R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeater placement - Event Date: 13 Dec 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Heater placement
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:21pm
With our 179, I use a battery operated fan placed at the side of the opening opposite the heater to pull the hot air from under the bed and shoot it out into the larger cabin space. The side closer to the heater is left open for cold air return. This works quite well when we dry camp and are using the propane heater. If we have shore power, I use a small ceramic block heater. Either method gets the job done.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by SteveA

Purchased one of these years ago and have used it in 2 different RV's.  In the Pod (179) I simply tapped into the Pod's gas line under the stove a quick disconnect attached to a rubber gas line and the heater. When in use I plug the line into the quick disconnect under the stove (storage cabinet) and place the heater out in front of the sink on the floor. It's a catalytic heater so it is extremely efficient, uses no electricity, very quite, has three heat settings however is a bit spendy when compared to a traditional portable propane heater like the Buddy. When camping in Yellowstone last month with lows in teens and 20's it kept the Pod in the mid 50's on the lowest setting at night. I do crack the sofa window and bath vent and have never in either RV had a Co2 alarm.                                                  www.amazon.com/Olympian-Portable-Catalytic-Camco-57331/dp/B000BUV1RK

+1 to everything above.  We use the Wave 3 heater in our RPod and truck camper and are quite happy with it.  You can search for my posts and see how I installed propane lines with quick disconnects and shutoff valves.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:27am
I used a Mr Heater when I had the Pod. Same furnace under bed layout.  Window furthest from the bed cracked a bit, plus the bathroom vent slightly open. 

The Mr Heater only has two heat settings, low and high. The Mr Heater LOW setting was still a lot of heat, and the one pound bottles would only last about 3 hours on lowest heat setting. So it was somewhat of an annoyance, knowing it was expensive heat, and wasted heat through the vent. But I never let it get colder than 55°F  when sleeping in the Pod.

I had two 12 volt  Marine/RV batteries, and I could use the furnace if I wanted too for along weekend when cold out, but I actually hated the noise from the furnace directly under the bed, every time it cycles it would wake me. That's why I bought the Mr Heater. Never got around to making a propane connector from the 20 pound tank though, which was my plan for the Mr Heater. My new trailer has a furnace further away, multiple heat ducts, and is significantly quieter.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:32am
Many owners have built a deflector to move the heat out into the living space a little better.

Rpods are small spaces, the heater is a little bigger then a microwave, look around, see where else it could go.. nowhere convenient. They end up where they end up.. because that's where they fit.

The heater draws it's combustion air from outside the camper, AND exhausts the byproducts outside. CO is not a danger if everything is running right.

We recommend a small bit of cross ventilation in cold temps because of moisture build up and "sweating" that is common in all small spaces when there is a large temperature difference between inside and outside.
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:03am
Thanks for all the good info...my CO and smoke detectors work just fine. The heater does as well that’s why off-road I crank the heater up to 73 so I over heat the compartment whereby convection takes over and some of that warm air spills out into the living space. So bottom line leave the heater in place, maybe when dry camping try another electric heater but most importantly construct some kind of a metal smooth wall diverter.  Good call not to go with plastic...don’t need nothing melting on me.  Just trying to understand and customize my 189 to make it more comfortable eliminating the cold toes and other unforeseen problem areas.  This is such a great site with a wealth of information...thanks mucho.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by offgrid

You don’t have to leave the window or vent open using the suburban furnace.

That's true in so far as CO is concerned.  My original comment about cracking a window and the ceiling vent was in regard to humidity.  If you don't mind waking up with water running down your windows and wall, you're right.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:30am
Humidity? what humidity?  We don't have no humidity out here in NV.  Wink
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by lostagain

Humidity? what humidity?  We don't have no humidity out here in NV.  Wink

Well, maybe not, but two people can exhale and/or perspire a surprising amount of moisture overnight.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Buffalohunter

Thanks for all the good info...my CO and smoke detectors work just fine. The heater does as well that’s why off-road I crank the heater up to 73 so I over heat the compartment whereby convection takes over and some of that warm air spills out into the living space. So bottom line leave the heater in place, maybe when dry camping try another electric heater but most importantly construct some kind of a metal smooth wall diverter.  Good call not to go with plastic...don’t need nothing melting on me.  Just trying to understand and customize my 189 to make it more comfortable eliminating the cold toes and other unforeseen problem areas.  This is such a great site with a wealth of information...thanks mucho.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13022&KW=cake+pan&PID=125499&title=rpod-177-furnace-deflector#125499
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 2:13pm
We have dry humor in NV.  Big smile
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172