Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric bikes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric bikes
    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 1:02pm
I just bought 2 Electric bikes. I got the radcity bikes from radpowerbikes.com . Anybody here have any electric bikes, radcity, or other types? Was wondering how you like them, and how well they do. Thanks
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I just bought 2 Electric bikes. I got the radcity bikes from radpowerbikes.com . Anybody here have any electric bikes, radcity, or other types? Was wondering how you like them, and how well they do. Thanks

I have a 2018 RadRover, about 14 months old, with about 1500 miles on it.  It's been great!  I like the fat tires for the beach, but they aren't all that great on dry soft sand.  In fact, they barely work at all.  But you can zoom on packed sand!  Anywhere else, on multi-use trails, streets, etc., it's fantastic.  All the fun of a bike with only as much effort as you care to put into it, including up long hills, which honestly, at my age, would have me under a beach umbrella if not not for e-bikes.

I still have 2 analog Treks that haven't been out forever.  I'm thinking of buying a kit to electrify one of them and maybe give the other to a grandkid. 

I've been very pleased with RPB warranty and helpfulness over the phone and by email.  Depending on where you are, you might have a hard time finding local service for an electric bike.  I do close to 100% of my own work though so that's not a problem for me.  If you know which end of a wrench to hold and can use You-Tube just about anyone can do anything though.

Congrats on your new bikes.  You're going to love them.

Since it's unrelated to RPods I doubt there's anything wrong with pointing you to https://electricbikereview.com/forum.  Lots of good people and good info there on ebikes in general and Rads in particular.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:33pm
Thanks TT. I'm really glad to hear you like it. I read lots of reviews, but hearing from someone I "almost sorta know, but not really" lol, is comforting. I've been looking for the last 2 months at buying two, one for me, one for the mrs, at 1500 bucks each. Right now they are 200 dollars off for early black friday sale, and an extra 200 off if you buy two bikes. So I lucked out and saved 600 bucks by waiting. I cannot wait to get out riding on these, I live in a hilly area and it seems like it's uphill in every direction. I'm not as good at uphill as I was 40 years ago. As far as the bikes in the pod, I hope mine fit in, my 195 has lots of space so I think it could work. If not, I do have a tongue mount bike carrier I've been using for a couple years. Thanks for the response.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 6:22pm
Sounds like a fantastic price for an e-bike.  Bought a Specialized road bike for myself 7 years ago, and it cost 1500 bucks.   Figures out to over $ 88/pound of bike.   For a little bit more I could have bought coby beef!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 10:07am

I live in a hilly area and it seems like it's uphill in every direction.
I know. Where I grew up I remember walking uphill in the snow to school. Both ways.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 8:02am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I live in a hilly area and it seems like it's uphill in every direction.
I know. Where I grew up I remember walking uphill in the snow to school. Both ways.
You and I must have grown up in the same place Tongue. Sorta like Kansas where you've always got a headwind, no matter which way you're going. Angry
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 9:50am

we bought two of the Rad City Step thru bikes when they were on sale in Nov.  Even tho it is winter we have ridden them some, and I can tell they will be a great thing to take camping.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 2:07pm
I like the RadMini that I have, but trust me on this, the factory supplied seat is junk. Junk I say.

Buy a cushy saddle and you will be a lot happier on long rides. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 5:36pm
I don't know, but I doubt the saddle on the mini is different than on the Rover.  I tried the saddle on my old Trek (which I liked) and switched back to the OEM Rover saddle.  Saddles have a whole lot to do with your own personal butt, and it can cost a fortune to experiment with saddles -- unless you can get a local bike shop to let you try one for a day or two and swap it out.  I wouldn't hesitate to spend more than a hundred bucks on a good saddle if necessary, but apparently my butt has turned to iron in my old age.  Point being, everyone's different.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 9:38pm
Well, true of course, but presumably most buyers of e-bikes on this forum are, lets say, past their prime...

And most of us in that category will benefit from a more comfy seat or a suspension seat post. Of course anyone ordering one of the bikes will have the chance to try out the supplied seat and determine if a better seat will make the ride more enjoyable.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply