R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat "stuff" do you have in your R-Pod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What "stuff" do you have in your R-Pod?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 8:22am
I was kind of suprised that I did not have to use my DampRid. It does get the closed up smell that RVS get, some make my eyes water, think it Might be the  formaldegyde in some of the materials.
I keep dryer sheets laying out all over the place, lavender ones, to discourage critters and that smell might mask some of the musty smell, not sure. I keep the large "linen sented" disks to deodrize when traveling. The hot sunny days have the Pod open,,vent open,etc. all day.  There is an odor under the cabinets, maybe must, that my wooden cutting board absorbed, took it out and sunned it for several weeks, has gone away now, BUT that area may need to be attacked by the DampRid.

At Elkmont, for instanceNational Park and dry camping, one is not allowed to hook up a hose and take on water. However one can tote water and do a fill. If this were so, everyone one would be lining up to take on water! I even found out for the first time last year that one can not hang a Coleman water bag in the sun to get warm water because they do not want you using it as a shower of any kind. Something about the ground water.

My husband is a tool man, I have been told, for a womanConfused I have the most organized tool box, with everything that is needed. I DO inform them that this is his doing, but so far I have kept it organized.
With the exception of the Robertson driver, which is now in it. But a manual one. I guess ONE more tool can be added, the power drill, but if I don't have power the manual one has to suffice.

At this point I have a very well equipped Pod AND it is not going anywhereStar 

I have used, for my running list on the wall, some stickon chalkboard, outside the bathroom door. The area inside the door has little notecard prints of vintage Rv's, mattboard framed to keep them liteweight, and stuck up with the blue "playdough" looking stuff that comes right off, no marking the wall. Have NOT found something that would keep the little sign boards on the wall. Have tried all the usual stick on hooks,etc. Do not want to make holes in the wall.  Early on I ordered a wall mural of an open window and put it over the table on the blank wall (171). Have put on wallpaper boarder in the galley area and hooks for various things. The normal "nesting" things.

I don't have a micro, but in that spot I put a toaster oven, works great.
Did not have TV put in, had a small one that is in area above the sink.

Just got my awning from Bear Creek, will have to use it when I go camping, do not have room out of the poison ivy to put it on and test it. will be taking my usual screen house anyway. Much like the dome, except it is one of those "let go and step back because I will bonk you in the face" kind of things.
Put someplace in the shade and with my little fan, a cold drink and a "slingbed" for the dog and my Kindle and I am set for hours. Hope to get to THAT point in July. I KNOW HOW to be LAZY, BUt just have to GET there to do soLOL

Also, I got the decal ESCAPE POD for the back and the little flying saucer. Was pretty easy to put on.
Memory foam pad, the little shower caddy with shelves recommended by another forum member. This is GREAT site to get pointers and with tried out and true ideas.
AND able to ask my dumb questions and not thought to be so dumb after allTongue

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

Have NOT found something that would keep the little sign boards on the wall.

Go and find some Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape.  It has incredible, long-lasting hold and won't ruin your walls.  It can be removed without too much fuss (but, be careful - its not 3M command-hook stuff).  I highly recommend it.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 1:42pm
I like the command strips with the velcro. I was able to hang my clock which has a very narrow back edge and can now take it down easily to replace the battery. I also used it on a small picture which also did not have more than a small ridge to place any kind of hanger. They are very secure. I just cut the strip lengthwise to make them narrower.

Something else I have found to be multi-purpose is a square dishpan. I have a dish drainer which fits perfectly in it for normal dish drying in the pod.  I can use the dishpan outside on the picnic table for washing up outside. Rinse out clothing or swim suits in it. Use it when dry for carrying food and dishes, etc outside. Pack things from the counter into it when we are moving. For something so simple that I did not even think much about it when I put it in the pod, it is now one of the things I would not want to be without.
Another useful item is clothespins. Besides the obvious, they hold my paper towels from unravelling and  clip chip bags, marshmallows, etc. I am carrying about 10 of them.
It really is fun outfitting the pod and good mental excercise to think about space-saving, multi-purpose items and determining what you REALLY need to be comfortable.

Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:23pm
I had tried using the 3M Command utensil hooks to no avail. You must be using something different. Mine came right off the wall
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:28pm
The Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape... Have you used it taken it off the Pod wall? Sounds as if might do the job if it does not become permanent as it says.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:34pm

The Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape... Have you used it taken it off the Pod wall? Sounds as if might do the job if it does not become permanent as it says.

Yes.  It'll come off the walls.  Its excellent stuff.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:35pm
Let me qualify that. They worked great for hanging many things in the galley, tray, tiny one egg skillet, hook for pot holders, net bag for onions and potatoes, one on wall for apron, but alas, the same can not be said for the wooden pieces.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:04pm

I had tried using the 3M Command utensil hooks to no avail. You must be using something different. Mine came right off the wall

Clean the spot with alcohol first.

Even with the command strips, I still had to clean some of the pod walls with rubbing alcohol first before attaching the hooks (or adhesive).  You would be surprised at how much of an amber glaze will come off the pod walls in some places.  And about the wood surfaces, I had one 3M strip that would not stay on the wood at the end of the dinette seat until I did that.

It's funny though, because you would think it would leave a whitish spot where I cleaned with the alcohol but it didn't.  Perfectly safe.   
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:09pm
I will try the rubbing alcohol trick when I get back from Texas. Sure worth a try, Thanks
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 6:53pm
I know the instrcutions  said to wipe down the walls but all I did was go over it with a dry cloth because when we first got our pod I noticed there was a thin layer of construction-type dust on everything. I know that dust would prevent good adhesion.
I've used three different types of Command hooks and the velcro hangers and they have all stuck just fine. I used both large and small while plastic Command hooks, several of the fancier metal Command hooks in large and small and one utensil type hook (white plastic with a metal hook) for  hanging the broom. The velcro strips I used on the plastic clock frame so I could take it down to change the battery and also on a wooden picture frame that I could not figure out how to hang with no place to put a hook. That is the one I cut in half up the middle to get a narrower strip as I had only a narrow edge to mount it on.  Both of those items have held just fine.
Now I am wondering if my pod has a different vinyl surface. As I said,  all I did was dust the wall with a paper towel. I did let the hooks 'cure' for an hour before putting any weight on them.
B

Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>