R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Tender/Charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Tender/Charger
    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:55pm
How about this?

NOCO G3500
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:56am
That would work, but again, if you are leaving your RPod plugged in, the question is , why purchase something to do what the converter in the RPod does already? If you are removing the battery/batteries, then it makes more sense if you have Pb-acid batteries but is not needed if you have an LiFePO4 battery which has a very low self-discharge rate (@3%/month) . Also, the one you pictured has the specifications that it is good for up to 120AH so it would be good for a single 12V Pb-acid or LiFePO4 battery, but not dual 6V batteries which would be over 200AH. You would need to step up to one of the more powerful models in that case. The 7.2A model claims to be able to charge up to 230AH capacity batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:04am

[/QUOTE]

I have also been considering LiFePO4.  I have 2  - 12 volt deep cycles and I really want the weight reduction and increased usable AMPS.  AS I understand it, you can run Lithium batteries down to 10% without damaging the battery vs 50% for wet batteries.

Do you have any concerns around very cold weather?  Seems like today’s lithium’s will withstand cold better.
[/QUOTE]

True you can run them lower, as much as 10%, yet your still better off not going as low in a cycle. Same idea with all batteries, not running them down to suggested low. 

If temperature is the concern while traveling... Lipo's are safe inside the cabin extending the temp range a bit. If talking storage: Bring them inside! They make a great UPS for those Mains lost during the winter!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Jeepinator

I pull my batteries in the winter.  They are in my utility room nice and warm.

Don't confuse  battery capacity with storage longevity. Lead acid batteries have less capacity when they're cold but they will last much longer stored cold than warm. That is bacuse cold temps greatly slow down the internal battery corrosion rate.

The only problem with cold storage of PBA batts is if you don't maintain a charge on them, then they can freeze. But you don't need to charge them very often if its cold, as Jato's case shows,  because their self discharge rate is also much lower when cold. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by StephenH

That would work, but again, if you are leaving your RPod plugged in, the question is , why purchase something to do what the converter in the RPod does already? ......

I agree, but that is what he asked for and it is cheaper than the nearest BatteryTender. 

I do not have electricity in my storage location, but I have a battery cut-off.  So I use a 25 watt solar panel and a BatteryTender charge controller, both from Amazon.  I have a very happy 13.2V battery on just a few hours a day of sun.

none

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q820UK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IFJ73X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The controller is stuck to the back of the panel with double-sided tape and covered with Flex-seal tape.  Bob's your uncle! 

John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:55am
You can also just use a 5 watt solar module with no charge controller as long as you have flooded batteries and no loads connected. 5 watts won’t overcharge the batteries, just check the water level monthly and top off if needed.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:19pm
So to those who already have the LiFePO4 battery set up, as does Stephen H, what was the cost/battery and will the standard converter in the R-Pod charge this or does it need to be changed out to a different converter? And if so, what is that cost?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:05pm
Okay. While the standard charger will "work" in the sense that it could at least partially charge the LiFePO4 battery, it does not work in that the charging profile is for Pb-Acid batteries. LiFePO4 batteries charge at 14.4V. Once charged, they do not have a float charge.

I purchased the WF-8950L2-MBA from Camping World for $219.99 plus my local sales tax. Shipping was free. It was easy to change the converter mainboard. The 8950L2-MBA has the proper charging profile for LiFePO4 batteries. However, it would not be suitable for PB-Acid batteries. I understand Progress has one that can be programmed so one could go back and forth. That capability would come at a higher price though. Check out WFCO's site for more information also. Since the last time I looked, a new power panel was added, the WF-8955LiS which allows one to switch back and forth between PB-Acid and LiFePO4 batteries. However, that would mean swapping out the complete panel.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12