Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWe Sold Our 172 Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: We Sold Our 172 Today
    Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:04pm
I've been given inconsistent information in this regard.  FR reps have given me a range of 4200 to 4500 for this particular product line, but I don't believe them.  The ground was full of sharp gravel at my walk through, so I didn't get a good look underneath at the axle sticker.  When I get the trailer home, I'm going to crawl under it and get the SN and will call the manufacturer to confirm the actual rating.  

When I was looking at a comparable trailer in Carson City, it had rims that were industrial in character and I thought I saw 6 lug nuts, but it turns out there are 5 on the actual trailer.  Since it is a leaf spring configuration with what appears to be about a 3.5 inch round axle I assume it is adequate for the GVW of the trailer, but knowing FR, I' sure they give no extra capacity.  Doing the math, with a 400 pound tongue weight and a 4300 GVW, I suspect the axle has about a 3900 lbs. capacity.  I'd like to figure out a way to add some shock absorbers to lessen the potential bounce, but I'm not inclined to mess with the suspension unless the axle company sells the parts for such a modification.  I don't  want to void any warranties.

Without a cantilevered axle configuration, combined with leaf springs directly under the I-beam trailer chassis, and the fact that we tend to travel on the light side of the bring the kitchen sink along scale, I am going to focus my attention more on making some comfort and utility mods that won't add materially to the weight.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:42am
Originally posted by lostagain

On the official Canadian weight sticker, it says that the cold water weighs 98kg and the hot 23, so that should come out to a water tank in the neighborhood of 32 gallons + the 6 for the water heater, or 38 in total.  Since we don't drink tank water for aesthetic reasons [the water molecules are uglier Wink] we're going to be drowning in fresh water for cooking and washing at that amount.  

I think the 50 gallon capacity for fresh water applies to the 2020 version, which we didn't buy. 

98 kg = 216 lbs = 25.9 gallons. So that is consistent with 26 usable and 32 gallons total of which 6 sits in the water heater.  That appears to have changed in 2020 but I'm thinking that that might be a typo since 50 gallons of water weighs in at 417 lbs which would be crazy heavy on a small trailer.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:33am
Opps, I added the 6 gal in twice.  The curse of multi-tasking at my advanced age.  FW tank capacity looks to be 26 gallons.  

FR is really sloppy in providing specifications in all their trailers that I looked at, including the r-Pod, Sonoma, Geo-Pro, and e-Pr0.  They also have a tendency to leave out information.  For example, they list the width of the r-Pod as 8', which is it's wheel base, but try to find the with of the cabin. 

I guess my wife is going to have to take one more trip to the campground faucet to fill the 6 gal. jerry can if we run short of water.  Ermm

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:48pm
I think your wife is probably safe from much if any jerry can toting.Thumbs Up Since you minimize toilet use and only have 22 gallons of gray water capacity, you will probably be overflowing that about the same time you run out of fresh water.  

There are RV water saver systems that let you use gray water for toilet flushing, I used to have one in one of my old RV's. Worked pretty well as long as I was scrupulous about not letting crud get in the gray tank. 

If you had one of those systems you could run 44 gallons through your fresh tank before you overflowed your two waste tanks, maybe more if you use your outside shower. That amounts to another 3 jerry cans full, so your wife could really get some exercise....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 8:00am
We took delivery of our FR Sonoma 167rb, brought right to the front driveway.  Got a little dirty on the trip over the Sierras due to a snow storm the day before.  All seems to be in order and I've already started the mods, including a power tongue jack, dual 6v golf cart batteries, a usb plug, a new mattress, a folding counter top like the one I put in our Pod, etc.  I did a pre-purchase inspection that took the better part of a day a couple weeks earlier and caught a number of things that needed attention.  Since we are quite far from the selling dealer and the local one is not real inclined to honor the FR warranty, the trip to do the inspection was worth it.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12