R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOff grid camping tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off grid camping tips
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:55am
You don't need a full tank of water for a couple of days, and it won't hurt your MPGs much to carry at least some.  Some people stock up on bottled water.

Keeping your battery topped up is probably the biggest deal.  You should be able to get by for a couple of days, but the fridge and the furnace won't work on a dead battery.  If you're careful and you know what your're doing, you can charge your pod battery from your TV, but you really don't want to end up with no Pod battery and no TV battery!!!  Solar can be good, but it's iffy, depending on the weather.  A generator is the ultimate security, I think.  If you get one, get the quietest inverter/generator you can.  Minimum 2400 watts if you want air conditioning or microwave, maybe down to 1000 watts or less if you just want to charge the battery and maybe watch TV..

I have used AllStays Camp and RV app in the past.  It has a lot of info; almost too much!

Keep an eye on your propane if you'll be using the furnace, especially.  (The fridge will run your battery down in hours if you try to run it on battery.)  You might consider carrying a spare tank.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Medicine Wolf View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:20am
I’m embarking on a 3-6 month journey in my R POD 151. I plan to stay in some rv parks, but have not done much boondocking in the pod. What should I be aware of? What to do about water since I don’t want to drive around with a full fresh water tank etc....is there a site that lists all the free camp spots in the US? Buy a generator? I really don’t plan on staying off grid for more than a couple nights at a time...any help is appreciated..thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123