R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

6v vs 12v

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6v vs 12v
    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Jeepinator

Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Matt, changing over really depends on your usage. If your a occasional lot-docker, then a good sized 12v will be fine. If you're a occasional shore-power person (like I) then a 6v system comes into play.

Pro's are: longer, deeper aH. Ya, no matter what the 12v'ers say, a longevity, sustainable system off-grid is a 6v system.
Cons: Weight, weight, weight.. Did I mention weight??? 
The tongue frame on our rPods are not the greatest and this additional weight needs to be thought though. Seriously... what else you plan on the tongue? How are you packed and what is you tongue weight now?

I have a dual 6 system now and find I don't need as much as I have. 230ah is far beyond my needs.

I do suggest a Power audit and decide from there what you require before investing into any sort of upgrade. 

Just me, but I'm switching over to a 60ah lithium (lipo4). Very light weight and will give me 2.5 days of autonomy. Between my solar panel (130w) and my B to B charger, I really don't see running out of power. 

Think about how you camp, how you wish to camp and what do you really need to consume for power. Then decide upon direction.

The only mistake we really make... Is not going camping! 
Happy, safe travels! 

OD,

What did you purchase for the B 2 B charger?

I'm not sure which group, but other members speak well of it. I've yet to wire it (still very cold out there..).
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
s2anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote s2anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:16pm
Olddawgsrule,

New (to us) RPOD and it turns out that our battery (I assume original) needs to be replaced.  I've been looking at a 6v option but I'm concerned about the tongue weight given our TV is close to being maxed out.  Curious what adding the dual 6v did to yours?  Thinking about maybe locating them rear of the axle to mitigate (perhaps the storage compartment in back).  
2017 RPOD 180 Hood River
2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:33pm
I had the 6V option. Two 6V batteries weigh about 120 lbs. I now have a single LiFePO4 battery that weighs about 30 lbs. By changing, I was able to relocate the battery to an inside compartment since the Li batteries don't produce combustible hydrogen gas. That is the reason you can't relocate the lead-acid batteries to an inside compartment. You would be creating an explosion hazard.

Also, if something happened to where the charger started doing the bulk charge mode and the electrolyte was low or the battery/batteries had a bad cell, the excess current could heat the battery to the point of boiling. Then you get hydrochloric acid fumes which are very bad to breathe. I've experienced that when I was in a tracked vehicle wile I was in the Army. We could not stay in the vehicle. I don't recall if it was a bad voltage regulator or bad batteries, but it was really bad.

If you could make an isolated compartment with ventilation, then it might be possible.Still, you are better off having them on the tongue. Behind the axle can cause stability issues if you take too much weight off the tongue.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 8:56am
For those who are confused about choosing between 6 volt and 12 volt RV batteries for motorcycles and touring trailers, we offer these tips: Many 12-volt batteries on the market have an amperage of 50 Ah to 100 Ah. The average 6-volt battery on the market provides 225 amp hours, typically ranging from 160 Ah to 260 Ah. 6-volt battery systems have thicker and heavier plates that allow them to withstand the chemical changes inside the battery, so 6-volt batteries can be said to have a longer lifespan. But in terms of cost, 12-volt battery systems are inexpensive and available at most auto supply and battery stores.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:17am
A couple months ago I had to retire a nearly 11 year old 12v Interstate deep cycle battery.  Replaced it with a Trojan T-1275 12v golf cart battery.  It gives 150 Ah and weighs 85 lbs.  Am happy with the weight as I can now remove 3 truck rotors from the front stow area-giving my wife additional storage space.  And now will be able to keep the 11% (in my case 320#) tongue weight for reduced sway on the 177.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 1:26pm
That sounds like it weighs almost about as much as my diesel tractor battery. A real back strainer getting that 95lb thing up into it's tray.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by offgrid

That sounds like it weighs almost about as much as my diesel tractor battery. A real back strainer getting that 95lb thing up into it's tray.

Funny or not so funny thing is that the battery was almost $ 200 with tax and had no handles to pick it up but had 4 plastic tabs with slots strategically positioned.   So . . . got some 1/2" clothesline rope and tied 2 ropes in a criss cross position.  At least it can be picked up now, with some effort.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Mooree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mooree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 7:13am
Deciding between a 6-volt and a 12-volt RV battery is easy if you know what you want. Since the cycle of a battery depends on its capacity, we can say a 6-volt battery has a longer life than a 12-volt battery. On the other hand, two 6-volt devices with a 225 Ah rating will continue to operate your RV unit for 5 to 6 days before the recommended charge (225 Ah รท 20 Ah per day = 11.25 days; 11, 25 days x 50% = 5,625 ).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12