R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod with Solar Option questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod with Solar Option questions
    Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:30am
I have a few questions on the RPod 190 with the factory solar option..

It comes with a 1000-watt inverter, but what outlets does it control? Does the TV work? Does the Microwave work? Do all the outlets work?

Also, I hear that the inverter is under the bed next to the water pump. Is it loud during the night when you’re trying to sleep?

How do you turn the inverter on and off, or does it automatically come on when you unplug the shore power?

Thanks.
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 9:30am
I can tell you what the factory-installed inverter in our 195 does, for what it's worth:

It powers all outlets except the one the fridge plugs in to and likely the one that powers the water heater.  The TV works, but not the microwave.

Our inverter is up front under the sink, and emits a low hum.  I don't think it's loud enough to bother you while you sleep.

Ours has a remote on/off switch mounted just above the microwave.

Beware...if it's the same model as ours (WFCO model WF-5110R) it has a 12-amp circuit breaker; even when it's off and in pass-through mode on shore power you're limited to 12A on that circuit.  Found out the hard way by running a space heater at 100% off one of the outlets.  The space heater at 50% and the TV worked.  Of course the main breaker on that circuit is 15A, so it's not a huge issue.

Link to manual:

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 11:57am
Thanks for the great information and quick response. That's interesting that you loose 3 amps on the outlets.

I wonder if the dealer can hook up the Microwave too. The microwave is rated as 1350 watts which would be 11.25 amps. Obviously everything else would have to be turned off.
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:08pm
I'm not sure that you can run a 1350-watt appliance using a 1000-watt inverter.

Paging the electrical experts...
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by GCRicker

Thanks for the great information and quick response. That's interesting that you loose 3 amps on the outlets.

I wonder if the dealer can hook up the Microwave too. The microwave is rated as 1350 watts which would be 11.25 amps. Obviously everything else would have to be turned off.

Don't forget that the microwave has a pretty high startup surge current. I found that out when I was trying to run it on the Generac iX2000 generator I had. That was the first microwave. It ended up having a problem with the tone that sounds when the cooking is done, so it was replaced under warranty. Then when the RPod went to the factory for repair, the final inspection determined that the convection/microwave failed the testing so it got replaced again. This third convection/microwave will run on the generator but I sure can tell when the magnetron kicks in.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:32pm
Found this:

3 Important Tips When Using a Microwave with a 12v Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Since a 1,000 watt microwave oven will need 1,000 watts of electricity to run, you’d probably think that it’s best to get a power inverter with a capacity of 1,000 watts, right? Wrong. Take note that a microwave’s cooking power does not necessarily reflect the amount of power it requires to run continuously. If you just buy an inverter without checking the power requirements of the microwave, this might result in an overload shutdown on your inverter.

What you should do is check the back or the inside of the microwave oven to determine its power consumption. If the microwave draws 1,550 watts of electricity, you should get a 2,000 watt inverter because 1,550 watts are too much for a 1,500 watt inverter.

Also, inverters draw down batteries pretty quickly, apparently.  If you're planning a lot of boondocking using the inverter you may want to consider beefing up your battery system (e.g., two 6-volts in series or even a Lithium Ion system) if you haven't already.

2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 4:16pm
Even if you could run the microwave on that inverter it draws so much power that it would deplete your battery in short order. If you want to run the microwave, its best to plug in or get a genny. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 4:41pm

I have a few questions on the RPod 190 with the factory solar option..

It comes with a 1000-watt inverter, but what outlets does it control? Does the TV work? Does the Microwave work? Do all the outlets work?

Also, I hear that the inverter is under the bed next to the water pump. Is it loud during the night when you’re trying to sleep?

How do you turn the inverter on and off, or does it automatically come on when you unplug the shore power?

Thanks.

Factory installed and not to a designated outlet seems far to small for most uses. I have a Self-installed 1000 watt inverter and plug directly into that. Currently only to charge my laptop and the occasional wife's use of hairdryer. 

The question is: What do you want it to do? Then can it.. Personally, I'd want an inverter I can shut off when not using. Then again, last run (8K plus miles) it wasn't used at all (and I mainly boondock) and wondering if I will remove it... 

Can you turn it off?? That would be a major point for me. Then what is it costing me compared to a quality unit I can buy and wire in. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:03am
Thank you all for your replies. It appears that I will have to use a 2000-watt inverter if I want to use the Microwave. That means heavier gauge wire between the batteries and the inverter too. I'll talk to my dealer about this and see what he says.

Thanks again all.
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:21am

Thank you all for your replies. It appears that I will have to use a 2000-watt inverter if I want to use the Microwave. That means heavier gauge wire between the batteries and the inverter too. I'll talk to my dealer about this and see what he says.

Thanks again all.

Please let us know what options your dealer might offer.  

I fear that running a microwave off a relatively small inverter may be, err, tricky.  As mentioned it will drain your battery very quickly.  We have always used a generator when off shore power to run the microwave..
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>