R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod moved in high winds...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TacoTuesday View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod moved in high winds...
    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 5:07pm
Now that seems like the perfect solution! Thank you 😊 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:55pm
You might want to check out the BAL Single Axle Tire Chock. Since it locks onto the tire, it can't blow away. I have one and it works great. The tire can't easily roll when this is locked into place although with enough force, even it can be moved some. One for each side would be a lot stronger than using the cheap plastic chocks that don't grip worth beans.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:48pm
Yes, I am on a paved concrete pad, but there is dirt surrounding it.  I was thinking I could put the anchors out in the dirt area.  And yes, I also had the wheels chocked front and back, but the chocks were blown away!
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:59am
I was thinking about this and a question came to mind. 1st, I had assumed you were on a nice level paved surface. I also assumed that you place chock blocks on BOTH sides of the tires. I use 4 chock blocks when I set up, 1 behind, and 1 infront of both tires. IF you don't chock both sides, I would think that would be a big help. As far as being unlevel, I do the best I can, but being unlevel would make the situation worse. Just a few thoughts I felt might help.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 11:45am
Great ideas! I going to look for those mobile home anchors at the local hardware store...Thanks
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:58am
We have a large wedding tent (60' x 120') at the golf course that has been destroyed a couple times by winds clocked at 60 - 70 mph winds.  Our only way to keep the 4' stakes from popping out of the ground was to pour 2' x 2' concrete pads under ground and then attack our 4" nylon ratchet straps to the hooks on top of the concrete pads.  Quite extreme but not much else we could do under the circumstances.  On top of a hill not far off Lake Michigan and next to Torch Lake.  Since having this set up only minor damage incurred under similar circumstances.  Hope we never get winds like you all are talking about, we are quite fortunate here.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:37am
Buy some mobile home anchors(Lowes sells them):

They screw into the ground, put one on each corner then use ratchet straps to attach to the frame of the 'pod.  If you even change the location of the pod you can un-screw and re-use. 
2016 R-Pod 176T
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 4:54pm
We routinely get 40-60 MPH winds during winter storms. We've occasionally gotten 90 MPH winds, and once (that we know of) over 110 MPH. We have our R-pod parked at the north end of the house, and it is partially blocked from the predominantly southerly winds we get during winter storms here. It's never moved, and I attribute that to the fact that the house is providing some protection.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:12pm
I left my 179 on Hatteras island (where I lived till last month) once when we evacuated for a hurricane. Winds exceeded 100 mph in that (relatively mild) category 2 storm. The trailer moved about 10 feet winding up against a curb and the chocks were gone when we got back. After that I've taken the trailer with me during evacuations. Tongue

We get 60 mph winds frequently and I've never seen any movement then (60 mph wind pressures are only 36% of 100 mph ones, the pressure goes with the square of the wind speed) so I'm a little surprised that the trailer would move under only 60 mph. In places like ridge tops and escarpments you do get speed up and the wind pressure can be 2 or 3 x what it is on open flat ground.  

Facing into the wind only works if its always from the same direction, things like hurricanes, tornadoes, and t-storms are not like that, but it would help for the Santa Anas. Keeping more weight in the trailer would help too. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:06pm
Oh wow! I guess I was lucky to have as little damage as I did then... I guess I did things right, but Mother Nature had other ideas... I may have to move the spot where I park my little Rpod.  The wind hit it flat on the right side... I used to have a much larger and heavier rig parked there.  I will have to think about moving it to face into the wind during Santa Ana winds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>