R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZamp Port Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zamp Port Wiring
    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 8:15pm
How is my Zamp port wired into the battery? Will Forest River give me a wiring diagram? I called Zamp and was told their units have built-in charge controllers. So I used my favorite solar panel and a charge controller and plugged it into the Zamp port. Didn't charge the battery, but I get battery voltage at the Zamp port.

For now the panel is connected directly to the battery and my disconnect switch is open. That disconnects the Zamp port, too, but keeps the radio from killing the battery.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:11pm
If you didn’t use a Zamp panel you probably need a polarity reverser.  Zamp is backwards. 

Your email was a bit confusing regarding the controller.  There is no controller built into the Zamp connection on the RPod that I am aware of.  I have a portable panel with controller and polarity reverse adapter and it works perfectly.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 8:08am
Our new trailer comes with one of those Zamp Port connectors attached to the front of the trailer at the bottom.  I peeked underneath and it looks like it is just hooked to terminal block that has a couple of stouter cables coming off it to be connected to the battery.  Am I hallucinating once again?

I was thinking I'd just disconnect the Zamp plug and make a new connection from the terminal block to leads that would go to my controller that I've been using on our old Pod very successfully.  Jeepinator mentioned that polarity on the Zamp plug is backwards.  I assume that they do follow normal DC wiring conventions, or do they do that backwards too?  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by lostagain

Our new trailer comes with one of those Zamp Port connectors attached to the front of the trailer at the bottom.  I peeked underneath and it looks like it is just hooked to terminal block that has a couple of stouter cables coming off it to be connected to the battery.  Am I hallucinating once again?

I was thinking I'd just disconnect the Zamp plug and make a new connection from the terminal block to leads that would go to my controller that I've been using on our old Pod very successfully.  Jeepinator mentioned that polarity on the Zamp plug is backwards.  I assume that they do follow normal DC wiring conventions, or do they do that backwards too? 
The Zamp thing is just connected directly to the battery(ies). There might be a terminal block, but it's pretty much straight through. No solar controller or anything. And yes, there was a period when the Zamp connectors were being built with reverse polarity.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 10:07am
To reverse the polarity you just need a simple adapter similar to https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7DFMDW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_nKv2Db0E0F2NE

2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 10:59am
Thanks for the info.  

On the Sonoma, there is a terminal block where the Zamp connector, with maybe #14 wire, connects to a block that has +/- #12 wire for leads to the battery.  Inasmuch as my current solar system is all #10 wire in and out of the controller and to the 100W panel, it seems the Zamp wires are a little skimpy.  I was going to connect heavier wire to make up a plug system to make it easy to connect the controller, using MC4 connectors.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by lostagain

You probably found the 30a auto-breaker! 

My solar in the side plug runs through this before it reaches the battery. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 11:16am
I didn't get a very good look at what was there, just that it appeared to be connected to some sort of junction block.  I have a 30 amp breaker in the box that I set up to hold the controller.  It's a little more convenient, so if there is one underneath getting full of water and crud, I'll probably bypass it.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:06am
Use a voltmeter to determine polarity before you connect anything. There is really no "normal" dc wiring convention. Vehicles typically follow the back negative red positive convention, but RV house wiring generally follows the national electric code requirements, white neutral (negative) and black hot (positive). There have also been cases where things are miswired.  So confirm before connecting.

The Zamp port adds to the confusion by reversing the connector from its "normal" configuration. There is no need to use it at all if you don't want to, you can connect your solar charge controller to the battery any way you want. 

Do add a fuse or circuit breaker as close to the battery positive terminal as reasonably possible. That applies to the Zamp circuit too, the Zamp circuit doesn't appear to have a fuse but should.  You can use a 30 amp fuse or cb for 10 gauge wire, if you go with 12 gauge wire then use a 20 amp fuse. i wouldn't use a wire size any smaller than that, too much voltage drop. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Jeepinator

There is no controller built into the Zamp connection on the RPod that I am aware of.  I have a portable panel with controller and polarity reverse adapter and it works perfectly.

That is the answer I was looking for.  I checked polarity and made harnesses accordingly.  I think the 25 watt panel I used could not generate enough current to overcome the radio draw during my initial tests, making me think it wasn't working.  Hooked directly to the battery, my handmade panel and controller is keeping the battery well charged, with no loads. 

Thanks!!
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>