R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplacing interior lights with LED's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing interior lights with LED's
    Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 2:30pm
The power used may be very low compared to non-LEDs, but the illumination is so low that even with ALL of the Pod lights on...they were equivalent to maybe one or two of the incandescents.

Yeah... this sounds similar to my experience.  I had outfitted our tent trailer with solar panels, charge controller and LED lights 4-5 years ago.  The superbright bulbs available at that time were arranged in an array of 36 bulbs and the specifications looked pretty good.  In reality, they gave off a very cold light and weren't bright enough to read by.  I ended up swapping half of the bulbs in the trailer back to incandescents.

When we bought the r-pod, I didn't even try.  Instead, I replaced the 7w bulbs with 4w ones in two of the fixtures - one over the bed and the other in one of the two fixtures over the table.

But, most importantly, is how/when we use them.  When we're off grid, lights are only turned on when they're needed, and they're turned off when they're not.  Instead of leaving on the porch light while we're outside, I light our naptha lantern.

I'll just look at getting some dimmer #912 type bulbs.

On the advice of another camper on a different forum, I bought replacement 4w bulbs for Noma Moon Rays at Home Depot.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 2:09pm
Thanks.  I'll just look at getting some dimmer #912 type bulbs.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
peachpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 7:09pm
Amazing difference!  Just think if everyone in the world switched all lights to LED, how much energy we could save.  Thanks for sharing!
Beth and Joe
2011 Prime Time Tracer 195M
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 2:30pm
  As I travel around I have been checking at the bigger truck stops to see what is out there. At the Iowa-80 (Worlds Largest Truck Stop) at the 284 mile marker on I-80 in Iowa I found an assortment of LED bulbs that I thought would work, the ones that I used have 5 LED's and placed one in one light above the dinet and 2 in the light above the bed in the back. We really like the one in the back above the bed because it is dimmer then regular bulbs and the one above the dinet is great for just a little light when watching TV at night. Other than that it is disapointing that they are not as bright. I used a single LED bulb to replace the marker lights on the side of the POD, they are also some what dimmer but were plenty bright enough when traveling at night.
  None of the bulbs are cheap. They had a 9 LED bulb that could be used in the out side light by the door but at $35 I thought that I would wait and see how these do before I spend the money on it.
  The bulbs used in the over head light just use the standard #912 bulb but anything out there that is LED and has that type of base does not seem to be as bright as the 912 bulb. That is sad.  Cry
         Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 7:45am
I bought the 'brightest' LED replacement bulbs (had the most LEDs per bulb) from Superbrightleds.com. The power used may be very low compared to non-LEDs, but the illumination is so low that even with ALL of the Pod lights on...they were equivalent to maybe one or two of the incandescents.  I switched back most of the bulbs...

TIDALWAVE
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by pod-head

Correct, the interior lights are 921. These are also called miniature wedge base bulbs:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini-wedge.html

One of the claims on the above page is:

"The following 194/168 type bulbs will replace any miniature wedge base bulb with a 3 digit part number."

This, to me, means that 921's can be replaced by 194 & 168. We'll find out, since I just ordered some WLED-xHP10-DAC to go over the kitchen sink.

I'm looking to replace my bulbs too.  What was the final outcome of this?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
pod-head View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:16pm
Correct, the interior lights are 921. These are also called miniature wedge base bulbs:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini-wedge.html

One of the claims on the above page is:

"The following 194/168 type bulbs will replace any miniature wedge base bulb with a 3 digit part number."

This, to me, means that 921's can be replaced by 194 & 168. We'll find out, since I just ordered some WLED-xHP10-DAC to go over the kitchen sink.

===========================
'10 RP177 towed with '10 Tundra
D and T, and sometimes Nala the cat
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 11:22am
Tom,

Thanks for tip on using a brighter bulb with more LED's. 

URL for WLED-WHP10-D

Tiny URL for above

http://tinyurl.com/y9vlems

Ed
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
GrandPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 6:42am
 The bulbs that come with the R-Pod are a 921 type. I replaced mine with Leds from Superbrightleds.com used the WLED-WHP10-D. Where there 2 921 type bulbs; I used 1 Wled-whp10-D Led. I tried the 6 led one but was not bright enough.
 The bulb for the outside light is a type 1141.
 I tried several different leds from sellers on Ebay but none of the ones I tried were bright enough; so I went with the superbrightleds.com one.
 Tom
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 3:54am
I'll check out mine today and post what type of bulb it has.  Single or double contacts.  It seems they would be single.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>