R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Tender/Charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Tender/Charger
    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 10:33am
I am in the market primarily for a battery tender to keep my batteries topped off over the winter but I think I’d like to get something small and portable that I can keep in the rPod in the summer in the event the converter fails and I need to charge my batteries.  Any recommendations?
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 2:42pm
If you aren't removing the battery from the Pod and you're thinking of plugging in a charger, just plug the Pod into 120v and let the converter/charger keep the battery topped off.  It's a very good charger.  That's what I do.

In the event of a converter failure, if you don't already have something else, you can pick up a charger at any Walmart or auto parts store any time.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:37pm
Like T2 I use my converter do the job. Does an excellent job of battery charging. The charger world has many choices. I have a trickle, a small 4 Amp I bought at Harbor Freight and a larger charger that has selectable charge modes and functions. The larger charger I can use to "jump start" an engine. I carry that multi-mode charger on camping trips.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:14am
I pull my batteries in the winter.  They are in my utility room nice and warm.
2017 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 12:50pm
We also pull our batteries in the winter.  Take out in November (northern MI) place on concrete floor in our unheated garage.  Put on 2 amp trickle charge for 24-36 hours for each battery.  Then let them 'hibernate' until the following April when the process is repeated and then re-installed.  The batteries are 12 volt deep cycle Interstates, group size 24.  They just completed their 9th year of dependable service last December.  Whenever they decide to not hold a charge anymore, the decision will be to go to a pair of 6v golf cart batteries.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:40pm
Jato, by that time, you may decide that a LiFePO4 setup is a better idea as it will give you the effective capacity of the dual 6V GC2 batteries at a fraction of the weight (@120 lbs for Pb-H2SO4 vs. @30 lbs for LiFePO4). Plus the service life of the LiFePO4 should be very much longer than any Pb-H2SO4 battery. The prices for them are also much better than they were. I did the conversion myself recently. We haven't had the opportunity to test in real-life use yet but Spring will provide the opportunity.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Jeepinator

I am in the market primarily for a battery tender to keep my batteries topped off over the winter but I think I’d like to get something small and portable that I can keep in the rPod in the summer in the event the converter fails and I need to charge my batteries.  Any recommendations?

Like I said Sunday when we met up, I'll bring my little over or pass it to your wife (she mentioned coming by to have coffee or something w/Colette).

Way too funny that your Jeepinator and I didn't know it!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Originally posted by Jeepinator

Like I said Sunday when we met up, I'll bring my little over or pass it to your wife (she mentioned coming by to have coffee or something w/Colette).

Way too funny that your Jeepinator and I didn't know it!

Thanks OD!  
2017 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Jato, by that time, you may decide that a LiFePO4 setup is a better idea as it will give you the effective capacity of the dual 6V GC2 batteries at a fraction of the weight (@120 lbs for Pb-H2SO4 vs. @30 lbs for LiFePO4). Plus the service life of the LiFePO4 should be very much longer than any Pb-H2SO4 battery. The prices for them are also much better than they were. I did the conversion myself recently. We haven't had the opportunity to test in real-life use yet but Spring will provide the opportunity.

I have also been considering LiFePO4.  I have 2  - 12 volt deep cycles and I really want the weight reduction and increased usable AMPS.  AS I understand it, you can run Lithium batteries down to 10% without damaging the battery vs 50% for wet batteries.

Do you have any concerns around very cold weather?  Seems like today’s lithium’s will withstand cold better.
2017 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:04pm
My concerns are less since I located the battery inside the RPod. My mods have pictures of where I put it. Since it is inside, it is better protected, both from weather and from being taken.

The battery I purchased specifies a lower temperature for discharging is okay, but for charging, it needs to be greater than 32F.  The battery management system should disable charging for temperatures that are too low. By putting it inside, it should stay above that temperature as if we are in it, then we would have heat. When we are not using it, I can turn off the battery cut-off switch to isolate the battery. It would take over a year for the battery to self-discharge. However, if I did not disconnect it, then the parasitic power drains would draw it down in much less time. While we are at home, I can keep the RPod plugged in so the converter is actually supplying the electrical needs of the RPod. The WF8950L2-MBA that I installed in place of the WF-8955-MBA does not have the three stage charge. It has just two stages. One is similar to the bulk charge of the old converter in that it is about 4.6V. Then it drops to 3.6V. It is not technically a "float" charge as LiFePO4 batteries do not require one.

The battery I purchased is less expensive than the Battle Born one which has perhaps the longest warranty, but at a price of over $200 more.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>