Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Newbies
    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 2:44pm
My wife and I are recent R-Pod owners and can't wait for weather thats a bit warmer here in western Colorado.
Ken Neubecker
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:48pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod. What model? We have a 2016 179 to which I have made a number of modifications. One of the great things about the RPod is that there are many things you can do to make it uniquely yours.

Colorado is one state we have not yet visited. Hopefully, we will remedy that this year.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 6:02am
Congratulations!  If and when any problems arise this is your 'go to' destination as well as the facebook side if you are on that social media.

What part of Colorado are you from?  My niece has lived in Cotopaxi close to 10 years, a nephew in Colorado Springs and our favorite national park is RMNP which is our destination every other year - Moraine Campground is the place to camp.  Last September we were on a 30 day excursion to CO and UT, many great memories made and are sure you will have similar experiences with your r-pod. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 1:57pm
We have a 190.  We love it and have already done many modifications to it.  

I doubled the size of the over sink cabinet, replaced that crazy table, re-worked the under sink storage, converted the closet to a multi shelf pantry and installed a shelf over the bed for linen baskets which holds our clothes.  We also installed a foldable clothes hanger  in case we need it.  (Havent yet).  Installed an 8'X6"  shelf at the top of the push out for our smaller items in the kitchen and installed a towel shelf above the toilet.

I installed a double battery box on the tongue along with duel propane tanks.

This trailer is probably the most versatile, adaptable trailer we have ever owned.
Swampfox
LongRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Woodmiester

I installed a double battery box on the tongue along with duel propane tanks.

Where did you buy the materials for dual propane tanks?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 8:15am
Just a word of warning to anyone considering installing dual batteries and/or propane tanks. This will greatly increase your tongue weight which will already almost certainly be significantly higher than the unrealistic number FR provides, so get an actual tongue weight first and be sure your tow vehicle can handle the increased load. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:57pm
Not sure.  I ordered them on the internet.  Will take a look and let you know.  

As far as the tongue weight goes, the only thing to consider here, I believe,  is the tow vehicle capabilities.  The A frame of the trailer is the same as many heavier trailers.
Swampfox
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Woodmiester

Not sure.  I ordered them on the internet.  Will take a look and let you know.  
As far as the tongue weight goes, the only thing to consider here, I believe,  is the tow vehicle capabilities.  The A frame of the trailer is the same as many heavier trailers.

I can’t answer for other trailers but I did the structural loading calculation for my 179 with dual batteries, single propane, wdh tensioned, and a full fresh water tank, all of which add downforce on the a frame and longitudinal rails in the area just aft of the a frame. The loads were quite close to the yield limit of the 2x4 box tubing, only about a 2x safety factor to handle the inevitable bump loads. I consider that to be marginal, and since others have reported bent frames I’d be cautious adding a lot of additional load in that area, especially if you run a wdh, or have a forward mounted water tank that you keep full. It’s a robust looking tube but it’s only 1/10 inch thick so it’s not as strong as it might first appear.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 1:25pm
Not sure I would try traveling with 280 lbs of water along with duel batteries and dual gas bottles!
Swampfox
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:34pm
I'm generally boondocking for a week or more at a time so the 250lbs in the fresh water tank, and the dual batteries are a must have. Dual propane tanks are not, one lasts a long time, so I only carry one. If it does run low, I take it with me and swap it out when I go sightseeing or go into town in for supplies or to use a laundromat. I don't put anything heavy in the 179's forward storage compartment either. Everybody has a different use case, so its good to actually weigh your rig and each axle to be sure you're not overloading things.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>