Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLifepo4 battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifepo4 battery
    Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:20am
The deals out of China start tomorrow and 1 day only. I'm watching for a deal on a Lipo4 battery and here's the one topping the list.

This one takes a 14.6v charge (as we'd hope for) and normal operating voltage of 12.8 (also what we're looking for). Be careful of one that charge 12v and operate 12v, those typically are rated 12v to 9v discharge.. Being we'd only get about 30-40% usage from them.

This one is 80ah and charges at 10amps. I'd have to setup charging accordingly. Build in balance charging and wall-wort charger included. Price shown is shipped.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:25am
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 6:25pm
My Lord Olddawgsrule for those prices I can buy three lead acid batteries for every one of those. Yes, I know they have more amp hours and discharge rate but my question is does it make economic sense over lead acid or even sealed glass mat batteries? I'm just wondering what is the advantage now of spending 3 times the money for lithium battery? Educate me please!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 6:39pm
I quit buying directly from China, I don't trust dealing with them. In June I ordered 2 electric folding Trikes at $199.00 each, and waited 4 weeks for delivery, the package came, inside were 2 face clothes. Thank God I paid with a credit card, 4 more weeks, I got my money back from Visa. Not a good deal.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by crazycoyote

I quit buying directly from China, I don't trust dealing with them. In June I ordered 2 electric folding Trikes at $199.00 each, and waited 4 weeks for delivery, the package came, inside were 2 face clothes. Thank God I paid with a credit card, 4 more weeks, I got my money back from Visa. Not a good deal.

You have to be really careful about batteries from China from what I hear.  They use cheap, off-brand cells, cheap BMSs, and since Lithium batteries are Hazmat, there's no sending them back.

As for those e-trikes, you can't get one decent bike battery for $199!

Caveat emptor.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:48pm
My concern that on the trailer tongue that bouncing will dislodge the plates in the battery and short out.  Personal experience with batteries.
1.Do not throw battery into water or make it wet
2.Keep the battery away from heat source
3.Do not throw the battery into fire or heat the battery
4.Forbid to hammer to trample the battery
5.Forbid disassembling the battery in anyway
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 6:56am
Originally posted by DavMar

My Lord Olddawgsrule for those prices I can buy three lead acid batteries for every one of those. Yes, I know they have more amp hours and discharge rate but my question is does it make economic sense over lead acid or even sealed glass mat batteries? I'm just wondering what is the advantage now of spending 3 times the money for lithium battery? Educate me please!

3x the price but also about 3x or more the cycle life so for boondock use where you cycle the batts a lot you break about even. But that’s not the real reason. The best reason is weight, or, more accurately, energy density. Lead acid gives you about 10 useable watt hours per pound, Li batteries provide about 5-7 times that. If you don’t need that much energy storage and/or weight in not an issue for you then for sure don’t spend the money on Li batteries.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:40am
Okay, let's address the concerns.
First, weight is the key item to me. I actually loose 100lbs of battery weight with minimal loss of amp-hours. The battery move move inside, reducing cable length to the charger and panel, also protecting it from excessive temperature. The Lithium can be brought into my home during the winter and used as emergency power bank (no off gassing). Cost for me is $160 more than what I bought my dual 6v's for.

As for buying from China, I've had good experiences buying through Aliexpress and Alibaba. I do recommend that you know what your buying and 'read' all the spec's carefully. I also check through all the forums I belong to and see if anyone has bought the product (or from) before. One of these batteries has been purchased before (The GTK)

As far as buying batteries with cheap parts.. Don't have to go to China for that to happen.. Some of the best Lithuim Ion batteries are made in China. So, yes, there is good and bad being sold there. Know your product and research them.

I mentioned this above, yet I don't intend to mount to the tongue. No reason to. The reason your Pba's are out there is because they're too dangerous to have inside.

Lastly, Yes weight is the largest concern for me. I know what my power usage is (I boondock a lot) and I know what my recovery is so I know I can comfortably move to a 80ah battery. Every battery has a limit to cycles before they break down. How you cycle effects the life of the battery. My old LA solar battery bank was purchased new. 2 year limited warranty, said they would last 5-7yrs (lucky if I get 10yrs) and they lasted 17yrs. Cycling is key to longevity. Same for the Lithium battery. 

I passed this along for anyone researching or looking for a Lifepo4 and wishes to save $$, here's a way.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:48am
One thing you need to be aware of, if you aren't already: LiFePO4 batteries have a very flat voltage curve. While that's nice while there's still charge in the battery, you have little to no warning when it runs out of juice and, consequently, accurate predictions of remaining charge from a monitoring perspective are almost impossible.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by TheBum

One thing you need to be aware of, if you aren't already: LiFePO4 batteries have a very flat voltage curve. While that's nice while there's still charge in the battery, you have little to no warning when it runs out of juice and, consequently, accurate predictions of remaining charge from a monitoring perspective are almost impossible.

Okay, I'll bite... It's still a wattage thing..??!!??
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>