R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire Jack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Jack
    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:52am
What do you use for a tire jack on an R-Pod? My SUV has one, of course, and weight matters. Do common scissor jacks work?
John
'16 R-Pod 180
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:56am
I have a hydraulic bottle jack. I also have a jack stand for when I can't get enough height with the bottle jack alone: the jack stand is used to hold the trailer up while re-blocking the bottle jack.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:30pm
The scissor jack in the Tacoma works just fine! I have no reason to carry another. Most OEM truck jacks work fine. Check yours and see... Who knows, you may wish to upgrade that one!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:40pm
Don't count on an auto or small SUV scissors jack to work. I bent the one from my 2016 Ford Escape when I tried to use it. I got a hydraulic trolley jack (small floor jack) to use since it fits under better than a bottle jack and can lift high enough to ensure the tires clear the ground when needed without having to brace and add blocks to raise the RPod higher.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Don't count on an auto or small SUV scissors jack to work. I bent the one from my 2016 Ford Escape when I tried to use it. I got a hydraulic trolley jack (small floor jack) to use since it fits under better than a bottle jack and can lift high enough to ensure the tires clear the ground when needed without having to brace and add blocks to raise the RPod higher.

I've thought about picking up a floor jack at Harbor Freight, but I don't think I'd have room for it while traveling (I tow with an SUV, not a pickup). It would be good for greasing bearings at the storage facility though. The bottle jack is much more portable.

BTW, I tried it once with the scissor jack from our now-deceased Highlander and couldn't budge it once the slack was gone.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 9:28pm
I tried to use both a bottle jack and my truck jack. Neither worked when we had a flat tire on our pod-the jacks were too tall to fit under the axle. We bought a floor jack from Harbor Freight for about $75 dollars that fits in the front storage compartment of the 179. It works perfectly, as I have found from personal experience.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 10:16pm
This is the one I have. It is more compact than a floor jack yet strong enough to lift our RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 10:45pm
We got this jack and it's easy to use and has plenty of lifting power.  https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-rapid-pump-racing-floor-jack-64545.html  Slips into tight spaces quite nicely.  Since it's good for 3000# it can lift one side or the other just fine.  In fact, I used it to jack up my new trailer on each side and stuck the Sherline underneath and got a weight measurement at each wheel along with the tongue.  Later I went to a scale and found it was reasonably accurate.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:15am
Bottle jack. Run the flat tire up on a couple legos if needed. Place jack, change tire, lower trailer. Light(ish) small foot print, inexpensive. Mine was about $15 a "while back" I think they are near $20 now.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:25am
The jack from my Highlander works great for the rpod. It has no problem lifting it, the Highlander axle load rating is higher than the trailer axle max load, so I’m nowhere near overloading the jack. It is designed with a slot to accept the vertical flange on the rocker panel of the suv so it slides over the vertical flange on the axle to frame mount on the trailer. This makes for a very secure strong connection, it would be difficult for the trailer to slip off the jack or to put too much load on the trailer axle or frame. Of course, for safety, leave the trailer hitched to the TV while changing a tire.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>