R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2020 R-Pod 195 Review (after 6 months)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Yedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 R-Pod 195 Review (after 6 months)
    Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 12:41pm
Here's hopefully a quick 6 month review of owning a 2020 R-Pod 195 that we purchased in July of 2019.  This is the 195 that does not have the front window, but has a nice outdoor table.

I would have to say it's been a love-hate relationship.  We love the trailer and have camped in it several times in several state parks here in Arkansas.  The floor plan is what we needed...walk around bed (my feet and head touch the walls in the side-to-side beds)...and no wet bath.

However, as typical (from what I'm reading here and elsewhere), we have had several issues and the trailer has been at the dealership for repairs for almost 3 months (3 different times) out of our 6 month of ownership.

Here are the issues we have encountered:
1.  Air Conditioner didn't work correctly on our first trip.  There is now a recall where they installed the wrong shroud.
2.  The one bolt and nut that holds the sewer pipe broke going down the interstate so we lost the cap and shredded the end of the pipe.  Fortunately, someone flagged us to stop before it got too bad and we didn't experience any problems where the pipe is attached to the black tank.
3.  The two "pods" that make up the u-shaped dinette have both come up out of the floor.  Only two screws hold each to the floor and are only screwed in to the floor only a short distance.  One just came up as I was trying to remove the cushion that Velcros to the "pod".  Instead of just lifting the cushion...up pulled the whole thing.  The other one, unfortunately, came up as I was pulling in the slide.  So, the slide drug the "pod" and it's pointy screws about foot over the camper flooring.  This of course scratched and ripped the flooring.  Now that the flooring is repaired, I have decided NOT to screw the "pods" back into the floor and we will either put some felt on the bottom of them to slide them around or just put them in the house and never use them again.  Either way, I will never bring the slide in with them anywhere around.  Of course, this defeats the purpose of extra dining space or to convert it to a bed.  That's okay for us right now.
4.  The table for the u-shaped dinette is pretty useless....or at least ours is.  First of all and again, the screws that hold the foldable legs on our table had come completely out of the bottom of the table.  This was a "punch list" item and was repaired, but it's just a matter of time before it happens again.  So, we actually use a totally different table and store the one that came with the camper.  Again, not helpful if you need to make the dinette into a bed.
5.  Although we did not experience this issue, there is also a recall on the mounting of the medicine cabinet.
6.  Finally, we had about 10 other different things on our initial "punch list" that have been addressed that to me just indicated that quality control could be a little better at the factory.  My belief is that they want to build them and get them out the door and the cost for the dealer to do "these little things" is cheaper.

Before we bought our new 195, I had read and saw various YouTube videos indicating that when you buy a new camper to expect to have it in for repairs during that first year...and that has definitely been our case.  I'm just hoping we have addressed all of those during this first 6 months.  I told the service guy at our dealer yesterday that "I like you guys, but I hope I don't see you for awhile."  So, at this point, all our issues have been addressed and repaired.

So, do we have any regrets...not really.  There have been times that I have hated it when things didn't work right or things got tore up.  But, we really love the size and floor plan options (again no wet bath, walk around bed, and kitchen/large pantry) and can't wait for it to warm up here in Arkansas to begin another year of camping here in the "Natural State".

This post was to share our experience to possibly prepare others thinking about buying a 195...and we would also like to hear others experiences as well.  Thanks for your time.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:37pm
They all do that.

Cool
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:35am
I know what I bought into and knew the basic's I'd have to deal with. And, not all trailers experience what we go through. Their are higher quality units out there. Dollar for dollar, the Rpod is a great entry level trailer. IMHO.

What I didn't fully understand (know) is how lightly built the frame is and axle rating. Two rather key items you'd think.. Get on the scales and check your trailer weight. Ensure you have a buffer. Watch your tongue weight (again, weigh it). 

* FR/Lippert fix my fractured frame. No, I was not over-weight nor speeding.
* I immediately checked my wheel bearings when I 1st brought it home. Loose and under greased.
* Now working with FR/Lippert for a bent tongue. They didn't consider it part of the frame repair for some reason..
* Cabinet over the sink fell down due to only 2 out of the 12 screws holding.. The wire to the light actually held it from falling completely out.

This is a relatively inexpensive trailer and there are items to be addressed.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 12:23pm
I bought my 195 in june. I used it 8 or 9 trips last summer. My biggest complaint was the height. the distance from the hitch to the axle is so long, that it needs to be higher. Due to the frame not being high enough, they did a bad job installing my black tank pipe, and it sat at 4 1/2 inches from the ground. I am aware of the black tank pipe hanger breaking, it's a long known problem that forest river refuses to fix, and I fixed it on day 1 after buying it. For about 7 - 8 dollars, I made a hanger that won't break in a nuclear attack. I have sent it in and gotten the tube re-installed and the whole thing lifted, plus a few super minor warranty fixes, ALL covered by forest river. I now have about 11 inches between the ground, and black pipe.  I can only say good things about it so far. I do have the 2 recall letters you mentioned, the a/c shroud, and med cabinet, and i'll get those looked at in spring. But I foresee no issue. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but hopefully you are happier than ever in the future.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:49pm
my medicine cabinet came off during travel and damaged the bath door also....all fixed under warranty as the medicine cabinet recall or TSB came out after my incident

2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
crankster78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crankster78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 8:37pm
Greetings: 
I attended a RV show on Friday and did a walk though of a 195 and a 196.  I liked the looks and layout.  the added room is nice over my R179.  I had them write up a deal using my 179 as a trade in.  NO WAY am I going to do that deal.  I'll have my 179 paid for in 2 years.  I will be turning 80 this year.  I will take it 1 year at a time.  I own a family lake cottage and take it out there and use it for a bedroom.  I hope to get some trips in this summer.

Crankster78  2015 R 179  F-150
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 9:36am
I had a 2016 179 and sold it to a private party for 12,000.  I had already bought my 196 and paid 22,000 for it.  I'm in Yuma, AZ on my third outing with it and love it.  I tow with a 2016 Dodge Durango with the V6.  It tows better than the 179 did.
The Pirate's Pod
BMJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BMJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:54pm
We’ve had our 195 for 2 years… absolutely love it, Great floor design for us and easy to tow…. Had a couple bumps but the dealership was great… highly recommend the 195… some folks have told us that the single axle is a problem, we’ve put the Goodyear Endurance on and TPMS … rarely drive over 60 so 🤞we will be ok. Any mod insights from other 195 owners appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply