leaks from the ceiling and de-lamination and warping of siding that would be the deal breaker and I would unload my R-Pod in a flash!

I know all RV's be it trailer campers and motor homes have issues since the beating they take going down the highways and byways. Yes, I know in everything that's manufactured there are lemons and all you can hope is your lucky enough to live in a State that has strong lemon laws on RV's. A quick short list of the problems I've had with my camper is the same as the OP he had with his. Crummy Thule awning that supports pulled out of the walls and extended braces that broke. Shower that leaked so bad I had to add support to the floor and re-putty and tighten the drain. Under the counter sink that fell down and then it was really an under the counter sink because it was held on only by the lip of screw heads they used, insane! Oh not to forget but I had to also replace its faucet because the cheap one they install in the factor broke, nice hu? Then lets add on after a year of ownership the cheap converter FR uses fries and two years out the power jack also gives up the ghost. It's been enough for most camper owners, like the OP of this thread, to say that's it I'm trading or selling but hey I'm a glutton for punishment, what can I say? Other then to say we really like its floor plan and the ease of towing and despite its many, many, problems we've had with it that we love it! Plus in my retirement years I'm thinking about opening up a camper repair business! Just kidding! Tongue 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ribet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 11:00pm
I would like to find out where the 180's mentioned above were built.  I believe mine was built in Oregon.  I will try to check tomorrow. Any ideas how to check on this?  Cant go out tonight due to a brown bear in my garage last night, 5 feet from my rPod.  
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 7:27am
I also shopped the Winnie Drop and found it a better over-all interior built. My issue is I'm tall and the Winnie has less headroom (bumped my head just walking around).

Does seem your on pretty much the same axle (lippert I believe) and never did find out frame thickness (secret I guess). That being said, probably same inherent issues with axle & frame. Just as a curiosity, if you would post up what you find on both. Axle rating & frame dimensions (width x height x thickness).

You should stick around! Far too many good folks here and most all your issues, questions and solutions will still relate.  

Best of with the new unit and safe travels!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
tcj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by ribet

I would like to find out where the 180's mentioned above were built.  I believe mine was built in Oregon.  I will try to check tomorrow. Any ideas how to check on this?  Cant go out tonight due to a brown bear in my garage last night, 5 feet from my rPod.  

No bears in my garage so I went out and looked everywhere inside and outside on our 2919 (built in April 2018) 180.  I could not find anything indicating where it was built.
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 10:06am
There is a manufacture date and place of manufacture on a decal on the front/right hand side of the frame.  On the west coast has the Hood river edition with the higher axles and  knobby tires.  I purchased mine almost two years ago that was manufactured in Dallas,Oregon,now they are built in Sheridan,Oregon. I contacted Forest River about about a new road wheel and using the serial number they confirmed the built date and place.  She also told me besides the axle and tires the Hood River version Paint scheme has the yellow curve on the side of the pod that the east coast version does not have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>