R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171 vs 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 vs 177
    Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 11:36am
I always carry a tiny ceramic electric heater instead of using the heater under the bed.  I don't boondock so I always have electric hookups.  Using the electric heater saves my propane, so the under-the-bed heater is a non-issue now for me.  I like the extra room in the 177 and all of us who own one have become very creative in regard to storage space.  But you got the pod you wanted for your preferences, and I am sure you will enjoy your 171.  Happy Podding!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 11:39am
Thank you Diane

yes everybody have a r pod (model)  to fall in love with !
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 10:26pm
If we have hookups in the spring or fall we use a small ceramic heater, too.  With all of the insulation in the 'pod's walls and the small space it hardly runs.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 12:01pm
We are coming from the T@B world and have always used a little ceremic heater    ...somthe heater placement in the 177 is not an issue. That being said, we are sensitive to storage space and eventhough we are former backpackers, we still need a place to store all of the stuff we carry now that we've made the transition to rv'ers.

One thing no one has commented on but I see in the 2011 R-Pod brochure, is the difference in dimensions of the dinette area. Wondering if that is a typo or if it is correct. Brochure indicates that dinette in the 171 is 58" x 74" while in the 177 it shows a dimension of 42" x 74". For those of you "in the know", which is correct?

My second question for 177 owners is exactly how much additional aisle space is created by the slide-out. I'm guessing it's around 16"     ...but the brochure doesn't go into that much detail.

Next question is in regard to the placement of the refrigerator between the 171 and 177. Looks like in the 171 the fridge is right next to the bed while in the 177 it is over by the dinette. Given that we have a T@B now with a 12 Volt fridge we aremfamiliar with the noise it makes when the compressor kicks in. Just wondering if having the fridge further away from the bed is better from a noise standpoint.

Lastly (at least for this post anyway), I notice that the layout of the toilet/shower is reversed between the 171 and 177. Is that the ONLY difference between them or are there other subtleties that the brochure does not depict or describe.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback. After 3 seasons in a T@B we are looking forward to moving up a step but really want to make an informed decision between the 171 and 177 models. If it helps any   ...we are 2 adults with a large (Lab) dog.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 12:52pm
Just went out and measured my 171.   That58" didn't sound right. The dinette table in our2010 is 41 + inches. All pods are 74" inside standard, not including the slide out.
We have't been disturbed by the frig compressor on 120V, we don't see that as a problem, and I sleep with my head next to it, right over the water heater. Quite quiet actually.
I don't understand the comment about the toilet shower reversal. The toilet mechanism is in a box under the bed, it would not appear that to switch positions makes sense. They show that arrangement on the 176 too, I see on the FR site. Am I wrong about that box behind the toilet under the bed?
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 1:16pm
Hey thanks   ...that was very helpful - - and a speedy reply.

As for the toilet/bathroom, I guess it's really not that big of a deal unless the actual room dimensions are different between the 2 models. But in the brochure, as you probably saw, they even show the door swinging outward in opposite directions between the 171 and 177 ?

Again   ...thanks for the fast and accurate reply !

Mark J
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Runebane

Wife and I have the 177 and love it.  The pop out kitchen sold us.   It's not much extra room, but it really helps.
Same goes for us. It's enough extra room to give the sensation of a much wider trailer, even if it's only in the middle.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Just went out and measured my 171.   That58" didn't sound right. The dinette table in our2010 is 41 + inches. All pods are 74" inside standard, not including the slide out.

That's right ! It's a mistake in the brochure
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 7:35pm
The strange thing about my 172 is that it appears so much larger on the inside than it does on the outside, which is what Forest River seems to do with all their Pod layouts.  It really is amazing to me.  There is so much storage space on the inside that I have all the room I need for all of my stuff, then some.  I started out wanting the slide out, but like the set up of the 172 better.  The only thing I wish my Pod had was a window behind the kitchen counter.  Right now, I use the shower vent and fan to vent the hot air off the cooking burners and it seems to being doing very well, however, it would have been nice to have the window option so that I could have hung a hanging plant under the cabinets.  All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.  Either way, my advice to you would be to spend a little time in both models and see which one serves your purpose more completely.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by secretbard

The only thing I wish my Pod had was a window behind the kitchen counter.   All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.  Either way, my advice to you would be to spend a little time in both models and see which one serves your purpose more completely.  

I would say exactly the same .
I spend 4 hours at the dealer to compare the 2 models.

At first I went there to buy the 177 not knowing the 171 .

And at the end .. the 171 was better for us.
Even if the slide out was attractive at first.

But I had the chance to see both side to side.

*** question : the words dealer .. and saler  .. does it mean the same thing ?
If I talk about the place that I bought my trailer  .

Thank you  Embarrassed
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>