R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeater placement - Event Date: 13 Dec 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Heater placement
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:09am
So does anybody else own a 2020 189 R-Pod and wonder about the placement of the heater?  Went dry camping in the hills this past week...for the first time.  I could not figure out what the “brilliant “ engineer had in mind when they installed the heater.  It works fine but the fan blows the heat into the small compartment under the bed...fan blows to the right...rather than out into the living space. Is this the standard placement for all Pods?  Anybody else wonder why the heater was not placed to blow heat into the living space.  So as the heated air blows into this small compartment...nice and warm place to dry shoes...some of this warm air will drift out but by the time it makes it to the other end of the Pod...what warm air?  We had to put the thermostat at 73 to over heat that compartment and thus get some warm air out to my wife’s toes sitting at the table.  I am now looking at either turning and cutting out a place for the heater...or constructing a diverter to direct the warm air out of the compartment.  Am I missing something here, is this standard issue, is it a safety concern...whaddup?  Any ideas would be much appreciated.  Embarrassed
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:43am
My set up is different than yours, but the heat is also pretty mis-directed.  Some people come up with some kind of diverter, others use a battery operated fan.  For dry camping you can use an electric heater, which is often the best option, but a Mr. Heater Big Buddy heater will run you out of a Pod.

Because of humidity buildup it's always best to leave a window and or the vent cracked.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 1:45pm
For any non-vented propane powered heaters, it is a must to leave a window partly open.  It consumes the oxygen in the space and is supposed to have an automatic shut off if the O2 level goes too low, but what it it doesn't work and you're sleeping?  It may be a very long sleep.  Unhappy
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 3:12pm
I believe that the installed propane heaters in the R-Pods take in fresh air from the outside for combustion? There should be no problem with dropping the O2 level in the trailer.
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 3:35pm
For the record the problem with non vented propane heaters is CO (carbon monoxide) buildup in an enclosed space. The CO buildup is caused by low O2 levels due to inadequate ventilation but the CO is what actually kills you. 

The Suburban heaters in our trailers use an external air supply and are externally vented so not a problem. The heater in the 179 also blows into the under bed area but the opening into the rest of the trailer is plenty large enough that the whole space will be heated just fine by natural convection. Just be patient, you won't have hot air blowing right on you immediately. It won't get too hot under there unless you block off the space with gear. A couple pairs of boots are fine. 

Non vented portable heaters can be used if you want but maintain good ventilation and use a CO detector. I think the main reason to consider using one is to reduce electric consumption if you're boon docking. The Suburban furnace blower is an energy hog. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:34pm
So “heating” the Pod is an indirect approach. Sure vents are open, windows cracked...but with the propane heater working don’t expect heat to be warm but to keep the inside from icing up? Using another heater while dry camping only sucks the electron flow from everything else...then what’s the point of having a propane heater that can’t heat the space? Of course the under bed area is nice and toasty. Looks like a custom diverter is in my future. O2 levels are a concern but freezing toes are the issue.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:44pm
Go with either metal or aluminum foil-covered plastic for the diverter. We used a magnetic plastic ceiling register diverter without foil and it melted. It was the perfect size though.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:56pm
Aren't the trailers required to have CO detectors as part of the life safety alarm system?  I know our Pod had one and the new trailer has a combined smoke and CO detector.  The problem with using un-vented propane heaters is that they don't get their O2 from outside to burn like the Suburban furnace installed in trailers. They use up the ambient O2 and, as that happens, the combustion becomes less efficient and more CO is produced.  That's why they have the automatic shut off when O2 reaches a certain level.  Again, if you leave a window open enough to let in fresh air it shouldn't be a problem.

If you have good battery capacity and a solar panel, assuming reasonable sunshine in the day, you should have enough electrons available to keep the it nice and warm inside all night, that is if you can stand the noise of the heater running.  We turn our heat off at night and use a down comforter to stay nice and warm in bed.  My job in the morning is to turn on the heat and start the coffee going.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:50pm
Purchased one of these years ago and have used it in 2 different RV's.  In the Pod (179) I simply tapped into the Pod's gas line under the stove a quick disconnect attached to a rubber gas line and the heater. When in use I plug the line into the quick disconnect under the stove (storage cabinet) and place the heater out in front of the sink on the floor. It's a catalytic heater so it is extremely efficient, uses no electricity, very quite, has three heat settings however is a bit spendy when compared to a traditional portable propane heater like the Buddy. When camping in Yellowstone last month with lows in teens and 20's it kept the Pod in the mid 50's on the lowest setting at night. I do crack the sofa window and bath vent and have never in either RV had a Co2 alarm.                                                  www.amazon.com/Olympian-Portable-Catalytic-Camco-57331/dp/B000BUV1RK
2017 179 1/2
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:12pm
Hot air rises. Once it gets warm under the bed it will convect into the room. It has to, there is nowhere else for the heat to go. It won’t continue to get hotter and hotter under the bed and the heat won’t disappear either. You really don’t need to blow the hot air directly into the room for it to get warm.

You don’t have to leave the window or vent open using the suburban furnace.

Any unvented propane heater (blue flame or catalytic) will be as efficient as any other because 100% of the heat produced stays in the heated space, along with all the combustion products. You do have to provide ventilation for them to be used safely so that will reduce their effective efficiency. The externally vented Suburban furnace is less efficient because hot combustion gasses get exhausted outside. Which is actually more efficient in practice is going to depend on how much ventilation you feel you need to provide for the portable heater.

There isn’t any electric usage with the catalytic type so that can be a significant advantage. They’re quiet too. If you have electricity where you camp by all means get a portable electric heater. It is 100% efficient, quiet, no combustion gases, and best of all you’re not using up your propane.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>