R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFresh water tank leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh water tank leaking
    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
While camping this past weekend I noticed water dripping from the fresh water tank. Upon inspection it looks like there is a crack around the drain plug where it meets the bottom of the tank (see pic). From the pic it also looks like there is a failure in the silicon (or other caulking material) that binds the flange of the plug to the tank. But I’m not sure about this, maybe the crack is a brittle failure of the tank plastic.

Anyone knows what’s going on here? I’m contemplating slapping some silicon caulk on there to see if it holds.

Also, I was hooked up to city water at the time and the tank was empty prior. I thought city water supply bypassed the holding tank? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks

Pres

Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:49am
It looks like something struck the drain stem, notice the fractures on each side sweep in the same direction? Silicone won't stick to it, I know there is adhesive for that plastic, but I don't know which one works. Another option is to plastic weld it, but again some expertise is needed.
2016 R-Pod 176T
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 11:23am
The water back-filling when hooked to city water would most likely be a check valve problem. The location of that varies a bit depending on the R-pod model.

And Motor7 is correct, silicone would not stick very well to that plastic. I think (but am not 100% certain) that it's some kind of polyurethane plastic. Polyurethane is notorious (and or famous) for being impossible to glue. I would think your best option is to find someone that has the equipment and expertise to try to plastic weld it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 12:51pm
That is a friction welded piece. Silicone won't work. Plastic welding will. I also am of the mind it struck something.

The back filling is a bad or most probably misaligned check valve flap in the front of the water pump. Turn off the city water, open a tap, then turn on the pump. That should reseat the flap.
Prestone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 1:06pm
Ok so it unanimous, don’t use silicon and look for someone with plastic welding experience. Any recommendation for the Houston area? No one suggested a new tank... too expensive?

I’ll try the remedy suggested for the valve reset this weekend.

Thank all
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 2:45pm
There are a bunch of links all over the web about how to repair a polyurethane water tank. I just looked at this one, and it looked like it might actually work:

This one might be a better bet that could actually work in your situation. A DIY poly welding kit:

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

There are a bunch of links all over the web about how to repair a polyurethane water tank. I just looked at this one, and it looked like it might actually work:

This one might be a better bet that could actually work in your situation. A DIY poly welding kit:

Both these look good to me and can't see why either wouldn't work. Except for where the crack actually is..
You issue is: You're working upside down.. really tough to weld (braze)... I think I'd try the fiberglass style. If you have never brazed before, I will say again, try the fiberglass system first, you can get into a lot of trouble fast if you don't know how to braze.

Looks like you caught the 1 in 1,000 pebbles flying around under there right on the drain plug.. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 4:31pm
The fresh water tank is polyethylene. Not much adheres to it. Flame treatment improves adhesion. Clean and dry the area first, alcohol wipe, then flame treat it, then apply the adhesive. I have had reasonable success on PE with West Systems gflex epoxy which if more flexible than regular expoxies.

Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Prestone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 6:34pm
Ok well I have some options, I’ll have to decide which one fits my skill set best . Thanks for the research and advise everybody. Now I just have to find the time.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 5:32pm
We had a similar leak. JB Weld makes a 2 part glue system specifically for polyethelene. We bought a kit and it worked. It was instant and easy. Make sure the tank is empty and the area dried and cleaned as noted above. We found the JB Weld kit at Home Depot.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>