R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOff grid camping tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off grid camping tips
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 8:38pm
You can add a second 12volt battery and that will help but its not a good idea to match a brand new battery with an older one. You should have two new ones. If you're gonna purchase another battery you may want to consider going to two six volt batteries. Others podders have posted on the forum that they recommend two six volt batteries wired in series.They create more current and will last longer than two 12volt batteries.   I don't have any experience with that setup personally but it makes sense. Search the forum for six volt battery upgrade for more info.   
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:41pm
If you are going to go with 2 six volt batteries, be aware that together they will weigh about 120 lbs. I did use them and could get multiple nights, even when I had to run the furnace. However, I recently converted from the six volt batteries to a single 100 Amp LiFePO4 battery. It is expensive, but will give me essentially the same usable power I had with the six volt batteries since it is not good to run the lead-acid batteries below 50% charge and the LiFePO4 batteries can be used until they are shut down by the integrated Battery Management System (BMS). That means that almost the total capacity can be used and the battery will still have thousands of charge/discharge cycles. The battery should be good for long-term use. If you are really concerned and can afford it, go with a pair of LiFePO4 batteries and connect them in parallel (make sure parallel is possible with the brand if you do this. Some are okay in series but not in parallel). You will have much more capacity with much less weight. My LiFePO4 battery weights about 30 lbs, so I am saving about 90 lbs by doing the conversion. See my mods for details of this conversion. It is another option. I don't know how expensive this battery "generator" you are looking at is, but if you are going to spend a lot of money, changing the RPod's battery likely makes more sense except that the portable unit is portable. However, it may not have nearly as much capacity.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Medicine Wolf

I’m embarking on a 3-6 month journey in my R POD 151. I plan to stay in some rv parks, but have not done much boondocking in the pod. What should I be aware of? What to do about water since I don’t want to drive around with a full fresh water tank etc....is there a site that lists all the free camp spots in the US? Buy a generator? I really don’t plan on staying off grid for more than a couple nights at a time...any help is appreciated..thanks

Where are you going? We boondock a lot and have gone coast to coast across Canada and the northern tier US, Nor'east to Sou'west and the Nor'east Maritimes and have not hit a spot yet where I could not stock up on water. My system is simple, be fill up 6 gallon jugs for drinking and run with a 1/4 tank fresh for washing (us & dishes). 

Filling that gray water tank is more of an issue! If you actually do poo in your toilet.. add that to the list!

I don't have a generator and still have no need. I have no 110v appliance I can't live with out. I also currently run on dual 6v's with 115 watts of usable power (rating is 230watts yet only run max to 50%). If you do a Power Audit you will soon learn how much you use and what 'you' require for battery sizing. I also have a 130w solar panel which actually doesn't get used as much as you think it might, but my TV will charge my batteries while driving and my capacity puts me about 5 days of power (my usage amounts).

Free spots: Allstays is my go to map while traveling. Pro version is pretty darn good. In planning stage I use Google, Gaia and Ioverlander mostly. Freecampsites.net was another I used, but this Ioverlander has newer spots on it, maybe because it's newer folks are reporting on it..
Gaia is quickly becoming the number off the beaten track GPS. Great for research as well There's a map layer for Private/public lands so you know if it's even possible to stay. Shows you roads that google doesn't and allows route planning. The more I use it and learn how, the more I like it.

Another very useful tool is Geocaching.com it shows you where locals have POI's that you may not even realize are there. Even if you don't play, a great tool to find new spots of interest.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:16pm
The answers to your questions are dependent on many variables.  I would start with an energy audit to determine how much 12 volt electricity you need on an average night. Keep in mind you can only run your batteries down 50% till you risk damaging them.  You can run the heater with no 110.  It does not take much to keep the camper warm though.  If you are on 110, you may want to get a small ceramic heater.

I purchased a Renogy 100 watt portable solar panel and I have been very happy with that.  However, you will likely need a generator if you are out more then a couple days without 110.  We have the Honda EU2000 and we are very pleased with the unit.

I would not add a second 12 volt battery.  You have to replace the batteries in pairs.  I would go directly to 2 - 6 volt or Lithium.  There are many benefits to Lithium so I would not dismiss it just looking at the price.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Medicine Wolf

I don't plan to use the TV at all..Ill just use my ipad... I will need heat though..I have a space heater...infrared...Will it run off battery for an entire night? Or should I just use the furnace? 
My battery is 3 years old but Ive hardly used it since ive been plugged in at an rv park for the last 2.5 years..Should I get a new one?

Take it to an auto parts store and have it tested. If you haven't been checking the water, 3 years is getting iffy.

I have a 900/1000 watt suitcase generator I bought from Walmart that will charge the battery and run the TV, radio and all of the appliances but the micro and A/C. It should run all night on a tank if you're mostly heating. It weighs 24 pounds. The fuel capacity is 2 liters, so a gallon a day would be plenty.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Medicine Wolf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:20pm
SO I decided to go with 1 100 watt solar panel, 1500 watt inverter, and a Lithium battery...It's a small camper and im just going to be using the heater and charge my ipad and phone...thats about it
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 5:48am
If that is all your doing then you may want to reconsider the inverter.  The inverter is only needed for AC such as a laptop.  All the devices you mentioned use DC.  When you use the inverter it takes power just to run it.  

Your camper probably has a Zamp connector for plugging in your panel.  You’ll likely need a polarity reverser and a cable extension kit (longer is not better power-wise).  Are you planning to purchase a portable panel with inverter?

I purchased this - 

Renogy 100 Watt Eclipse Monocrystalline Charge 20A Voyager Waterproof Controller Solar Suitcase, 100W-Waterproof https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NADR1CI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_X27tEbHM8QQ9M 

and this - 

Solar Panel Connectors 10AWG for MC4 to SAE Adapter PV Extension Cable Wire for RV Caravan Solar Panels Battery Charger kit with Two SAE to SAE Polarity Reverse Adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW1M1VB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_x47tEbHY8KYC9

I was SUPER impressed with the quality of the product.  

2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
Medicine Wolf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 3:15pm
Flexible panel as my roof is curved....inverter in case I get a laptop...which I might....or other things that might require it...
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:13pm
Medicine Wolf, you can get a cigarette lighter plug inverter that will be more than adequate for charging a computer.  We use one that I got years ago that's so old the output data sticker has fallen off, but it puts out enough more than the 60W to charge our MacBook.  

We have a flexible solar panel that I have used for several years that fit the curve of the roof of our old Pod.  I put some small horn cleats along the bottom edge to tie it down, but I never really liked how it held the panel.  If a stiff wind came up it would move.  More often than not we moved it around on the ground to stay in direct sun light.  When we eventually replace it, I'll get a rigid panel because it's easier to keep it perpendicular to the sun light as you move it.  Since we now have a flat roof, I may also consider a fixed mount, but that's a way off.

According to offgrid, who is an expert in solar, the flexible panels are prone to cell damage and overheating that can burn the surface upon which they are sitting.  I don't think I'd put ours on the roof without something between the panel and the roof surface.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:52am
+1 to Lostagain. Many newer laptops will charge over a USB-C port (and newer phones as well). So unless you have a compelling reason for the inverter, you could go that direction. (BTW, I have a laptop and phone that will charge over a USB-C interface).

I don't have a strong feeling about the flexible solar panels. That technology is changing fairly rapidly. However, I think solar is often where the R-pod isn't (I like to park in the shade for example). So for convenience, one of the suitcase panels might be among the better choices. You can get higher output panels that are not "foldable", but they are difficult to store and handle.

My 2 cents.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>