R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171 vs 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 vs 177
    Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 7:01pm
And how many of those 20 year periods ago was that.....?...
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:40pm
Back to task...

With the two of you and a LARGE dog...you might like a little extra room to keep from tripping over "Bowser".

We went with the 177 because momma and I aren't small people, and it would get a tad crowded when we tried to pass each other in the 171-173 Pods.  That little extra room makes it much more comfortable for us.
oldgrumpy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:43pm

We are retired, but wish to become newbies to camping. We think we will be invigorated by adding a new element to our life-style. Most of our trips would be within 300 to 400 miles of central Indiana. We are looking to the possible purchase of either a 171 or a 177. I'm very concerned about GVWR of the trailer as our TV will be our existing 2009 Town & Country 4.0L V-6. We have the factory tow package and a class III receiver. I would install a brake controller and probably a WDH. My goal is to tow no more than 80% of our maximum allowable tow weight which would be just under 3100 lbs. GVW for the trailer. While we will be in control of what goes into the Pod and therefore its GVW I'm still curious as to the GVWR difference between the two with the 177 being 551 lbs. higher than the 171. The 171 has a Dry Ship Weight of 2121 lbs., while the 177 has a DSW of 2285 lbs., a surprising difference of only 164 lbs. given the slide. However the 177 has a cargo capacity of 387 lbs more than the 171. Is there a structural difference between the two to account for this difference in cargo capacity, or is my lack of experience causing me to miss something obvious. We would like the extra room of the 177 and I think could travel lite enough to stay close to a 3100lbs. limit, but I a little nervous with the extra weight.

I've learned a great deal from all of you already and feel regardless of which Pod we eventually purchase, we will be joining a group of very friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming folks.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 7:08pm
Welcome!  I just looked at the specs on FR's website, and I have two guesses.  One, they may use a different axle on the 177 which has a higher weight capability.  That's only a guess though.  I did notice the 171 has 35 gallon gray/black tanks where the 177 only has 30 gallon tanks.  So I'm sure they take the maximum weight of the liquid into account when figuring the amount of cargo you can add inside.  An extra 10 gallons is around 90 pounds.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 2:56am
Greetings and welcome. We pull our 2010 RP172 with our 2006 Dodge Caravan, which is, for all intents and purposes, essentially a 2006 Town and Country. If I'm not mistaken, you have the newer design, and apparently a slightly larger V6 (We have the largest for our year model at 3.8L). Although we didn't have the factory installed tow package, we had the dealership we bought from install an aftermarket hitch with which we are pleased. I've also installed some suspension helpers on the rear leaves to keep the rear in the air when towing. I think it also adds some stability, as it stiffens the suspension. I also considered adding an additional transmission cooler, but haven't done it yet.

As far as our towing experience, the 172 is 2221 lbs dry, not dissimilar to the 171 and 177. I've heard this weight doesn't include the refrigerator or the TV or microwave (the latter two we don't have). So that should be included in the cargo weight.  We can pull at 60-65 mph as long as we aren't going uphill, and we get the usual 9-11 mpg. This seems to be about the same no matter what you tow with. But at least when we're not towing we can get ~23mpg. Unlike most pickup trucks.  We don't do a lot of long distance trips because of the cost, but for shorter trips (~100 miles) it's fairly nice to tow.

We haven't used a WDH, and we haven't had any issues, but I think it's a preference thing.

We don't have the axle risers, but I plan on getting those and putting them on myself, because our sloped driveway gives us a hassle each time we park it.

If you have any other questions about towing with a minivan, I'd be glad to share my experiences.

Happy trails!

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:20am
Welcome to the group oldgrumpy!  Nice to have a fellow Hoosier! Smile

Your question is interesting....I wish I knew the answer.  My guess would be something along the lines of what Techntrek mentioned.  Personally, if I were buying today, I'd likely favor the slide model - for the extra elbow room.  It is all a matter of personal choice, however.  It comes down to what "works" best for you. 

Please check in often and let us know how things are going.
splante View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:36am
We did go with the 177.  Although the amount of room does not sound like much, it was the thing that made us pick the 177.  We have two small to medium dogs and it really would have been too tight in the 171. I also did not like the fridge next to the bed in the 171, not for noise just that if someone was still asleep and you wanted to get in the fridge you might disturb them.  Also made the bed seem more closed in. 

Being former tent campers, we had a lot of stuff.  Storage is not ideal, however I have been adapting with each trip.  We do not use the bathroom, so it is a closet for us.  There is the under seat storage that is handy.  We still visit parks with no electric so have pots and dishes in a bin that can be kept outside when at any site.  We do have the microwave (which I never thought I would use, but love when have electric sites) but if you don't go with it, that gives more room.  

We also considered the 175, but with dogs that we allow on furniture, the couch would have likely gotten messy and the cover is not removable.  

Whatever you go with, it is good to do some price checking.  We found the best deal at Couch's in Ohio, then found a dealer closer that came close to their price with less travel to get it.  Saved A LOT of money! 
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by splante

We did go with the 177.  Although the amount of room does not sound like much, it was the thing that made us pick the 177.  We have two small to medium dogs and it really would have been too tight in the 171. I also did not like the fridge next to the bed in the 171, not for noise just that if someone was still asleep and you wanted to get in the fridge you might disturb them.  Also made the bed seem more closed in. 

I hope that you don't need to use the furnace too often because it's under the bed in the 177 , and that makes noise even more than a fridge. We never heard the fridge when we were asleep.
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 3:54pm

I agree that the fridge really isn't an issue, either for noise or light.  And yes, the furnace is like a jet engine taking off, the only thing worse for noise is the A/C.  Which is why we leave the A/C fan on all night.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 4:08pm
Yes, the furnace is quite loud.  When camping with no hook ups, it drains the battery quickly, also.
When I have electric hook ups, I use a small electric heater.  It will keep the temperature as "toasty" as I wish - with very little noise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>