Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWe Sold Our 172 Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: We Sold Our 172 Today
    Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 10:34pm
Well fellow Podders, we sold our 172 today to a nice couple from Lake Tahoe.  I told them about the forum and I am pretty sure they'll be joining soon.  

We are replacing our Pod with another Forest River product, a Sonoma 167rb, which is a little longer than the typical Pod.  The layout is very similar to the new 192, but with a walk around queen bed instead of the Murphy bed.  They're built out west in So.Cal.  They have an I-beam rail frame and a leaf spring suspension with wheels that don't extend outside the trailer body.  

I'm already planning mods.  Wink

Unless we get thrown off the board, we'll continue posting.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 7:00am
It takes a hella transgression to get removed.. in the nearly a decade I have been coming here, I think I have seen it twice to actual members.. spammers get dropped/blocked with regularity.

Grats on the new rig, we do have a area just for those who don't, like me, still own a Pod. In a way I am lucky, the new TT has a very strong owners group. But most don't. So we do encourage them to stay, your Pod knowledge is still valuable to the group, and you have history here.. Wink
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 9:28am
I took a look at a video of the interior of the Sonoma, looks nice. One question, the bed really has a big overhang, is it sturdy? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:06am
I too sold my 172 this year. I really liked it, but got seduced by the extra space and north/south facing queen bed the new 195 offered. So nice to be able to get in and out of bed without climbing up, or over. Having the nice big frig (that is super cold) was a nice upgrade as well. Although I was ok with the wetbath, having a drybath, with room to move, vanity, medicine chest and storage is well appreciated. I do miss my dome, but everything else is a positive move. I looked at this unit your getting and my only small issue I have with it is the 22 gal grey tank, instead of thirty. As I think about it, most times this will probably not be an issue, I just have the bigger is better feeling I guess.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:06am
Looks nice Fred. 

Hope you stick around.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:33pm
The bed overhang is too much with a full size queen mattress, but the short queen [75"] fits just fine and leaves enough room to attach a fold up cutting board counter top like I did in our Pod.  I plan to give the crappy full queen mattress away and replace it with a foam short queen.  And yes, the bed base is a little flimsy and would be in danger of breaking if two people as fat as me sat on it together.  Thankfully, my wife is petite.  But I do plan on putting a reinforcement on the bed base just to be safe.  And that way, I can eat more potato chips.  

Since I don't like cleaning the black water tank and we've always tried to use the camp ground bathrooms for serious business, 22 gallons will be adequate but marginal, unless I've been drinking an awful lot of beer or coffee.  It was one of the trade offs.  The Sonoma is shorter than the 192 by about 2 feet and not so heavy.  I don't know the width of the 192's body, so I can't really make a comparison.  Basically, it's very similar to the r-Pod in overall scale, except with the wheels tucked nicely underneath and a slightly narrower overall width so its easier to back into narrow spaces, like the gates to my back yard where we will store it.  

Furpod said it is hard to get thrown out of here so I'll stick around as long as I am welcome.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 6:19am
Your contributions have been much appreciated. I hope you continue here.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:14am
The Sonoma up till the current model lists 32 gallons "total fresh water tank capacity", which is FR's code that it includes the 6 gal water heater tank, so probably 26 gallons useable. That should be a good match to a 22 gallon gray tank plus a little for "light use" of the black tank, and/or some outside shower use. 

Interestingly, the current (2020) model specs list 50 gallons fresh water but still 22 gallons each gray and fresh. What's up with that? Doesn't make a lot of sense if correct. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 12:39pm
There are discrepancies with the dealer representations about fresh water capacity.  Some say 32 gallons plus 6 for hot water tank, while others say 32 gallons without specifying.  All say 22 gallon gray and black tanks.  Moral of the story, there are compromises in this life that we all have to accept to get generally what will work best for our individual needs.  22 gallons black capacity is plenty for 2 people under most of our personal camping conditions.  We'll have to be careful with the gray water.  As for fresh water, it's easy to make my wife go fill a 6 gallon jerry can with campground water and fill the fresh water tank when necessary.  Confused

On the official Canadian weight sticker, it says that the cold water weighs 98kg and the hot 23, so that should come out to a water tank in the neighborhood of 32 gallons + the 6 for the water heater, or 38 in total.  Since we don't drink tank water for aesthetic reasons [the water molecules are uglier Wink] we're going to be drowning in fresh water for cooking and washing at that amount.  

I think the 50 gallon capacity for fresh water applies to the 2020 version, which we didn't buy.  Also, what I found out is that they moved production of the 7' wide units from Rialto, CA to Hemet, CA due to point of work issues when on scaffolds on either side fo the trailer.  They make 8' wide trailers in Rialto and didn't want to install new scaffolding systems to accommodate the further reach off the scaffold.  In Hemet they build narrower trailers such as the Geo-Pro, so the 7' Sonoma's production worked out better.  But to accommodate the change, they dropped some features like tinted windows because they didn't want to have to maintain a large inventory of parts.  In looking at the differences between the trailers built at the two locations, there are a number of other construction differences, not better or worse, just different.   And the guy with the caulk gun in the Hemet plant seems to be a little more careful.  We're having the dealer re-caulk a number of things before delivery.

This is the actual trailer we're getting.  [Please note I straightened the galley plug in my walk through. Cool  I couldn't help myself.  It was an irresistible impulse.] https://www.rvtoscano.com/2019-forest-river-sonoma-167rb-new-travel-trailer-los-banos-ca-93635-i2466081 We did get a much better price, though.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 1:29pm
How many pounds capacity is the axle??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>