Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbee
    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:41pm
My wife and I are new to RVing. In November we purchased a 2019 179 and can't wait to give it a try this spring. In the meantime, I have been immersing myself in all things RPod and boy have I a lot to learn. This owner's forum is such a valuable tool for a new owner.
One thing we would like to do in the downtime before spring is to install 2 deep cycle, 6 volt batteries in series so that we have a little more duration when boon docking.
With that said, I have been considering installing a new multi-stage converter/charger (Iota) to facilitate increased charging efficiency and battery life. Unlike earlier models of 179's, the converter on this model is not a separate unit but is built in to the electrical panel. Anyone ever changed this out on a newer model 179?
Thank you for your indulgence.
Dave
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:49pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories doing so.

As for converters, what is the model of the power center? If it is the WFCO 8955, then the converter section is a module in the bottom of the power unit that is visible when the face panel is removed. It is already a multi-stage converter that has the proper profile for charging your batteries, be they a single 12V battery or dual 6V batteries. I know because I have done this. I recently changed for a single LiFePO4 battery which gives me the higher power availability, but at a fraction of the weight of a dual 6V battery setup. See my mods (link in signature) for pictures and explanation of my installation as well as my other mods that I have done since we purchased our 179 in December, 2015.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Hotglass View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:48pm
Thanks for the quick reply Stephen and we appreciate the welcome.
I will check on the power center tomorrow and see if it is the WFCO 8955. This may be what we have because when I removed the face panel there is a module with a fan in the center between the fuse panel and circuit breakers on the other side. I disassembled that unit and it does look suspiciously like a converter/ charger. I would be happy if this is a multi stage unit and didn't have to swap it out.
Again, thanks for your input.
By the way I have checked out a few of your mods...very nice.

Dave
Dave
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:23am
That sounds like it may be a WF-87XX series power center. Check out this link to see if it looks like that. If so, then you can read the specifications there. It has a 3-stage converter.

The one I have in our 2016 RP179 is the WF-8955 which looks like this:
I removed the converter section and installed the WF-8950L2-MBA to suit the LiFePO4 battery I installed recently.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Hotglass View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
You were correct about the power center. It is a WF-8735P which is a 3 stage converter/charger. Thank you so much for your assistance. I have a bunch to learn but having a good resource saves so much time and effort.
Dave
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:26pm
I'm glad I could help. I did not learn about this forum until after our first long trip. That was a steep learning curve! This forum has been a very great resource and I appreciate the contributions so many have made to make it so helpful.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply