Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaine and Northward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maine and Northward
    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:16pm
I have a comment in SD for Memorial Weekend, yet once back we will start our serious travels through Maine and into New Brunswick.

We love the shoreline so doing the Maine Spur is foremost. New Brunswick brings in The Bay of Fundy and some of the highest tide changes in the world! As brings in colder water and great seafood. 

Being a New England native I'm almost embrassed to say I have never been to Acardia National. This will be remedied. More though is to get to Quoddy Point and touch/stand on the eastern most point of the USA. If you have never seen the Bay of Fundy and what it brings to the experience, you must. I need to dive in even deeper and explore in depth. 

I will post up as we travel the region, yet if you have spots that should not be missed, please do mention!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
ZuBrew View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:32pm
How long are you planning for your trip? We were thinking of a similar trip but in 2021. I'll definitely be following your trip. Thanks for posting this.
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 5:54am
Seawall campground is one of our favorite places. And Thurston’s lobster pound nearby is not to be missed. (Opens Memorial Day).
GMan
Lil' Bumpy - RPod 180
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:45am
Originally posted by ZuBrew

How long are you planning for your trip? We were thinking of a similar trip but in 2021. I'll definitely be following your trip. Thanks for posting this.

I'll be running my Gaia GPS and tracking. Be happy to share it! Our intent is to explore in depth as we travel up the coastline. So we may only make it half way up Maine in the first 2 weeks..

The goal is as little highway as possible and stick to the byways! Other could always run the highway and get to the particular spot in mind, your choice. How long, probably a full month of traveling north as I see it now (and hopefully making it to the Bay of Fundy). Don't really know what we will find. 

Stay tuned! I will post up as we go. Estimated start, second week of June (we have a commitment in SD for Memorial Weekend).
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:47am
I'm from the mid-coast area (Bath) and, though I live most of the year in Florida, I'll be home (with my pod) by mid June.  Please touch base so we can say "hi." If I can offer an hospitality while you're there please let me know.

Julie
Julie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

I'm from the mid-coast area (Bath) and, though I live most of the year in Florida, I'll be home (with my pod) by mid June.  Please touch base so we can say "hi." If I can offer an hospitality while you're there please let me know.

Julie

Timing would be just about right! And thank you for the offer! Now you may just be the person to not only help me on my stops or ventures through, but all convince others that there's more to Maine along the shoreline. Read through and please add where you see fit! Would love it if you do so!

As much as I despise Kittery (shopper paradise if so inclined) I have to go through and head up 1A, the shoreline road. What I will say is it just gets better as you travel further north. Rt 103 out of Kittery then by York connect to 1A.

First 'major' stop is of course Nubble Lighthouse. No trip through Maine should be without the stop. It's the one on all the postcards folks!  

Cape Neddick is where the Lighthouse is just north of York center and through the York Cliffs to Ogunquit. Now you're back on Rt 1 and running up through Wells and turning onto Rt 9 heading into Kennebunkport. There are many beaches and Preserves through this stretch and find it hard to believe you'd get much further with any exploring involved. And that's only the first 100 miles out of Kittery, ME.
I see ether Biddeford (a Walmart) or Scarbough (Cabela's) Lot-dock for the night.  

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 2:55pm
Nice...I stay on the highway until I'm north of Portland. Too many tourists in Kittery.  :)  The further north you get the more real Maine you get. Bath is a really nice old time blue collar working town.  We build ships and have done so for centuries.  The maritime museum in Bath on the Kennebec is not to be missed. The beaches south on 209 are awesome.  Small Point is pretty desolate and Popham is popular with two cool old forts. A driveway overnight in Bath might be possible (PM me later). North on route 1 over the bridge and to the left is a winding road through Arrowsic and on the Five Islands where the road ends at a working dock where you can buy lobster rolls and enjoy the view (you can also bring your own wine).  Back up to route 1 north there are some gorgeous little towns that are just touristy enough (Wiscassett, Boothbay Harbor, Rockland, and Camden)....
Julie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

Nice...I stay on the highway until I'm north of Portland. Too many tourists in Kittery.  :)  The further north you get the more real Maine you get. Bath is a really nice old time blue collar working town.  We build ships and have done so for centuries.  The maritime museum in Bath on the Kennebec is not to be missed. The beaches south on 209 are awesome.  Small Point is pretty desolate and Popham is popular with two cool old forts. A driveway overnight in Bath might be possible (PM me later). North on route 1 over the bridge and to the left is a winding road through Arrowsic and on the Five Islands where the road ends at a working dock where you can buy lobster rolls and enjoy the view (you can also bring your own wine).  Back up to route 1 north there are some gorgeous little towns that are just touristy enough (Wiscassett, Boothbay Harbor, Rockland, and Camden)....

Oh ya, I'm ready to go! Love the local input!!!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:18pm
Trust me though, you don;t want to be there now.
Julie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:25am
Question was asked "How many days?"  Looks like I'll be at least 6 days traveling Kittery to Lubec Maine. Here's a couple screen shots of what I see. I've marked out my stays (or possibles) and as usual... I strive for free stays and no highways! 

From what I see I can get from home to Lubec Maine without touching a Interstate or major highway. All by-ways or backroads! Most of the spots I will stay at have no services.. boondocking! Walmarts to trailheads to town parks to fishing dock and waysides. Also hoping to scout out a couple I found as possibles..

Had to do it in two parts..

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>