R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

6v vs 12v

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MattSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6v vs 12v
    Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 11:42am
Was wondering about converting to a 6v system with my R-177.  Would the Zamp solar system wiring be compatible to charge (2) 6v batteries instead of (2) 12v batteries?
2017 RP-177
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 12:11pm
Yes the 2 - 6 volt batteries have to be wired in series the - on one battery to the + on the other battery and the other - & + posts on the batteries to the Pod.  This will give you 12 volts and keep the battery amp hours the same for the system.  The way the 12 volt batteries were (or should have been) wired were in parallel giving you the same 12volt of each battery but doubling the amp hours of the batteries to the system amp hours.  The advantage of using 2 - 6 volt batteries is you can get golf cart batteries, which are much heaver (more lead in them) and therefore can give you more service of electricity.  They still should not be run down to or below 50% of fully charged level.

Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
MattSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 12:13pm
Thanks for the info JR
2017 RP-177
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 2:02pm
Matt, changing over really depends on your usage. If your a occasional lot-docker, then a good sized 12v will be fine. If you're a occasional shore-power person (like I) then a 6v system comes into play.

Pro's are: longer, deeper aH. Ya, no matter what the 12v'ers say, a longevity, sustainable system off-grid is a 6v system.
Cons: Weight, weight, weight.. Did I mention weight??? 
The tongue frame on our rPods are not the greatest and this additional weight needs to be thought though. Seriously... what else you plan on the tongue? How are you packed and what is you tongue weight now?

I have a dual 6 system now and find I don't need as much as I have. 230ah is far beyond my needs.

I do suggest a Power audit and decide from there what you require before investing into any sort of upgrade. 

Just me, but I'm switching over to a 60ah lithium (lipo4). Very light weight and will give me 2.5 days of autonomy. Between my solar panel (130w) and my B to B charger, I really don't see running out of power. 

Think about how you camp, how you wish to camp and what do you really need to consume for power. Then decide upon direction.

The only mistake we really make... Is not going camping! 
Happy, safe travels! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 11:36pm
As stated, the R-pods run on 12V, nominal.  Simplistically, A-Hrs comes from battery volume.  Two 6v batteries in series provides volume for A-Hrs and sums to 12V.  Cool.  Two 12V batteries in parallel could also provide the same A-Hrs, but apparently are unavailable in the correct size for the battery rack.  PbSO4 batteries charge more completely and fully when all of the cells are in series and all cells see the same current flow.  That's why 2-6v in series is better.  Two 12v in parallel is not fatal.  I use that in my home solar PV system.  I would not recommend more than 2 batteries in parallel due to the possibility of uneven discharge and charge rates.  
John
'16 R-Pod 180
MattSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:56am
Thanks Olddawg for the info
2017 RP-177
MattSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:58am
Thanks Colt for your response.  
2017 RP-177
ricardos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ricardos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 7:00am
Its interesting idea. I think yes. Its be compatible to charge. Maybe this article will be interesting for you https://websolarguide.com/who-manufactures-solar-cars/
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 6:52am
It you do wind up with 12V batteries in parallel, the charge/discharge variation between the two batteries can be partially mitigated by taking the positive output from one battery and the negative from the other. Not as good as keeping everything in series but it helps because it keeps the conductor series resistance the same for the two batteries. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jeepinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Matt, changing over really depends on your usage. If your a occasional lot-docker, then a good sized 12v will be fine. If you're a occasional shore-power person (like I) then a 6v system comes into play.

Pro's are: longer, deeper aH. Ya, no matter what the 12v'ers say, a longevity, sustainable system off-grid is a 6v system.
Cons: Weight, weight, weight.. Did I mention weight??? 
The tongue frame on our rPods are not the greatest and this additional weight needs to be thought though. Seriously... what else you plan on the tongue? How are you packed and what is you tongue weight now?

I have a dual 6 system now and find I don't need as much as I have. 230ah is far beyond my needs.

I do suggest a Power audit and decide from there what you require before investing into any sort of upgrade. 

Just me, but I'm switching over to a 60ah lithium (lipo4). Very light weight and will give me 2.5 days of autonomy. Between my solar panel (130w) and my B to B charger, I really don't see running out of power. 

Think about how you camp, how you wish to camp and what do you really need to consume for power. Then decide upon direction.

The only mistake we really make... Is not going camping! 
Happy, safe travels! 

OD,

What did you purchase for the B 2 B charger?
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>