R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoof AC Condensation Drain Routing Mod?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof AC Condensation Drain Routing Mod?
    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 3:41pm
OK, I think I'm reaching my limit for questions today, (LOL) you all have been very helpful. LOL One more: We are currently out testing our R-Pod and I'm being anal about having it level. 

When it's nice and level, I noticed the AC condensation water pools up on the roof and then slowly runs toward the rear and pools up again along the black wind deflector (on my model) then off the roof in the back. When the R-Pod is slightly nose down, all the water quickly runs down the front and off to the ground. That's how I keep it on the storage lot. 

I touched up all of the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant first thing when we got this home. It's a 2019 model (I bought used), but it still needed it. There were cracks up there probably 1/16th of an inch in a lot of places. I went over everything that even had a hairline crack, so I know it's sealed well...However...

I would rather it not pool on the roof at all, instead be routed over the side or over the back where the water won't be pooling along a seam or other potential leak area before it runs off. 

Has anyone made a mod to deflect/route the AC rooftop condensation? I can see a hole in the bottom of the pan where it drips on the driver side roof of the AC unit. 
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 6:29pm
My 2015 178 drains to the front almost at the accessory light on the drivers side. I would prefer it does that. It can't go to side and to the spoiler doesn't make sense. When leveling I adjust for that drain path.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:17pm
There are potential problems with installing a drain hose. This would include the possibility of it getting clogged and backing up water until it overflowed the pan to the inside. Another problem is in how to route the hose so that it will stay in place while you are going down the road. If you are going to be leaving it in one place, that is less of a problem. The third would be in how to fasten such a hose in place. Would you then be creating leaks trying to prevent the small possibility of a leak?

The roof of your RPod, unless it is one of the newer 19x models, is a solid fiberglass sheet. You already took the precaution of cleaning and patching the Dicor lap sealant. We have had our RPod since December 2015 and have run the AC during the warmer months, both at home in our driveway, and at campgrounds where we had shore power avialable. We have run it occasionally with the generator also. We have no problems with leaks, even though there is a little ponding of water on the roof.

If you are concerned, just set your RPod just very slightly nose down so that the water will run forward. As long as it is within a degree or two of level, your refrigerator should not have any trouble operating properly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:03am
Spoiler - That's the word I was looking for and couldn't remember! Thanks for the tips, I will try and level it in a slight nose down orientation, I know that works. On the back of ours the spoiler has an inch or so clearance on either side where the water can go around it. But if it hits in the middle it has to run all along the spoiler seam to run off on the edges. That I don't like. 

Just as a makeshift solution, I took a rag and balled it up the size of a tennis ball, then tied about 10 feet of parachute cord to it and threw it up on the roof. I then ran the cord down the back of the unit and it starting wicking the water down the cord and on to the ground. It worked, but I would rather have a more permanent solution.

One method I was thinking about for re-routing the AC condensation water was to Dicor down (in spots) some plastic U-channel under the drip hole to act as a gutter and direct the water. This way, it's not a hose that could clog or block the drain hole and only held on by some dabs of Dicor so no permanent holes, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply