R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDead battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead battery
    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 8:11am
After just two weeks the battery is completely dead. Only draw is the radio and the CO detector I think. This doesn't seem right. Battery was full when parked. Is this normal? I have a battery disconnect but forgot to switch it off. Battery is only weeks old. 2019 195
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 8:30am
Yes, that's to be expected. Those two appliances can easily equal a 0.2A load. 0.2A X 24hrs x 14days = 67A-Hrs = dead battery if you have the OEM group 24 battery. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 10:26am
In addition to what Charlie said, letting your battery drain completely is not good for the battery.  It may recharge and be fine, I hope so, but letting this happen doesn't help the life of your battery.

If you can leave the Pod hooked up to 120v when it's in storage, that works great.  Remembering to flip the cutoff switch will work too.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 12:10pm
Even with the battery disconnected, it will drain, although more slowly. If the battery is completely disconnected from any loads, it would still need to be boosted once every 4-6 weeks.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 12:26pm
I've been wondering about this myself.  I bought my camper used with batteries needing to be replaced in the near future.  Its getting close to that now and I will by golf cart batteries as per advice on this forum.  Before the expense though I need a plan to keep them from losing charge.  My pod is parked where I have no power. 

My question: assuming I remember the cutoff switch, can I boost the batteries once a month by hooking them to my TV? If so, how long should that take?

Thanks for any advice.

Julie
Julie
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 1:22pm
If you need to store your pod where there is no power, I would consider removing the battery(ies) and put them someplace where you can trickle charge them. Another option would be a small solar-powered battery maintainer (something like this)
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 2:22pm
Thanks, glue guy. The batteries are too heavy and its too far for me to move them. I've thought about the solar charger but I i think the charger would get stolen (plus i keep everything covered).  So...my initial question: can I do this by hooking my TV up regularly?
Julie
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 2:52pm
If you decide to "plug in" using extension cords, remember to turn off the water heater first or at least have water in it.  Otherwise, you can burn out the heater element in a hurry.  Don't ask me how I know this.
Enjoy Life!!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 3:23pm
I currently own 2 Interstate 12v group size 24 deep cycle batteries for my 177.  Protocol has been the same since 2011, hence these batteries are still working well after nearly 9 years:  1) remove batteries late October/early November and set on concrete floor in our unheated garage (northern Michigan)  2) clean posts and check water levels in each cell  3)   2 amp trickle charge at this time for 24 - 36 hours/battery.  4) leave both batteries hibernate during the winter - nothing done during this time  5) early May repeat step number 2 and 3 above then re-install.  Works well.  I planned on going with twin 6 volt batteries many years ago but the ones I currently own refuse to die so until that happens I will continue to use them.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 3:47pm
EchoGale,

you can, in most cases use your TV to charge TT batteries if your TV is set up correctly, a multimeter will assist in determining it is working. It doesn't matter what type battery you install, without a charge or maintain capability they will drain if connected. As for how long, it is determined by the charge of the battery when you start.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>