R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurrion rear camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furrion rear camera
    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

I think wiring to the reverse lights will work out OK and did test the seven pin connector for the 12 volts to trailer and it is not switched has power all the time.

David,
You should recheck that 7-pin connector. I don't know what TV you have but most all newer ones switch power to pin 4 with the key switch. With the ignition off and the trailer disconnected there should be no voltage on pin 4. If there is you can run down the TV battery while camping if you leave the TT plugged in. If you find the line is not switched it may be miswired, especially if the connector was an add on. It's worth a fix if it's wrong.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

David,
You should recheck that 7-pin connector. I don't know what TV you have but most all newer ones switch power to pin 4 with the key switch. With the ignition off and the trailer disconnected there should be no voltage on pin 4. If there is you can run down the TV battery while camping if you leave the TT plugged in. If you find the line is not switched it may be miswired, especially if the connector was an add on. It's worth a fix if it's wrong.

Depends on the tow vehicle. The aftermarket kits for vehicles like my Highlander that come with a flat 4 connector supply 12V continuously from the battery via a 30A breaker. That is not miswiring, you would need to add an additional 12V contactor with a coil connected to the ignition in order to switch that line. It's unnecessary, just disconnecting from the TV while camping solves any discharge risk problem. Most everyone does that anyway. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:18pm
  I mounted the new Furrion camera to the back top of the fiberglass cap on our truck. I have not wired it yet but I have a question. I thought of connecting to the reverse lights  and also connecting to the interior dome light of the cap and adding a separate switch for the camera. My question is if I turn the switch on for the camera and the reverse lights are turned on when backing up will twelve volts coming from both sources at the same time hurt the camera. As I had said before I am not smart when it comes to electricity. Thank you if you can answer my question.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:29pm
   There is not a power source from the ignition switch at the back of our truck. It has the factory tow package and the seven pin connection always has power for trailer when connected. The truck has a safety feature if the head lights are left on or interior dome light is left on after a short time power will be turned off to those lights so they will not drain the battery. But the factory seven pin connection is not included in that safety feature.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 8:17am
David,
Two simultaneous sources of 12V will not harm the camera. The only problem is possibly draining the battery when you forget to turn off the added switch. The ideal solution would be to run a wire from the accessory side of the ignition switch. This point should be available somewhere under the hood. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 2:06pm
  I finally got around to connecting the rear camera on the back of our truck cap and I have a problem. The camera works connected to the interior dome light of the cap. But when I connect it to the reverse lights the camera will briefly come on and go off again. I checked the polarity and far as I can see the wires are correct. The camera has a blue light showing that it has power but it has no signal to the monitor. But has a continuous signal to the monitor when connected to the dome light. All I can think of is the reverse lights are causing some kind of interference with the signal. I am calling Furrion tomorrow and hopefully will get a answer to why there is no signal when camera is getting power from the reverse lights. Puzzles me! Confused  I just thought of this maybe it is not getting the proper voltage or amperage from the reverse lights. Smile That was it, I removed the reverse light from the rear tail light now the camera works with a signal to the monitor. So my guess is with the reverse light burning it was taking the power away from the voltage or amperage needed for the camera to send a signal.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 3:47pm
  I found some nice switches with connectors on amazon.com they were advertised for use with LED light strips. They work great for my purpose now I have option of rear camera being on all the time or just when I am in reverse. As was mentioned by Charlie I will need to remember not to leave the camera on when truck is not being used so I don't drain the battery. The camera draws less than a half amp so if I did forget to turn it off it would take awhile for the battery to drain and being the truck is used almost every day.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:49am
   I have a question for a electrical engineer what does it mean by a electrical current being intermittent? I connected our Furrion camera to the reverse lights and the camera has a blue light that shows the camera is getting electricity but on the receiving monitor the picture goes on and off. I then connected the camera to the tail lights and the same thing the picture goes on and off but when I connect the camera to the interior dome light of the fiberglass cap on back of truck the picture is good no problem. I called Furrion and was told the electricity to the reverse lights is intermittent and that the camera was not designed to work from the reverse lights. And was told it was designed to work from the running lights. What am I not understanding? Is the electrical current transmitted in a different way to the reverse lights and tail lights?  Confused
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:23am
By intermittent the Furrion people just mean that the backup lights are normally only on for a short period while you have the shift selector in reverse,  while the running lights stay on all the time if you have your running lights on. There isn't anything weird about how current is sent to your backup lights, unless you have a bad backup light switch. If the backup lights on your TV are on steadily when you are in reverse then that isn't the problem. 

If you still have issues staying connected when powered via the parking lights then I'd suspect a communications problem between the display and the camera. I believe that it is bluetooth which has a limited range so the distance between the camera and display might be the problem. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:20am
   offgrid I understand what you are saying but the reverse lights or the tail lights remain on and the little blue light on the camera remains lit but the picture on the monitor turns on and off. But changing the electrical power to the camera from the dome light the picture on the monitor remains constant. The only thing that's changing is the source of electricity, the camera and the monitor both remain in the same location. I will call Furrion tomorrow there is something I am not understanding and when the tech at Furrion told me the other day the power was intermittent he may not of understood. Eventually I will get it figured out may end up doing what CharlieM said and that is to run a wire from ignition accessory switch back to the camera. 
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>