R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Space heater trips inverter breaker (R-Pod 195)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space heater trips inverter breaker (R-Pod 195)
    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 8:09am
+2. I also tapped the 12V supply to the stereo, it was quite simple to do. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:02pm
Hello all,
 With the nice weather we've had I'm starting to think spring and changes I want to make to our POD. Solar is all greek to me so reading everything on controllers, lithium batteries, two 6v vs one 12v lithium Im confused. Our situation is we have an older POD. I currently need a new battery and would like to upgrade the battery and add solar for extended stays so I have a few questions:
1. Using the original converter in the camper is there a problem upgrading to a life04 lithium battery. any problems charging with old technology converter?
2. Does one 12volt lithium  equal two 6volt batteries in series?
3. How large of lithium battery would be sufficient? 20Ah, 50Ah or 100Ah?
4. I'm interested in the portability and packing/storing of a suitcase solar array. Is 100watt solar panel large enough to maintain charge boon docking?
5. I camp in the forests of Pennsylvania, maryland and NewYork. Is solar a worthwhile investment or does  the shaded campsites make solar impractical? Is anyone from the same area using solar and what is your experience?
Thanks in advance for responding.

Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 4:32pm
1) The original converter is designed for lead-acid batteries, and the charge profile it uses is not suitable for lithium batteries of any type that I know of.
2) Depends on the size of each. You can go by amp-hours or watt-hours to compare.
3) a 100AH lithium is "roughly" equal to 200 AH lead-acid. This is a rule of thumb, not exact, but is close enough for guvmint work.
4) For many people a 100 watt solar panel is more than enough. If you use more than average electricity, you may want larger. It's probably a good place to start to see how it works for you.
5) Solar generally won't work in the shade. That is an over-simplification, but you would typically want to place your solar panels in direct sun if at all possible.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 4:55pm
I often camp in the WV mountains. Solar isn't going to do you much good in those areas unless you can count on getting it out of the shade and into direct sun. I suggest a small generator. Get a couple 6v batteries so you don't have to run it every day.  No real need to spend the money on a Li battery  for an older trailer if you have a generator to maintain battery charge.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Markie

1. Using the original converter in the camper is there a problem upgrading to a life04 lithium battery. any problems charging with old technology converter?
You could use the converter. The down side is that the charging profile is wrong. You will not fully charge the LiFePO4 battery. If yours is the WFCO 8955 unit, you can swap out the converter section with the WF-8950L2-MBA which is made for LiFePO4 batteries. That is what I did.
2. Does one 12volt lithium  equal two 6volt batteries in series?
It depends. The two 6V batteries I had were 215AH. If I limited the draw to no less than 50%, that was 107.5AH. I replaced the two 6V batteries with one 100AH battery. Since the LiFePO4 battery can be drawn down much further, it should give me almost as much usable power. This also is at a fraction of the weight.
3. How large of lithium battery would be sufficient? 20Ah, 50Ah or 100Ah?
Again, it depends on what your power needs are. 20AH would be quite inadequate. 50AH would be like replacing one 12V battery. 100AH would be roughly equivalent to the two 6V batteries in usable capacity. I consider 100AH a baseline amount.
4. I'm interested in the portability and packing/storing of a suitcase solar array. Is 100watt solar panel large enough to maintain charge boon docking?
I just ordered this one: Renogy Eclipse 100W 12V Folding Solar Panel. It should be adequate. I will be able to say more about it after I get it and have a chance to use it.
5. I camp in the forests of Pennsylvania, maryland and NewYork. Is solar a worthwhile investment or does  the shaded campsites make solar impractical?
Shade does not help. Having a portable one that can be moved to take advantage of sun is helpful, but if you are in deep shade, it won't help. Full sunlight is needed to be able to use the full capacity of any solar panel. Some will do better in partial sunlight or cloudy bright days, but full sun is best. That is why I got a portable unit that I can move. As I said, I will be able to speak more about it after the one I just ordered arrives and I gain experience with it.

If you want to see my LiFePO4 installation, I wrote it up in my mods (see link in signature).

[/QUOTE]
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Some will do better in partial sunlight or cloudy bright days

Not really. That is marketing hype.  If the photons aren't there you don't get the electrons, just basic quantum physics.  Don't pay more for a solar module because it has "better low light performance".  Put the solar module in full sun, even partial shade on a single cell will kill the output current because the cells are all in series.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:02pm
I'm not sure about that. Cloudy bright still has a good number of photons, just not as many as full sunlight. I have read enough reviews of solar panels from people who have stated that they do perform in non-direct sunlight situations, just not as well. It isn't a total binary situation where it either has full sunlight and works or it does not have full sunlight and does not work. If one can place the panel(s) in full sunlight, that is best. Sometimes, one has no choice as full, direct sunlight is not available. In that case, one takes what one can get. I agree though that one should not be swayed by marketing hype.

Also, watch out for some of the lower-priced panels. In the specifications, they state that they are made for a positive ground (or common positive) situation. The RPods are wired for negative ground (common negative). The Renogy one I just ordered is negative ground so it will work without issue.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:02pm
Well thank you all so much for responding. You all seem to have good input. The issue with the old converter was a concern. I had heard Lithium were different somehow and from life experience old technology isnt forward compatible. The price of a new converter along with the the 100Ah lithium doesnt make sense for my situation. It also sounds like solar wont work well enough for my situation unless I could find just the right campsite.  I do have a generator to recharge when campground rules permit so that will stay. I need a new battery anyway so I will replace it and to increase discharge time it looks like two 6v is the way to go. Thanks to all for your input, it really helped. 
Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:08pm
I am glad we were able to have this discussion. In our case, the weight savings and the ability to put a dual LP tank mount which will help with a planned 10,000+ mile trip meant that the LiFePO4 made sense for us. However, we did just fine also with dual 6V batteries and I expect you will also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:24pm
Everyone's situation is different.  I truly learned alot and I hope this discussion answered some questions of others considering upgrading. It certainly helped me. Thanks again. 
Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>