R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat "stuff" do you have in your R-Pod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What "stuff" do you have in your R-Pod?
    Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by rshapiro126

I am new to RV'ing & just picked up my new 177.  I am trying to both figure out everything from trailering to how to set up.  My dealer, Richmond RV Center in Richmond, MN did a great job with a 90 min. walk through & answered all my dumb questions...I'll admit I'm compulsive.  What I need help with is a list (if anyone has one) of renewable & non-renewable stuff that you need to buy that is not included with the trailer such as food, cooking supplies, cleaning supplies but also other things like does anyone feel the need to carry a currency analyzer or does the RV's electrical safety system prevent damage or injury from poorly wired campgrounds?  Thanks in advance.

Bob
We bought a surge protector from our dealer, made especially for campers.  It plugs into the electric source, and our power cord plugs into the surge protector. 
Beth and Joe
2011 Prime Time Tracer 195M
2010 Toyota Tacoma
PaddyMorris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:33pm
Other than the usual camping necessities, I just put in one of those shower poles with the three shelves I saw on here. Next will be a full length over the door mirror [weighs maybe 5 lbs] for outside the bathroom door and an over the door towel rack for inside the bathroom door.  Will probably have to stick on some velcro to the back of the mirror to help in supporting it's weight and so it doesn't move around as we travel. 
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 5:22pm
Coleman stove, in case you want to cook outside.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 11:50pm
I always have a hanging DAMP RID, Hang by the fridge  or in the bath (when moving in case it falls with a full bag of water).  It's amazing how quickly it fills up.  Also have a box of fabric softener sheets, which I scatter around for keep Podterfly smelling nice while not in use, and it discourages creepy crawlers. 

LeeClap

Also there's emergency food, (tuna, soup, water, coffee. etc),  I do live in hurricane country so, if I have to leave it's hitch up, throw in some extra clothes, get the kid and dogs. We have several meals even is we get stuck in traffic or till we get to safety.    Plan is to be on the road as soon as it looks bad.  Podterfly is high profile vehicle I won't wait for the winds to kick in.  
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 9:08am
I sure like to hear there are still people who board up the house and leave! When I grew up in Florida, Dad boared up, and we had some blows, were not near the water in Pensacola, so did not leave. I remember lots of rain, noise, wind,but we did not leave. I don't know if he ever considered it. But what a great idea , another way to use the Pod. I know I am using mine this coming week as a place to lay my head while doing the day shift with a friend having heart surgery. Sure beats driving 90 mile round trip each day.

I am going to look into Damp Rid. Living in the damp South and the mountains it COULD get musty.
Now that I have a hook up for it on the house , I could keep some ac in it and maybe put a small fan for circulation of air that would help. at least in the worse part of the year (which seems to be longer and longer now days). I had bought one of the deodrizers  that has "linen" scent, guess that masks the smell, but I like to hear that the crawlies might shun the place if you put out fabric sheets. I like to run the bathroom vent fan with the curtain loose(have to put an edge in door and close it so that it does not suck up agains't wall)so that after using shower all can get dried out. Seems to work.
I know that if you miss a spot in the frig, it becomes a spot of mold!. I leave the door open and prop the freezer open with the little ice tray when not in use. BUT leave that little spot and WOW. Everything has to make a living. 
Sounds as if the Damp Rid is like a house dehumidizer. Last house we had we kept them going all the time and sure can collect water. This house we built one in, whole house dehumidizer.

I keep some canned goods, spices, dry goods ready to go. Have not wintered over with it in the yard, so need to think on the canned goods (if they might freeze). Dry stuff probably ok. Just dislike having to drag it in and out each time, lazy.

I am thinking on trying the little crockpot on this stay. Having used it in the motorhomes when we were tooling down the road was great. Smelled good and supper ready when set up. But this time I am looking at LEAVING it to cook while I am gone to the hospital in the day. I guess I keep thinking in the back of my mind that things need to have some attention and not just left. Kind of concerns me. Anybody have some thoughts on this, would appreciate hearing them. I know at home I have not problem leaving the crockpot all day and being gone.

Have added small things, like signs, hangers, things in shower.  I like pretty table covers for the outside and little lamp, flowers. But will not be doing this time since I will not be there in case it rains (and I still do not have an awning for some protection). String my cute little lights around inside, makes it look festive. Did put a TV in but have only turned it on to see if the cable worked so have not had time to use it. Have a Kindle, so don't look at a lot of TV. New season, may.

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 1:09pm
We use a crock pot all the time, start it up, go out all day, come home and eat.  We usually leave it outside under cover so it doesn't completely smell up the 'pod, and to keep the humidity out of the 'pod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 4:22pm

There are places , if you left it outside, you would come back to bear with dinner all over!

The smell alone would lead the critter to your Pod door.
While I don't mind the smell at all, humidity, I had not thought of.
I will have to give THAT one a thought.

But I can see some contented bears with burned lips!Star

But a great idea if I am going to be around to keep an eye on it.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
blissful View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 7:29pm
The posted list of items looks pretty good.  I purchased a small stick-on poster board on the left wall of entrance....comes w/ a pen and I jot down anything needed along the way or on my next trip.

Senior brainfreezer, Blissful
Caverkim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by blissful

The posted list of items looks pretty good.  I purchased a small stick-on poster board on the left wall of entrance....comes w/ a pen and I jot down anything needed along the way or on my next trip.

Senior brainfreezer, Blissful

I did the same thing!  It comes in handy for me for trips to store while camping, and for items I run out of to stock up on after we get home. 
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 10:28pm
We also put in a hatchet or axe, newspaper,and Georgia fat wood. We have a set of fire tools that has been downgraded for camping, and a water bucket for the fire. If a fire isn' t allowed we have a little round portable charcoal grill so we can still have s'mores!
We learned last weekend, at a campsite where the nearest water as three sites away, that a 100ft hose would have been handy to fill the tank. We do carry a collapsible 5 gallon water jug and a funnel to fill it if needed. I set up two plastic boxes - one for black stuff- gloves, hub for the outlet, chemicals,etc; one for water - the jug and funnel, a flexible hose end to assist filling, and the 25 ft filling hose. These fit in the street side opening under the bed of the 171.
We used DampRid this spring to clear the mustiness from the winter. It took a couple of weeks but the Pod ended up smelling like new again.
As a handy guy I always carry a tool box with an assortment of hand tools, the WD-40, a can of spray white grease (for the stabilizers screws that always seem to get sticky), and that ever important Robertson #2 bit in my portable drill.

It seems like a lot of stuff, but the truck carries a lot too.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>